1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 talk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDsport253, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Noobie on the way 4x4 works. That is why i drive a PreRunner haha. I'm in the market for the DC SB TRDsport or the TRDoffroad. So the 4x4 on off road is better right? hence off road and because it has diff lock. And sport just has the 4x4 knob and no diff lock button. I do no off roading at all. I just want 4x4 just in case i need it although i hear prerunner are very capable. I love the way the sport model looks that is why i have the prerunner version. I don't like chrome so that is why i don't like the off road as much but i like the diff lock and the off road capability stuff that it has. Should i just keep the PreRunner?

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:58 AM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    i have no idea what you just said. but keep the prerunner.

3. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    4x4 is the same on both- The suspensions are a bit different and the Offroad has the diff locker. If you don't offroad- I wouldn't pay for the diff locker cause it won't really do you any good.
    I also wouldn't worry about getting 4x4 if you haven't needed it yet....Just my 2 cents.

4. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    That was confusing...

But if you don't offroad, then getting the TRD OR is just overkill. The Sport is very capable for your needs. Though if you don't offroad at all, I'm not sure why you would even need the 4x4 for the just in case. In case of what?

5. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:07 AM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    basically i was just wondering what does diff lock do? Because prerunner trd off road has them and does do anything for off roading? i don't understand because its rear wheel drive so i assume its just for light off roading.

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:09 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    rear diff locks the rear differential so that both back tires are always spinning. If you get stuck you will want at least 3 tires spinning. You won't get that with the limited slip of the sport

7. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:13 AM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    we get pretty bad snow here in washington every other year. So yeah just in case it snow here i guess. I hear you guys tho thanks. Just people saying "why would you get a 2WD truck" i would reply i don't need 4x4. And if i do get stuck than yeah what do i do. Say should of gotten 4x4

8. Jan 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    so does limited slip benifit anything for us prerunner sport owner?

Products Discussed in

To Top