Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A/C on with Defrost

Old 12-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #221
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPib View Post
Oh dear god, THANK YOU! I got to page 6 or 7 and gave up.

Could the first post be updated to reflect that there is a 2009+ mod as well? PLEEEEASE? pretty please....
Done... Now quit your whining!! LoL
Old 01-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #222
Thunder Fish is on a distinguished road
Thunder Fish's Tacoma Gallery
This mod should really have sticky on it.Easy,smart mod for those that do not need A/C running in defrost,I live on the west coast and it rarely gets below freezing and when it does it rarely gets to -5C.
I did not like coming out to the truck after work and having to deal with a fogged windshield inside from the A/C running,due to the fact I forgot to shut my defrost a few minutes before parking it
Some people have mentioned that this might damage the A/C compressor as it is designed to run full time as on most Toyota products,but the Tacoma's still have a electric clutch vs swash plates so no worries there either.......thank you so much for this simple,quick mod
Old 02-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #224
RBaptist is on a distinguished road
RBaptist's Tacoma Gallery
PERFECT Write up!
Just did it on my 2007 Access Cab 2.7 Prerunner SR5.

I hated having the AC on if I didn't need it. Sometimes I'd rather just have the fresh air on and not blowing in my face. This did the trick! Thanks for putting this here (even though I am a late comer to the thread)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #225
CSCHOL is a jewel in the roughCSCHOL is a jewel in the roughCSCHOL is a jewel in the rough

Marines:
Name: Chad
CSCHOL's Tacoma Gallery
Way to easy...3 min start to finish
Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #226
Oh. Bummer.
TastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to allTastyHuman is a name known to all
TastyHuman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAV8R View Post
Awesome find. Looks fairly simple to do. I was bummed when toyota first decided to activate A/C when defrost is on. Most defrosters work with heat not a/c. Whats the deal?
Said like a man from the dry American Southwest. In humid and wet areas heat alone is almost useless in clearing fog, only dehumidification works and that's what the A/C provides. Sometimes I'd like to be able to turn the A/C off when running defrost but 90% of the time it is needed here.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #227
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyHuman View Post
Said like a man from the dry American Southwest. In humid and wet areas heat alone is almost useless in clearing fog, only dehumidification works and that's what the A/C provides. Sometimes I'd like to be able to turn the A/C off when running defrost but 90% of the time it is needed here.
You're talking about fog, 98% of this conversation is about removing frost in sub freezing temperature.

But you are right for your situation.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #228
Inverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to beholdInverno4 is a splendid one to behold
Inverno4's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know if this mod works with 1st gens? I'd like to do this to my truck this weekend.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #229
Volt is on a distinguished road
Volt's Tacoma Gallery
I "THINK" as a general rule with most makes, the air conditioner compressior will not come on with the defrost if the outside temp is below a certain temp.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #230
funnyodd is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
funnyodd's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Defroster disable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fohlkmann View Post
I just completed this mod on my 2010 Taco. I too couldn't release the green wire from the connector, and it finally broke after struggling with it for like an hour. The A/C then turned on 100% of the time as the other 2009/2010 owners have commented. And the recirculate light/function was then disabled.

But I also found the fix. Measuring the voltage on the green wire coming from the servo motor/connector, I noticed it only read 0V when in defrost-only mode. Turning the air-vent-mode dial to any other position caused it to read greater than 0V. Turning to the vent-only position caused it to read +12V. So I simply tied the green wire going to the A/C amplifier to +12v and all works great now! I can now toggle both A/C and recirculate during any functionality (A/C and recirculate are no longer hard-tied during defrost modes).

Details:
1) Cut green wire. Tie off the side coming from the servo motor/connector so it doesn't short to anything, it'll never be needed again.
2) The other end of the green wire goes to the A/C amplifier per the schematics I found on this site. Tie this end to +12V. The pink wire happens to be +12V. So just connect this end of the green wire to the pink wire and you're done!

Thanks again for posting this fantastic mod. I wouldn't have figured this out any other way.
Thanks gobs for such a great mod. I give you multiple GOLD stars, thanks again
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #231
BaLLZaCH is on a distinguished road
BaLLZaCH's Tacoma Gallery
Question Well, back to the drawing board; This does *not* work on a 2012 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fohlkmann View Post
I just completed this mod on my 2010 Taco. I too couldn't release the green wire from the connector, and it finally broke after struggling with it for like an hour. The A/C then turned on 100% of the time as the other 2009/2010 owners have commented. And the recirculate light/function was then disabled.

But I also found the fix. Measuring the voltage on the green wire coming from the servo motor/connector, I noticed it only read 0V when in defrost-only mode. Turning the air-vent-mode dial to any other position caused it to read greater than 0V. Turning to the vent-only position caused it to read +12V. So I simply tied the green wire going to the A/C amplifier to +12v and all works great now! I can now toggle both A/C and recirculate during any functionality (A/C and recirculate are no longer hard-tied during defrost modes).

Details:
1) Cut green wire. Tie off the side coming from the servo motor/connector so it doesn't short to anything, it'll never be needed again.
2) The other end of the green wire goes to the A/C amplifier per the schematics I found on this site. Tie this end to +12V. The pink wire happens to be +12V. So just connect this end of the green wire to the pink wire and you're done!

Thanks again for posting this fantastic mod. I wouldn't have figured this out any other way.

Hello everyone,

(This is my first post here but I'm not new to forums or 2005+Tacoma.)

I also realize I am bumping an old thread - Time to resurrect this thread for 2012 models!

*** This mod currently does NOT work on 2012 Tacoma ***

I just tried this mod on my new 2012 2Wheel SR5 Prerunner6lug v6 4liter Automatic (If any of that matters). Toyota has changed a few things on this truck from the 05-08 / 09-11 models, like the fog-light relay location and also apparently this wiring for defrost/AC compressor/switch. (I also had an 05' but never tried this mod...)

Based on fohlkmann's tinkering and the OP, I first removed the green wire (next to red). As stated in a previous post, it"magically" released after about 15 minutes of trying - I used 2 very small "jewelers" flat head (slotted) screw drivers, first pop off the white "cap", then inserted 1 blade into "T-slot" wiggled and used 2nd blade to push out pin from behind. Just keep at it and DO NOT use too much force.

Once removed, I tried as-is, and got predicted results - (Recirculation not working and AC always on).

So then I soldered-up a fused jumper to connect the red and green wires (towards the harness side, not the plug side) as per fohlkmann's write up. (Instead of just splicing it in, I did not want to cut anything and wanted extra protection in case "I" f'd up...) - If you CLEANLY solder the stripped end (maybe 1/4") of (maybe 18-to-22awgwire) it will neatly plug into the socket behind the red wire and into the removed pin of the green wire.

I thought I was good to go. But,
It didn't work. (2012model)...

Same results as having it simply unplugged or just 1 green removed. Nothing changed... LUCKILY I didnt short anything or screw anything up, it all went back to factory operating condition ...

SO, I started tinkering. (But no results),,,

Fohlkmann stated that the green wire had variable voltage based on selector knob. Well, based on my findings on the 2012, this is true if it is plugged in [that's why he said that wire was still being 'driven a voltage'], but I ALSO FOUND the the Green/Black wire is being 'driven at voltages' on the HARNESS side, not the plug side.... ; Here is what I found:

(Vehicle on)

A: PLUG UNPLUGGED.

1a: Pink (Red) wire has 12v+

2a: Green wire has 0.02 v+

3a: Green/Black stripe has 0.01 v+

4a: White has 0v+.

B: Selector knob turned with plug unplugged:

1b: Pink stays 12+v

2b: Green stays 0 <****

3b: Green / black stripe CHANGES, 14v, 12v, 6v, 3v, 2v, 0v....From foot to defrost. Last two defrost settings (Mix and windshield) are 2 then 0, respective.

4b: No change.

**** NOTE that the green/black changed ****

*** BUT ***

C: Plug plugged back in, vehicle on, selector switch beingchanged: (I measured this by sticking the meter prong into the back of theconnector WHILE it was connected as OEM factory working condition).

1c: Pink/red, still 12v+

2c: Green CHANGES, just as listed above for green/black, the SOLID GREEN now changes with selector switch. So I guess this tell me that it is being fed ('driven') from either the red(pink) or green/black wire once plugged in ??? ....

---------------

So, if anyone can check, pull the plug on your 2009-2011(NOT 2012) and check the green/black wire (while unplugged) while cycling through the selector. See if it stays 12+v or changes like it does on mine...

Something tells me that it has something to do with BOTHgreen wires now....
(Crap, I tried posting a pic but maybe later)....

ANY IDEAS ???

Thanks all !
Old 09-09-2012, 06:28 AM   #232
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I was going to run out this morning and do this on my truck. Good thing I jumped to the end of the thread first.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #233
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013, and based on BaLLZaCH's post, it seemed to me that tying the green wire to the pink wire would have to work, even though he said it wouldn't. So I went out and tried it, and it works perfectly on my truck.

I cut the green wire (the one right beside the pink wire) and spliced the end that goes under the black plastic casing to the pink wire.
The pink wire is still connected on both ends as it always was.
The end of the green wire that is coming out of the plug end is just hanging, taped off, and no longer connected.

The A/C no longer comes on automatically when the defrost or defrost/floor is selected. The A/C and recirculate both work as normal in all other selections, and it can also be turned on when the defroster is on by pushing the button.

I had done this on my '10 Tacoma when I still had that one, and it also worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLZaCH View Post
Hello everyone,

(This is my first post here but I'm not new to forums or 2005+Tacoma.)

I also realize I am bumping an old thread - Time to resurrect this thread for 2012 models!

*** This mod currently does NOT work on 2012 Tacoma ***

I just tried this mod on my new 2012 2Wheel SR5 Prerunner6lug v6 4liter Automatic (If any of that matters). Toyota has changed a few things on this truck from the 05-08 / 09-11 models, like the fog-light relay location and also apparently this wiring for defrost/AC compressor/switch. (I also had an 05' but never tried this mod...)

Based on fohlkmann's tinkering and the OP, I first removed the green wire (next to red). As stated in a previous post, it"magically" released after about 15 minutes of trying - I used 2 very small "jewelers" flat head (slotted) screw drivers, first pop off the white "cap", then inserted 1 blade into "T-slot" wiggled and used 2nd blade to push out pin from behind. Just keep at it and DO NOT use too much force.

Once removed, I tried as-is, and got predicted results - (Recirculation not working and AC always on).

So then I soldered-up a fused jumper to connect the red and green wires (towards the harness side, not the plug side) as per fohlkmann's write up. (Instead of just splicing it in, I did not want to cut anything and wanted extra protection in case "I" f'd up...) - If you CLEANLY solder the stripped end (maybe 1/4") of (maybe 18-to-22awgwire) it will neatly plug into the socket behind the red wire and into the removed pin of the green wire.

I thought I was good to go. But,
It didn't work. (2012model)...

Same results as having it simply unplugged or just 1 green removed. Nothing changed... LUCKILY I didnt short anything or screw anything up, it all went back to factory operating condition ...

SO, I started tinkering. (But no results),,,

Fohlkmann stated that the green wire had variable voltage based on selector knob. Well, based on my findings on the 2012, this is true if it is plugged in [that's why he said that wire was still being 'driven a voltage'], but I ALSO FOUND the the Green/Black wire is being 'driven at voltages' on the HARNESS side, not the plug side.... ; Here is what I found:

(Vehicle on)

A: PLUG UNPLUGGED.

1a: Pink (Red) wire has 12v+

2a: Green wire has 0.02 v+

3a: Green/Black stripe has 0.01 v+

4a: White has 0v+.

B: Selector knob turned with plug unplugged:

1b: Pink stays 12+v

2b: Green stays 0 <****

3b: Green / black stripe CHANGES, 14v, 12v, 6v, 3v, 2v, 0v....From foot to defrost. Last two defrost settings (Mix and windshield) are 2 then 0, respective.

4b: No change.

**** NOTE that the green/black changed ****

*** BUT ***

C: Plug plugged back in, vehicle on, selector switch beingchanged: (I measured this by sticking the meter prong into the back of theconnector WHILE it was connected as OEM factory working condition).

1c: Pink/red, still 12v+

2c: Green CHANGES, just as listed above for green/black, the SOLID GREEN now changes with selector switch. So I guess this tell me that it is being fed ('driven') from either the red(pink) or green/black wire once plugged in ??? ....

---------------

So, if anyone can check, pull the plug on your 2009-2011(NOT 2012) and check the green/black wire (while unplugged) while cycling through the selector. See if it stays 12+v or changes like it does on mine...

Something tells me that it has something to do with BOTHgreen wires now....
(Crap, I tried posting a pic but maybe later)....

ANY IDEAS ???

Thanks all !
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #234
2010prerunner is a jewel in the rough2010prerunner is a jewel in the rough2010prerunner is a jewel in the rough2010prerunner is a jewel in the rough
Name: Paul
2010prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Does disconnecting that green wire ALSO prevent the A/C from coming on when you set the tempature selector to coolest (fully counterclockwise)? I hate the way Toyota tweaked the HVAC controls!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #235
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010prerunner View Post
Does disconnecting that green wire ALSO prevent the A/C from coming on when you set the tempature selector to coolest (fully counterclockwise)? I hate the way Toyota tweaked the HVAC controls!
No, but I hate that too. I tried once to find a way to disable that, but I couldn't do it.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #236
paulismydog is on a distinguished road
paulismydog's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Double cab. Splicing green to pink wire worked perfect on my truck.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #237
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just pull out the A/C fuse instead? In 99.9% of autos with A/C, there is a 10A fuse for the compressor clutch. Why perform surgery on a perfectly good wiring harness?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #238
raskal is on a distinguished road
raskal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
Why not just pull out the A/C fuse instead? In 99.9% of autos with A/C, there is a 10A fuse for the compressor clutch. Why perform surgery on a perfectly good wiring harness?
ummmm cause then when we wanted A/C we wouldn't get our cold air

this mod is just to prevent the A/C from cycling when we want defrost on, but not cold air.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #239
EdinAthens is on a distinguished road
Name: Ed
EdinAthens's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if I did this mod on my 2014 that then I could use the disconnected defrost A/C trigger wire to activate a Heated Mirror timer since I have no switch blanks....I really want some heated mirrors.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #240
07terry is on a distinguished road
Army:
07terry's Tacoma Gallery
how do you get the vents to stop blowing when the floor only is selected my 07 still has some air passing through