Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How do I tell if a Tacoma has the factory towing package?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Question How do I tell if a Tacoma has the factory towing package?

I am trying to buy my first Tacoma. I am looking for a 2005 or newer 4x4 Double Cab with TRD Off Road package.
I hope it also has the Factory installed towing package so my towing capacity will go form 5000 pounds to 6500 pounds.

My question is:
Is there a way to tell if if had the factory installed towing package by looking at it? I don't know enough about Tacomas to know what to look for under the hood as far as the larger alternator, larger battery, oil and transmission coolers etc.

What should I be looking for as a tell tale sign that the truck I am looking at has it installed from the factory and not just the dealer installed hitch?

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
There is a pic somewhere around of the trans cooler...the only real way of knowing on a used vehicle is to know what parts you are looking for.

But a non-tow equipped V6 4x4 double cab in the United States has a tow capacity of 3500lbs, in Canada the same truck is 5000lbs.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
On my second taco now....
astral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shedastral is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
astral's Tacoma Gallery
The tranny cooler should be easy enough to spot. A mini radiator mounted in front of the normal one.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #4
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Oil cooler underneath the oil filter is the quickest and easiest to spot.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
desert taco is on a distinguished road
desert taco's Tacoma Gallery
Battery Model 27F

You can also look at the battery on the 2005+ Tacoma with the Towing Package as it will be designated as 27F. Hope all the responses help.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
I think all the the round 7 pin plugs are towing package Tacos, I could be wrong but the round plug is what you need for trailer brakes so it makes since that they would only put those on trucks with towing package, someone chime in here I would really like to know myself now.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by astral View Post
The tranny cooler should be easy enough to spot. A mini radiator mounted in front of the normal one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
Oil cooler underneath the oil filter is the quickest and easiest to spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert taco View Post
You can also look at the battery on the 2005+ Tacoma with the Towing Package as it will be designated as 27F. Hope all the responses help.
All 3 above and the fourth item would be a heavier duty alternator. Aside from the hitch, these are the 4 things you get with the towing package.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
It should be noted that a group 27F battery comes standard on all trim levels of Tacoma's in Canada. Not sure about the Northern US States though.

As for the 7 pin connector, it can be installed on a non tow pkg Tacoma so I wouldn't let that be a determining indicator - especially if viewing a pre-owned unit.

Oil cooler and ATF cooler is the sure fire way at a quick glance. ATF cooler could be added easily, so be sure to check for the oil cooler also.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the oil cooler mentioned above?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Yea ... that the oil cooler below the oil filter.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
All 3 above and the fourth item would be a heavier duty alternator. Aside from the hitch, these are the 4 things you get with the towing package.
Don't forget that hot pink radiator fan shaft!!! At least on the '08's.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
kanelakos has a spectacular aura aboutkanelakos has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Prime BEEF Unit,DMAFB
kanelakos's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I would run the vin number to be sure. If truck is at a dealer, maybe the carfax would show it.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #14

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Don't forget that hot pink radiator fan shaft!!! At least on the '08's.
Fan clutches are pink on most (if not all) models. My 2005 TRD OR non tow pkg has a pink fan clutch.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #15
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
It should be noted that a group 27F battery comes standard on all trim levels of Tacoma's in Canada. Not sure about the Northern US States though.

As for the 7 pin connector, it can be installed on a non tow pkg Tacoma so I wouldn't let that be a determining indicator - especially if viewing a pre-owned unit.

Oil cooler and ATF cooler is the sure fire way at a quick glance. ATF cooler could be added easily, so be sure to check for the oil cooler also.
Hate to have to ask this, but does that mean the MTs do not have the transmission oil cooler?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
BWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of lightBWro is a glorious beacon of light
BWro's Tacoma Gallery
MT's dont have tranny coolers
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 Taco 4X4 Access v6 came with a frame mounted hitch but only the flat hook up vs the round. It also has the 27F battery and smaller radiator in front of the larger. I did not however see a oil cooler. Does this sound correct?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #18
Iamsheppy is on a distinguished road
Iamsheppy's Tacoma Gallery
Purchased my 2008 Tacoma last month, and due to a rather hectic schedule I am only now getting to go beneath the hood. It supposedly has the Towing Package, but I am finding what dbarn is - frame mounted hitch, flat hookup, 27F battery, smaller radiator situated in front of the larger, and no oil cooler. Also, fuse in front relay box is 120 - read somewhere it should be 130. What gives? Is this a true Tacoma "Towing Package"?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #19
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not a factory tow package. Some dealers will install a tow package after the truck arrives from the factory.

Flat trailer plug is not factory. Aftermarket trans coolers are cheap and easy to install. The oil cooler is unique and would have to be ordered from toyota and is $500 most places I have looked.

So the dealer or someone probably installed this tow package, but it did not come from the factory like that.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
dbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to beholddbarn is a splendid one to behold
dbarn's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps the oil cooler was left off of some towing packages. Glad to have the heavy duty battery and tranny cooler. How do you tell if you have the more heavy duty alternator??