Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A/C on with Defrost

Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb MOD: Using Defrost without the A/C.

*** DO YOU OWN A 2009+ TACOMA??? ***
*** STOP RIGHT NOW AND CLICK THE LINK BELOW!!! *****

2009+ Owners Click Here
(I cannot verify the accuracy of the 2009+ Tacoma version)

So I got bored and wanted to disable the A/C from coming on when selected the mixed(floor/windshield) and windshield only modes on the environmental selector. It kind of sucks to have the heat on in the middle of the winter only to have the A/C turn on and waste MPH.
So consider this is an Eco-Friendly mod!
After looking at the schematics I found that the green wire from the D3 connector triggered the A/C amplifier to engage the compressor. There is also a separate trigger wire for the manual A/C switch. Bonus!
Here is how it's done:

Locate the D3 connector on the defroster servo and remove it.

Remove the white retainer and insert a small piece of wire to release the SOLID Green #3 wire. Not the Green with Black stripe.

Fold it back for safe keeping and tape it up to prevent shorting.

Then plug it back into the Servo. Don't forget to re-install the white retainer!!

I've tested this for a few days and the A/C will still turn on with the manual A/C button on the environmental control panel.

--------------------
Edit:
There were some questions on how to remove the terminal from the plug (plastic) and I just wanted to clarify for those who have yet to take one part.
After you remove the white retainer, you still need to insert the helper wire, into the inverted 'T' slot below the square slot, to remove the spring loaded clip still holding the terminal to the plug.

-----------------
Edit:
Fellow TW member rlg0613 suggested a jewelers screwdriver which I didn't even think of.

------------
Edit:
I added a diagram to clarify this.
Attached Thumbnails
A/C on with Defrost-untitled.jpg   A/C on with Defrost-ac.jpg   A/C on with Defrost-ac1.jpg   A/C on with Defrost-ac2.jpg   A/C on with Defrost-ac3.jpg  

Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Patron Prince
rlg0613 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
rlg0613's Tacoma Gallery
Neat mod. It would be nice to be able to bring that green wire out to a dash switch. That would allow the A/C to kick on when it's fogging up due to high humidity in the cabin. I know a lot of times in cold weather the problem is the cold windshield, but there are times (even with the heat on) when the A/C helps. Just my un-scientific opinion.

Bob
Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up, country boy!! this should be stickied, or put in the cheap mods thread!! good job!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
WOOT! I've been waiting for someone to find a way to do this!
+ to rep for being a genius!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If anyone wants to recommend this as a Sticky or added to PT's list, feel free to nominate.
I'm just sharing some helpful things I've found.
I'm just to modest to nominate myself!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Patron Prince

rlg0613's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
You still can, have the heat on and the A/C for the dehumidifying.
You just press the A/C button.
Doh! It was a long day, my brain wasn't in gear...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome find. Looks fairly simple to do. I was bummed when toyota first decided to activate A/C when defrost is on. Most defrosters work with heat not a/c. Whats the deal?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
you get some rep for that one ctryboy! too bad i'm afraid to touch the wiring on my truck.... who wants to do it for me?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
ndcouch, that is not ignorance (compliment) is your way of doing things, lazy boy, easier for you open your windows and that will defrost even your wettest ideas, that is if you have the pw if not burn baby burn, hot and humid.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvega1969 View Post
ndcouch, that is not ignorance (compliment) is your way of doing things, lazy boy, easier for you open your windows and that will defrost even your wettest ideas, that is if you have the pw if not burn baby burn, hot and humid.
Dan? is that you?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #12
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
nice write up, country boy!! this should be stickied, or put in the cheap mods thread!! good job!!!
Added to the T.O.C.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
carriggjr is on a distinguished road

carriggjr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so what panel did you find the connector behind, and how does it come loose?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriggjr View Post
Ok, so what panel did you find the connector behind, and how does it come loose?
The only thing you need to remove is the glove box. Push in on the two limit stops holding it and lift the box off the hinge. The First picture is taken from the passenger seat looking toward the center of the dash through the opening left from removing the glove box.

Edit: Just about forgot... If you still have that pathetic waste of a shock on the glove box, you need to remove that, too!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
So you are telling me the AC comes on when I select defrost (windshield)?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdawg25 View Post
So you are telling me the AC comes on when I select defrost (windshield)?
If you have Air Conditioning, yes.
When the environmental selector is set to either Floor/Windshield mix or Windshield only, the A/C compressor is triggered. The inlet air runs through the A/C condenser before it is ran through the heater core and delivered to the system.
The engineering thought process behind this layout is to "dry" the incoming air, reducing the fog buildup on the windshield.
In all justification, this process is sometimes needed on humid days when the windshield is cool and the incoming moisture condenses on the windshield (creating fog). Once the windshield is warm enough, this "Drying" is no longer needed. Unfortunately the system cannot detect this and continues to run the A/C system.

We 'Smarter than the average human' Tacoma owners do not need this.
We will immediately recognize this situation, therefore taking the appropriate corrective action and push the A/C button.
Likewise, when no longer needed, we can opt to de-select the A/C function reducing the drag on the engine and increasing power and fuel economy.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #17
Zoom-Zoom
gdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud ofgdawg25 has much to be proud of

gdawg25's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, I did not know this. Good info. However, I don't see why in the hell I would need this. I live in the driest damn place on the face of the earth. What's humidity?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:17 AM   #18
gp4camping will become famous soon enough
gp4camping's Tacoma Gallery
countryboy, that is very interesting, what is the year of your truck? I'm wondering if this is the same for an 08 tacoma? Anybody done this on an 08?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
Patron Prince

rlg0613's Tacoma Gallery
I did my '08 Prerunner about a week ago. It's been pretty rainy here and I have had to turn on the A/C only once and for only about 30 seconds. The front and back windows cleared and I went back to Eco-Friendly driving.

No joke - this is a HP boost mod!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp4camping View Post
countryboy, that is very interesting, what is the year of your truck? I'm wondering if this is the same for an 08 tacoma? Anybody done this on an 08?
It whould be the same on all the second generation trucks.