Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Warranty Question

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Warranty Question

Hey whats going on TW. First off I have a 2008 prerunner with a open diff and a automatic. The other day I was at a red light and when it turned green I steped on the gas and the trans slipped, and then for some reason when I am going down a hill and press the gas the engine just reves like its in neutral then it "catches" the gear and drives fine. Also sometimes it makes a werid noise like when something got in a fan, but more mechanical (the dealer described it has a "flutter") between 30-40 mph during normal accelration. So yesterday I took it to the dealer they checked the truck w/the computer and even rode w/me so they could hear the "flutter" but they said they it was normal. All they said they could do was reset the computer. I tried to show them how the truck reved while going down a hill but I couldn't find anything steep enough close to the dealership, and on top of that I forgot to tell them about the trans slipping. I am going back tomrrow to tell them about the sliping. My question is will they charge me if I ask them to drop the transmission oil pan to check for any damage? It's still under warranty. Your help would be great.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Racer78 is on a distinguished road

Racer78's Tacoma Gallery
I had my transfer case oil dropped because I was havng a drive line slap. I did end up paying for the oil at first but, due to the shaving in the fluid, the whole case was replaced. Worth the $35.00 I think
Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
probably will charge you,unless they find something when they drop it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Racer78 is on a distinguished road

Racer78's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
probably will charge you,unless they find something when they drop it.
That's pretty much it. The service manager said upfront that going into the inspection process that until they can identify the route cause or "failure" of a possible warranty issue, you are paying for the time and parts. When the problem is found, it's all covered. That said, as long as there has been no abuse or incorrect fluids kinda stuff..

I've heard so many times that "that's normal" from one dealer only to have another one set me up in a rental and replace major parts to fix the issue?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks a lot guys for your input, I am going to the dealer first thing in the morning. BTW if they do charge me, about how much do you think it will set me back?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
mine will 'slip' if I drop it in N at the light, then shift to drive and immediately punch it. Then it kicks in and all is good... otherwise it never has an issue. You're not doing something similar by chance are you?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
You can always call the Toyota number in the manual and find out if things are warranty covered rather than relying on the honesty of a dealer.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
mine will 'slip' if I drop it in N at the light, then shift to drive and immediately punch it. Then it kicks in and all is good... otherwise it never has an issue. You're not doing something similar by chance are you?
No sir, I drive my truck like a grandma I don't spend the tires (peel out), don't punch it at green lights, I don't even tow anything. Hopefully every thing works out at the dealer. I also want to take it in for the exsaust system TSB. Does any one know where I can download it?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #10

So I went back the to the dealer and they hook the truck up to a couputer they also drove the truck to see if the trans shifted correctly and they didn't find anything so they told me they did not see a reason to drop the trans oil pan. They also told me I have a 60,000mi manfacuer warranty and after that I still have a extended warranty. So if anything was to happen it would be covered. They even washed my truck and aired up my spare to the correct psi. to get rid of that light. Thanks for the help guys.