Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there such a thing as "cool" running boards?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
SunnyG is on a distinguished road
SunnyG's Tacoma Gallery
Is there such a thing as "cool" running boards?

I was in the market for step bars, but the more I research them the more I don't like them. They either stick out too far or not enough, are too big or too small, maybe I'm just too picky. I'm going for a clean look to the truck. Its a silver DC sport. Future mods will be minor (smoked headlights, grillcraft grille, black bull bar) No lift planned.

I also want them to keep gravel from flying up and chipping the paint, so i got to thinking that running boards may be a better option. However, running boards always remind me of minivans (not cool).

So long story short, I'm wondering if anyone has running boards to their truck and if you could post pictures, brand, and comments that would be awesome.

I've seen pictures of them on their own just not mounted on a tacoma.

Anyone have any ideas???????
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
This is what's on my Tacoma. It's practical and looks good (IMO).
http://shop.altezzawarehouse.com/buy...my=1&make_code

What do you think?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyG View Post
I also want them to keep gravel from flying up and chipping the paint, so i got to thinking that running boards may be a better option. However, running boards always remind me of minivans (not cool).
I feel the same way.... but only because I've *been there done that* with other rigs and nerf bars & step rails just got old and I want something different.

I prefer rock sliders myself....but I haven't found any that I like yet. The N-Fab steps are really cool but a bit pricey. I just haven't convinced myself that I wanna spend that much on a set of steps.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Someone had some that were really pointed at the end. It looked like something from Deathrace 2000. I think they were a custom job though.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
jeffsorensen1 is on a distinguished road
jeffsorensen1's Tacoma Gallery
dude i just got some sweet step bars from this place online and they don't stick out far or in too far, and they look awesome, everyone that has seen them has commented on how cool they look and how they haven't seen bars like that before. They were bought and shipped to my house all said and done $322 dollars... not too bad. Th

The only downside is i had to make some little 1/4 inch aluminum blocks to put behind the brackets so they would fit exactly how i liked. so if your willing to try that i really think you'd like them.

I will go take a picture of them when i get a chance today and post it on here so you can see them, also i'll take a picture of the little blocks i made for the brackets, and i'll post the website too. give me by tomorrow and i'll have it on here.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
jay7108 is on a distinguished road

jay7108's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, I just bought some 2" Nfabs and they where 315 shipped to my house. I bought them from performance products. The guy I spoke with his name was Ian, if you go online check out the price and then you can call them up and order them and maybe work out a better deal over the phone.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
i think running boards look like they belong on a mini van also..... mine came with running boards and i put on nerf bars.....

found some really wide beefy ones on ebay once but they were 300-400 bucks and i didn't want to spend that.... they were very oval where mine are more round.... damn they looked tho, just kinda pricey.....
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7108 View Post
Janster, I just bought some 2" Nfabs and they where 315 shipped to my house. I bought them from performance products. The guy I spoke with his name was Ian, if you go online check out the price and then you can call them up and order them and maybe work out a better deal over the phone.
Not bad! Thanks - i'll have to look that up!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Mellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud ofMellow has much to be proud of

Mellow's Tacoma Gallery
I've also been going back and forth on steps/running boards/nerf bars...

Decided to call Performance Products as mentioned above and got a set of black N-Fabs for my 2008 Access Cab - - are you ready? wait for it.....wait for it... $240 to my door... ba-da-bing!

Doh!.. they just called... they don't carry the one I wanted the one priced was didn't have the step that comes out I guess - order canceled.. boo hoo..

Update - I decided to get a grillcraft MX series grill in place of the N-fabs I wanted - $170 to the door, still not bad.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Go for some rock sliders. Tight fit and they serve a purpose aside from being a step.

Mine aren't painted yet so forgive the bare metal.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Crap mjp! That things lookin' like something out of Mad Max! (that's a compliment by the way!) I don't even want to know what all that is costing you....it's gonna look awsome when its done though.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #13
Stealer of Souls
Charli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shedCharli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chuck?
Charli's Tacoma Gallery
First thing I did was check out his gallery --that it one cool rig!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH72 View Post
I just had the 3" N-Fab step bars installed and I love them! I have a 05 silver Tacoma Crew Cab. Check out my pics to see them.
Your Tacoma looks sweet. I like the step bars.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnH72 View Post
Thanks! Your's looks great too! BTW, is that your 78 Trans Am? If so, I am extemely jealous!!!
Damn, I wish that was my T/A. I put in my pictures cause it's bad ass!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to agree with mjp2 100% on this one. Sliders are the only way to go in my opinion. They serve purpose rather than being a step for mall crawlers. And they make the truck look sexy lol.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Many thanks, everyone!

My sliders were made by Shrockworks. The guys over there are very helpful and, in my case, shipped the sliders unpainted and without the mounts attached so they could be made to fit with the other mods I already had in place.

Obviously they're also available fully assembled and ready to bolt-on. They also offer a powder-coated option.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm selling a set of powdercoated sliders if anyone is interested...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #20
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Guns View Post
I'm selling a set of powdercoated sliders if anyone is interested...
who made em, what color and how much do ya want for them? oh, and can you ship too?