2nd Gen Tips, Mods & More

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #141
20ten is on a distinguished road

20ten's Tacoma Gallery
marked.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #142
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
[Where is the one for turning off the seat belt ringer for 2012 Taco? ]

That is one mod that requires '12 owners to go to the dealer and have done.
For real???
Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #143
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
For real???

Yes it requires the Toyota Techstream software. Also if you get it turned off and them disconnect the battery it will revert back to on again (the default setting ).
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #144
B.S. Goodwrench
KWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedKWMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
KWMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
Yes it requires the Toyota Techstream software. Also if you get it turned off and them disconnect the battery it will revert back to on again (the default setting ).
Dang, that stinks,

I read someplace that a man took his gauges out and opened uo the backside and found the little type tweeter in there and basically removed a wire of sorts and killed it,

May have been an earlier model and not the 2012 though.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #145
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMF View Post
Dang, that stinks,

I read someplace that a man took his gauges out and opened uo the backside and found the little type tweeter in there and basically removed a wire of sorts and killed it,

May have been an earlier model and not the 2012 though.

I haven't looked into the newer models, but You're right the older ones had an integrated speaker soldered on the combination gauge circuit board.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #146
tacoidaho is on a distinguished road
tacoidaho's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #147
tacopoker is on a distinguished road

tacopoker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
Not if you simply remove the bed bolt and use that as an attachment point. That's the easiest way to go and I wouldn't recommend using the drain holes like I've seen others do. Drain holes are in your bed for a reason.
D-Rings that swivel like factory!! See below.
As I was thinking about adding more d-rings to my 2012 Taco to tie shit down with my engineering mind came up with this,
1. Remove the front bed bolts.
2. Measure the bolts O.D.
3. Buy steel pipe that will freely slip over the bolts.
4. Drill out the d-rings slightly bigger than the pipe O.D.
5. Cut pieces of the pipe that are 1/32" thicker than the d-rings.
6. Place a piece of pipe in the d-ring, slip the bolt thru the piece and
install.
7. Enjoy, Done deal.
Since I'm an engineer and a machinist, I made my own pipe pieces on an engine lathe. I just turned the O.D. on a piece of bar stock smaller than the I.D. drilled in the d-ring, drilled and bored the I.D. bigger than the bolts O.D. and cut them of with a cutoff blade.
Tools Needed;
Dial Calipers or Verneers to measure O.D. and I.D.
Breakover handle w/ wrench to fit bolts.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #148
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopoker View Post
D-Rings that swivel like factory!! See below.
As I was thinking about adding more d-rings to my 2012 Taco to tie shit down with my engineering mind came up with this,
1. Remove the front bed bolts.
2. Measure the bolts O.D.
3. Buy steel pipe that will freely slip over the bolts.
4. Drill out the d-rings slightly bigger than the pipe O.D.
5. Cut pieces of the pipe that are 1/32" thicker than the d-rings.
6. Place a piece of pipe in the d-ring, slip the bolt thru the piece and
install.
7. Enjoy, Done deal.
Since I'm an engineer and a machinist, I made my own pipe pieces on an engine lathe. I just turned the O.D. on a piece of bar stock smaller than the I.D. drilled in the d-ring, drilled and bored the I.D. bigger than the bolts O.D. and cut them of with a cutoff blade.
Tools Needed;
Dial Calipers or Verneers to measure O.D. and I.D.
Breakover handle w/ wrench to fit bolts.
I need to do this, as it's annoying not having the front added D-Ring swivel.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #149
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma electronics help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR View Post
Been here on TW a while, but have been lurking and reading up more recently. I am a red seal technician and work for a Toyota dealer. I also own a 2010 TRD sport. It is currently 100% stock, and will be going through some changes soon. If anyone wants DIY threads, videos, or anything of the sorts. Let me know. I also have full access to all of Toyotas factory information. Pm me for any requests, questions, and I look forward to getting to know a lot of you.

- S
Hi 1GR (Scott),

Saw your offer and we could sure use your help in this post

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...-possible.html

Many of us have 2009-2012 4 cylinder trucks and have attempted the standard overhead console swap (for the compass/temp display) with little success. As you probably already know the '05-'08 consoles are not compatible with '09-'12 vehicles. The trucks (except standard cab) come with a full spare harness up in the headliner. However, when plugged in only gets a compass read and the F --- for the temp reading.

As it stands the 4 cylinder trucks share the temperature probe (on front of radiator) with the ac system. The '09-'12 trucks harness runs through the ac amplifier. The consensus is that he newer trucks only use 5 wire harness at the display where as the '05-'08 used a 6 wire connection. The harness had two pins that could be dedicated for the additional sensor. The new trucks just have 1 wire (out of he 5) that is dedicated for the sensor.

The real puzzle behind this is that you can take any 6 cylinder SR5 (or base model v6) and pull the spare harness down from the headliner and it works right out of the box. The understanding being contemplated is that the AC amplifier (part number) is different between the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder.

On the post I was able to obtain a color drawing for the " accessory meter -aka the compass" so have some idea how it's wired. There are a few unknowns...
1. Can we get a copy of the 2011 4 cylinder double or access cab wiring harness that's sitting in the headliner. If we could confirm the plugs on the diagram (to the one we have) it would allow a better picture to see exactly where the differences are between the 4 and 6 cylinder termination points of the harness. We have good reason to believe the wires don't land in the same spots as on the accessory meter diagram which is most likely from a (6cyl) TRD truck like you have.

Do you or one of he best guys in the dealership know if this mod can be done in a 2.7 and if so how? I thought of adding an additional ac amplifier out of a 6 cylinder truck if it can be tied into the ECU (or combination meter).

Do you know the part numbers (also rough cost) for the 6 cylinder ac amplifier and the 4 cylinder ac amplifier?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #150
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Litegide24:

Thanks for the challenge! I will definitely look into this and see it I can find a better solution! Adding a 6cyl AC amplifier is an expensive solution. I will compile all of the info you have requested and have an in depth answer for you tomorrow!
Cheers! -Scott
Old 08-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #151
litegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the roughlitegide24 is a jewel in the rough
litegide24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Litegide24:

Thanks for the challenge! I will definitely look into this and see it I can find a better solution! Adding a 6cyl AC amplifier is an expensive solution. I will compile all of the info you have requested and have an in depth answer for you tomorrow!
Cheers! -Scott
Cool! Thanks Scott!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #152
stuart1996t100 is on a distinguished road
Name: stuart
stuart1996t100's Tacoma Gallery
05+ tacoma factory lower control arm polyurethane bushing upgrade,
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #153
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Litegide24:

Cheers! -Scott
The A/C amp is $100 and can be had for $70 online. This may not be as expensive if it provides the necessary signal from the amplifier. The wiring diagrams make no distinction between different functions between the v6 and 4 cyl on the amplifier besides the temp output. The hope is that they are plug and play between them.

Edit: They are the same for v6 and 4...puzzling. Part number with A/C is 88650-04020

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #154
ROLANDSRU is on a distinguished road
ROLANDSRU's Tacoma Gallery
I replace the stock radio on my S-runner 2003 and install a pioneer cd,radio,dvd navigation system. But i can't locate the vss wire.
can you help me out
Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #155
D44boy is on a distinguished road
D44boy's Tacoma Gallery
can we add show your BASE MODEL to the original list of photo threads?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #156
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
How does one get their how to thread linked in this sticky? In my sig is a thread that is a how to on making a rear view mirror bracket that can be made for a few bucks and can be used with all sorts of devices. I've had a lot of people tell me how helpful this is so maybe it should be linked in this sticky?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #157
heydude348 is on a distinguished road
heydude348's Tacoma Gallery
Alternator belt replacement videos?Anyone?

I have a 2003 Tacoma. Anyone have a good tutorial(video maybe) on how to replace the altrnator belt.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #158
All Glory To The Hypnotoad
ziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shedziggynagy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ziggynagy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
How does one get their how to thread linked in this sticky? In my sig is a thread that is a how to on making a rear view mirror bracket that can be made for a few bucks and can be used with all sorts of devices. I've had a lot of people tell me how helpful this is so maybe it should be linked in this sticky?
Did you try PMing a mod?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #160
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydude348 View Post
I have a 2003 Tacoma. Anyone have a good tutorial(video maybe) on how to replace the altrnator belt.
I sent you a PM with a link for repairs.

Edit: I just noticed you were on 03, the link may not help much unless you did an 05+ underhood conversion.

Products Discussed in this Thread