Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A/C on with Defrost

Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #41
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okkine View Post
This is good to know for when I get my Tacoma. I seem to recall seeing the "A/C Linked Defrost" on the sticker when I was browsing around at the dealer, but didn't really give a second thought about what that meant. Seems like a stupid feature to me, but then I'm one of those guys who hates letting computers make decisions for me.... I'm quite capable of cracking a window or turning on the A/C if it gets too foggy, thank you. My vents are always set to either windshield, floor, or both (Not too fond of having the front vents blowing towards me). This mod should save me a buck or two. Thanks.
You can try using the "feet only" zone setting. It does the front side vents near the windows, floor, and windshield. So it basically circulates air throughout the entire cab in addition to covering the windshield to kill fog. I leave mine set to that almost all the time since I don't like getting hit in the face with hot/cold air all the time either.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
I made this mod a couple of days ago after doing the illuminated 4wd switch mod.

I'm now fairly sure my '03 Corolla also has the same "feature". I always have it on windshield / floor mix. I'm sure some gas was wasted because of it as most of the 140K were put on in the desert.

Bet my '04 Sienna does the same thing.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 AM   #43
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
I made this mod a couple of days ago after doing the illuminated 4wd switch mod.

I'm now fairly sure my '03 Corolla also has the same "feature". I always have it on windshield / floor mix. I'm sure some gas was wasted because of it as most of the 140K were put on in the desert.

Bet my '04 Sienna does the same thing.
My 98 corolla still has the windshield/floor without AC. Only kicks the ac on in Windshield only mode unless I push the button. Kinda wish the truck was like that, but I'm too lazy to fix it.

too much other crap to fix around here....
Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #44
capecodtim is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
capecodtim's Tacoma Gallery
AC Mod

Thanks for the MOD a simple solution to a stupid design. I have heard that upper end Fords have an option to turn off the AC on the defroster, so I don't buy the "have to run the AC to exicise the the berings."
Once again thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #45
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodtim View Post
Thanks for the MOD a simple solution to a stupid design. I have heard that upper end Fords have an option to turn off the AC on the defroster, so I don't buy the "have to run the AC to exicise the the berings."
Once again thanks
Welcome to TW! I did this mod the other day myself. Sure was easy.
From what I've read, another purpose of this is to blow dehumidified air onto the winshield.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #46
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
I did the mod last summer; I see a good need for dehumidified air as I live in a humid environment and am needing to turn on the a/c even with the heat on to defrost the windshield. I guess now that I understand the feature I like having it in a manual mode.

I lived in Colorado (for 41 years)and I would have never needed this feature as it is dry there.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #47
Armkb is on a distinguished road
Armkb's Tacoma Gallery
OK...this is my first post so be gentle. Recently bought a 2009 Tacoma DC Sport LB, V6/Auto. Great truck!! It replaced a 2004 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel CC that I hated to part with, but the way Ford treats its customers, I didnt dare own it out of warranty. So when the 5yr/75K warranty was almost xpired I knew it was time. It was a toss up between the Toyota and Nissan Frontier. Liked the Nissan but knew the Toyota would be the better of the two in terms of longevity and durability.

Anyway got busy doing some cheap free mods as found here in the forum and am having a problem with the Defrost/AC Mod as outlined in the post. I had no problem locating and removing the D3 connector to the defroster servo but try as I might I could not remove the green wire from the connector. I have removed plenty of wires from connectors in the past but this one just wouldnt give in. I tryed all kinds of thin wires and clips and screwdrivers but it would not come out. Was about to give up...when the wire suddenly broke from the terminal. I guess from all the tuggging and pulling I must have weakened the copper wire to the point of breaking.

Figured it was diconnected anyway which is what was needed...so I reconnected the connector and started the truck and guess what? The A/C still operates when in the Defrost mode. So I guess for the 09 models it may not be the solid green wire. Only thing is now the compressor seems to be working even in the other modes as well. ARGG!!!

So now what do I do? I still cant get the terminal out of the connector to resplice it back to the green wire. And if and when I do correct it, does any one know which wire is the correct one for an 09 model? Sorry for the long post! Hope to keep posting in the future as I learn more about the truck!! Happy Trucking!!
Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #49
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe this is simple, but I'm not seeing it. How do you remove the white retainer?

Thanks,
GA

OK - got it. Not an easy little contraption, but I got it done. Very cool. Thanks CountryBoy.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #51
zuter will become famous soon enough
zuter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks CtryBoyInMT

I did something similar to my 05 Dakota since they had the AC on in the defrost modes. I always drive around with defrost running...force of habit really! I wondered if my Tacoma was doing the same thing...now that I know I'll be doing this little mod ASAP.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #52
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuter View Post
Thanks CtryBoyInMT

I did something similar to my 05 Dakota since they had the AC on in the defrost modes. I always drive around with defrost running...force of habit really! I wondered if my Tacoma was doing the same thing...now that I know I'll be doing this little mod ASAP.
Zuter,

Proceed with caution as I have heard that 09's may be different. I cannot confirm nor deny is.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #53
stevedidj is on a distinguished road
stevedidj's Tacoma Gallery
Another satisfied TW customer - thanks for the mod, dudes! In my 2008 4-cylinder SR5, I now have better performance (and presumably mileage) while blowing air on the windshield without the dang compressor on all the time . . . I can control the compressor the way I like. BTW FWIW, my 2000 Toyota Sienna does not automatically turn the compressor on with defrost. Nor has any other vehicle I've ever owned . . . "A/C linked defrost" or whatever it's called was probably designed to alleviate a large number of service complaints from people who don't know how to defrost a windshield . . . my guess at least!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #54
Krp2nite is on a distinguished road
Krp2nite's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, this worked great. I prefer to choose if the A/C is on or not and have been wondering how to fix this--makes freeing up a little extra power for highway ramps easy without having to turn off the defroster. Thanks a ton
Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #55
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
smartest 11yo

you should be on are you smarter than a 5th grader
Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #56
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for figuring this out.

This A/C running all the time has been driving me crazy since day one. (almost a year now)

I noticed from the very first day while sitting at a light the tach would climb every now and then an I knew it was because some sort of load was taking place but I didn't have a clue as to what was causing it.

About a month went by and I discovered by accident that it was tied into the defrost switch.

Talked to my dealer and was told it was required by law which I figured was just the typical BS excuse.

I started doing a search tonight and got linked here from another forum and registered so I could view the pics and also say Thanks.

I'm going to do a mileage check and then give that A/C a vasectomy

Thanks again
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #57
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Question

WTF!!! Is every ones Tacoma the same? My A/C does not turn on automatically with the defrost.
Or at least the light does not come on the A/C button.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #58
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
The light does not come on, but the compressor does.

GA
Old 01-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #59
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
WTF!!! Is every ones Tacoma the same? My A/C does not turn on automatically with the defrost.
Or at least the light does not come on the A/C button.
Light doesn't come on, but the system is on in a reduced power mode, so to speak.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #60
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Light doesn't come on, but the system is on in a reduced power mode, so to speak.
Ohhh!! So pretty much the A/C is "on" when I am in defrost mode and the light stays off? Hey pierced, did you do the map light mod yet?!?!