Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do I tell if a Tacoma has the factory towing package?

Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #21
SmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmoothFox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
SmoothFox's Tacoma Gallery
If your buying from the orginal owner ask for the window sticker, it will be on there. Otherwise run the VIN at your local stealership.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn View Post
Perhaps the oil cooler was left off of some towing packages. Glad to have the heavy duty battery and tranny cooler. How do you tell if you have the more heavy duty alternator??
No it is not left off of some packages.
You have an aftermarket set up
TO VERIFY THIS just ask a dealer to print out the window sticker for you from your VIN number
Old 02-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #23
FASTFJR is on a distinguished road
FASTFJR's Tacoma Gallery
The towing package is the towing package. You either have it or you don't. If you run the VIN thru the dealer you will be able to tell.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #24
5.0 Hatch is on a distinguished road
5.0 Hatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 2010 Taco 4X4 Access v6 came with a frame mounted hitch but only the flat hook up vs the round. It also has the 27F battery and smaller radiator in front of the larger. I did not however see a oil cooler. Does this sound correct?
You have what I have. It is a dealer installed "Towing Package". Includes the hitch and a factory flat 4 connection and thats it. FYI, I just installed a brake controller in mine and had to run all wires, the factory connector in the kick panel is not live.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 AM   #25
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Hatch View Post
You have what I have. It is a dealer installed "Towing Package". Includes the hitch and a factory flat 4 connection and thats it. FYI, I just installed a brake controller in mine and had to run all wires, the factory connector in the kick panel is not live.
I believe this to be correct and not the factory towing package. However, I'm not convinced the tranny cooler was dealer added. It appears to be factory installed and is of the same pattern and quality of the regular radiator. As to the 27F battery, not sure but glad it's there. Would still like to know about the alternator.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #26
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
At the "base" of thefan it should be pink. That's how you know you have the towing package. or just run the vin
Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #27
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
The base of the fan is tittie pink.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #28
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The base of the fan is tittie pink.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #29
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what it says on my printout from the dealer regarding the towing package on my '09, and fwiw, mine is a 6speed, with NO transmission cooler:

"V6 Towing Package; 6,500 lbs. Max Towing Capacity, Class 4 Hitch, Supplemental Oil Cooler, 130A Alternator, Heavy Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector w/Converter(TO). Installation Source: Factory"

That's what it says, complete with weird capitalizations.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #30
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
A little bit of history on mine may be in order. It was ordered from the factory when the 2010's first became availalbe. I had to wait 2 months for an Access cab V6 4X4 without the SR5 or TRD package. I originally wanted a 2009 but absolutely none were to be found in a three state area. A lot of dealers told me good luck, that they just are not available in this lower trim. This was also during the buy back program during 2009. Finally got a call from the dealer and he stated one was coming from the factory and was originally slated for TRD package, but they would remove the upgrades and send it. I already know it was wired from the factory for factory cruise control and was just a matter of adding the switch.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #31
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Quote:
A little bit of history on mine may be in order. It was ordered from the factory when the 2010's first became availalbe. I had to wait 2 months for an Access cab V6 4X4 without the SR5 or TRD package. I originally wanted a 2009 but absolutely none were to be found in a three state area. A lot of dealers told me good luck, that they just are not available in this lower trim. This was also during the buy back program during 2009. Finally got a call from the dealer and he stated one was coming from the factory and was originally slated for TRD package, but they would remove the upgrades and send it. I already know it was wired from the factory for factory cruise control and was just a matter of adding the switch.
They don't remove upgrades from a truck - the dealer might but the factory never does.
He was lying out the xxx.

In fact if you want a truck without a radio it costs more because they have to change the assembly line to omit it.
There is no way in blue heaven they are going to send a truck through the assembly line to take off items .

I don't know what his lie was about or why he did it but he was full of it

As far as the wiring for the cruise control a lot of vehicles have the wiring but not the accessory because it is easier to just have one wiring set up for the assembly process
Old 02-25-2010, 06:40 AM   #32
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
He may very well have been lying, but it came exactly as I wanted it and was worth the wait. I have seldom seen the base model Access cab 4X4 V6 without the TRD package. I will check the alternator.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #33

Quote:
He may very well have been lying, but it came exactly as I wanted it and was worth the wait. I have seldom seen the base model Access cab 4X4 V6 without the TRD package. I will check the alternator.
That would be because the TRD package is worth every penny, at least it was to me.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #34
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
I hear ya, the TRD package is very nice. I knew what I wanted but shaved every where I could. I also actually like the black rubber fender extensions on the Silver Streak paint job. This truck will see a lot of time in the deer woods and just did not want/need the painted ones, though they also look very nice. The most it will haul will be a trailer and a couple of four wheelers. The alternator BTW is marked DENSO 12V 31050 part #TN104210-4230. Not sure if it's the heavier duty 130 amp.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #35
5.0 Hatch is on a distinguished road
5.0 Hatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus Truck View Post
At the "base" of thefan it should be pink. That's how you know you have the towing package. or just run the vin
Its pink regardless if you have the towing package are not.

Simply put; if you don't have the 7-pin or the oil cooler then you don't have the "factory" towing package.

The transmission cooler would be set off to the side a bit, i think to the driver side and not centered.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #36
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
What about the Class IV hitch itself? Are these added by dealers?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #37
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog tired View Post
They don't remove upgrades from a truck - the dealer might but the factory never does.
He was lying out the xxx.

In fact if you want a truck without a radio it costs more because they have to change the assembly line to omit it.
There is no way in blue heaven they are going to send a truck through the assembly line to take off items .

I don't know what his lie was about or why he did it but he was full of it

As far as the wiring for the cruise control a lot of vehicles have the wiring but not the accessory because it is easier to just have one wiring set up for the assembly process
Dealers can take a vehicle that is in the queue to be built and sent to them, and make a change request. That's how my '09 was built--they had to trade to get the right model, and it was scheduled to be built in the Timberland Mica color. Then they submitted a change request to have it made in SWB, and when it went through they then marked it a 'sold vehicle'.

It isn't a "custom order", because I didn't sit down and go through the ordering process--it was just a change to an existing order that was being filled for regular dealer stock.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #38
CJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to beholdCJH9980 is a splendid one to behold
Army: RN-Army Reserve 66H
Name: Clint
CJH9980's Tacoma Gallery
What I thought was interesting is that there's no "tow mode" button. Both my dad's chevy and my gf's titan have "tow" buttons. I guess the taco is always in tow mode
Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #39
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Dealers can take a vehicle that is in the queue to be built and sent to them, and make a change request. That's how my '09 was built--they had to trade to get the right model, and it was scheduled to be built in the Timberland Mica color. Then they submitted a change request to have it made in SWB, and when it went through they then marked it a 'sold vehicle'.

It isn't a "custom order", because I didn't sit down and go through the ordering process--it was just a change to an existing order that was being filled for regular dealer stock.
I believe that this is what was done. This particular dealer worked with me for 2 months to find what I wanted. When it could not be done. This is the route he took. I also remember something about an allotment and that we had to wait until his was established before our request could be made. It took patience on my part but was worth the wait to get what I wanted. My next Toyota will come from this dealer.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i know everyone says run the vin but im not close to the dealer at this point and time. i bought the truck new (13 trd off road 4wd 6spd). i was peaked to know if i had it or not even though i really dont plan on using the tow package so i went looking at my sticker with all the details. on the invoice it doesnt say anything about upgraded tow package, but there is a dealer install of for 800 dollars and a misc all weather mat charge of 80 >_>. in my glove compartment there are 3 items still wrapped up. one looks like a harness, one is a plug, and the others is wires (i forget, trying to remember on the top of my head). it does have the 27f battery, "the pink shaft", and the oil cooler. not too sure about the alternator. based on this info, do you guys think i have the upgraded tow package? thanks in advance.