1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Spring TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saf023, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    saf023

saf023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I bought my 2007 Sport double cab last summer with 12K miles. I talked to the local Toyota dealer about wanting to go forward with the rear leaf spring TSB. This is the second time I've been to Fitzgerald and they have been great. They're ordering the AALs, four new shocks, and bumpers. The job will include a full wheel alignment when they're done.

I asked them if I have the TRD Sport now, are the new shocks necessary. They said they are an upgrade and are included. Anyone know what is the difference between the factory installed TRD Sport shocks and the TSB replacement shocks? Thanks in advance.

2. Jan 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    There isn't. The only possible diffrence is the tune (off road vs sport). Same blistens.

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 4:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Shocks on the OR vs Sport are not different....The springs are different.
    You dealer apparently can't read...but it's getting you 4 new shocks...so I wouldn't worry about it too much

4. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    saf023

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:

Talked to the dealer today to make sure they have the parts and to set the install appointment for Monday. They must have learned to read.

They told me they made a mistake. New shocks are NOT included. Imagine that.

When they were going to replace the shocks, they said a wheel alignment was included. Now they are saying they do the AAL and test drive it. No alignment. Could not checking the alignment be a problem if they don't touch the front suspension?

5. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    what is this TSB I keep hearing about....is it a free upgrade? I have an '07 4x4 trd ... would mine have it? Should I get one/it/whatever it is?

6. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    saf023

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    On another post I was reading about how there is no such thing as a good and cheap lift.

I'm not so sure what I'm doing is a lift but I'm thinking the AALs will lift the back slightly. The next step was going to be a set of Bilstein 5100s to lift (and level) the front (adjustable shock set at 1.75"). I'm thinking this is both good and cheap.

When all is said and done, I still want a daily driver with a firm but decent ride and no headaches. I'm thinking the approach has been used by many before me and is both good and cheap. Am I in for a surprise?

7. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    saf023

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:

The TSB I'm talking about is an Add-A-Leaf (AAL). The rear springs are currently a 3 piece leaf spring. The TSB AAL makes them a 4 piece leaf spring. Allows more weight to be carried.

I'm told there is not much of a hit to ride comfort. I'll let you know.

8. Jan 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    You got 2 different things going here.............The "Harsh Ride"TSB consists of 2 New leaf packs for the rear with 4 leafs each.To REPLACE your 3 leaf setup that you have now.AAL is a stick of metal that you install to the current spring pack and come with mounting hardware to strap to the existing springs.So I think you are confused as to what they are doing to your truck.Futher more if you read the "TSB" it states the alignment MUST be done.

9. Jan 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM
    saf023

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:

I think you're right, I am confused as to exactly what they are going to do to my truck. I'm thinking they are doing the AAL, strapping a "stick of metal" to the current leaf pack. I was thinking that adding this stick of metal now makes a three piece spring leaf a four piece spring leaf or a 4 leaf spring pack.

- So you're saying there is a "harsh ride TSB" where they remove the 3 leaf setup and replace it with a 4 leaf spring pack setup?

- And there is an AAL TSB which straps a piece of metal to the current 3 leaf setup and looks different that the 4 leaf spring pack discribed above? How does it look different?

Do both procedures raise the back of the truck slightly? Do both decrease the likelihood of the truck bottoming out under moderate loads (500 to 800 lbs)? Do both moderately stiffen the ride?

Thanks.

10. Jan 28, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    There is only one tsb."harsh ride"with complete new spring packs.It stiffens the ride and the truck will not sag with a load.it does raise it a bit.make sure they read the whole tsb where it states the alignment must be done,I had to take mine back after cuz they only bothered to order the parts and not read it all.

Now the term AAL is an aftermarket fix,and has nothing to do with the tsb,those that are out of the 36k go this route on their own.

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Like said above, just one TSB. Here is a link to the revised TSBs. Models up to 2010 are now included;
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...-tsb-included-now-09-10-a-18.html#post1334144

If you have a 2005-2008 non-Sport or non-Offroad package truck you are supposed to get new shocks/bumpstops with the TSB. If you have a 2005-2008 TRD Sport or Offroad package truck, or any 2009-2010, you do not get new shocks/bumpstops.

All models, all years, should get a four wheel alignment after having TSB work done.

I've gone through this twice now, both times with no hassle or problems. I took my '09 in and they saw the marks on the frame from where the bumpstops hit and they took care of the TSB quickly. When I got the '10 I called up the service advisor and explained that the part numbers matched up with the springs in the TSB and although I hadn't experienced the harsh ride yet, that I would prefer to get it taken care of in the winter when my business is slow. He called me the next day and said the parts were in and I got it taken care of that following week.

Products Discussed in

To Top