1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

87 or 93 octane?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rich8419, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Mar 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM
    Rich8419

Rich8419 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab Short Bed Offroad Pkg
    weathertech floor liners, scan guage, gatekeeper
    what octane rating is suggested for the 4x4 4 cylinder tacos?

2. Mar 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    What year?

Probably the 87. Your owner's manual should say.

3. Mar 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    Rich8419

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    in the '08s. The problem is I haven't bought the truck yet :(
    I'm 80% convinced to go with the 4x4 regular cab 2.7L. A dude at work showed me what a 4x4 could really do and now i'm hooked.

4. Mar 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    You can run 87 in the 2.7 or the 4.0. The computer adjusts accordingly.

5. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Yeah but ya lose a little power in the six 'cause the computer retards your timing down to minimize ping

6. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:06 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    before gas prices went so high, i was running premium, as i can tell a good difference between that and regular in my 4.0 v6. at this point,with the high prices, i've been running midgrade......cant really tell a difference between that and premium.

7. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:08 PM
    Rich8419

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Good thing i'm eyeballing the 4 cylinder. I don't need to tow regularly and when I do (maybe once a year) its light.

8. Mar 26, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Good question and follow ups. I don't have my new truck yet but a friend at work has a V6 and says premium is what the owners manual says. I wish they offered the I4 in more trucks. As it is what I'm interested in is hard to find. If I wanted the I4 (not sure it is even offered) I would be an old man before it was available.

9. Mar 26, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    actually,the owners manual says "for best performance"....premium should be used. i can tell a good differencr between running reg. and premium, a little better mileage also.

10. Mar 26, 2008 at 6:20 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Same here. The ECU retards the timing to prevent knock/detonation therefore giving you less power. Some people care, others don't. Me, I want all the power I paid for.

11. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/best-gasoline-station-has-best-gas.html

In the current world of $4 a gallon gasoline, everyone is looking for an edge. Whether it’s additives that don’t really work or little gadgets that don’t really work, we’re looking for anything that will squeeze out a couple more MPG from the car we already have.
    The next logical step is to ask whether the gas at various gas station companies makes a difference. For the longest time, I believed that the gas from Exxon was better than the gas from Costco. I did empirical studies where I saved my gas pump receipts and calculated my average MPG and the Exxon gas did give me 2-3 MPG extra. However, after further research, I believe that my driving behavior and routes had a greater effect on fuel efficiency than the label on the pump.
    The gas from one company is essentially identical to the gas from another.
    Government law requires that all gasoline certain detergents that help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. This means that all the fancy brand name gas stations and their fancy “additives” are all required and that all gas contains them. Some say that the detergents from brand name companies go above and beyond but my perspective is that you only want the minimum standard, which is required of all gasoline. Why do you want more detergent than you really need? I don’t want more detergent in my gasoline, I want as little as possible because that gives me more gasoline! (I’m only kidding, the added volume in detergent is tiny)
    Many gas brands share pipelines. According to a Smart Money article on what Gas Stations Won’t Tell You, Chevron gas stations might sell gas refined by another company like Shell or Exxon Mobil, with the difference between their gas being a quart of detergent added to an 8,000 gallon tanker truck! After a little digging, I found these maps of pipelines in the US and there aren’t that many pipelines. There are certainly as many pipelines as there are gas brands, so the fact that they mix and match isn’t that surprising.
    If there was a difference, we’d know about it by now. The power of the free markets is very strong, if a particular brand of gasoline was definitely superior, we’d know. We’d know because it would be more expensive because the higher performance would justify the higher cost. Since there isn’t a brand that exists with significantly superior performance at a higher price, it’s clear that they’re all pretty much the same (and these brands have been around for decades).
    If you really want to make a difference, you can save more money by buying the cheaper gas and then adding a fuel injector cleaner with every oil change. I’ve used many a fuel injector cleaners, which you can find in any auto parts store, but can’t really say I can tell. The mechanic friends of mine say that while it can’t hurt, don’t bother getting expensive cleaner, just get the cheap stuff.
    Oh, another tip, don’t buy higher octane than you need, it’s a waste of money

12. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Chemtool makes a pretty good one that I use every once in awhile... $2.37 at WallyWorld. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top