1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

E locker vs air locker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grey Jay, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Grey Jay

Grey Jay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sudbury ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD
    Anyone have any opinions? I am looking to install a locking diff on a daily driver. I used to have a Frontier with a limited slip / electric locker. Not sure if it was an eaton but I loved it. ANyone know who makes that?

I like the Eaton E-locker since there is no compressor but just wondering what people thought. Is the RAB air locker worth the extra $$?

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    This is a very commonly asked question and has been beat to death on every off-road forum I've ever been a member of.

You can't beat ARB's quality and reliability.
    If you have the money and you want one that is going to last you then go with the ARB.

If you don't have the money to spend I would look into an E-Locker.
    I don't have much experience with the newer models and lockers but I would go with a Toyota E-Locker.

Do some searching on here and other forums as well as Google and see what you come up with.
    It's all about opinion.

Fink

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Eaton makes one but they don't make it for the Tacoma.

4. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    The ARB is probably a little better, more reliable unit. The negatives are that beside the cost of the locker you must also factor in the cost of the air compressor and the cost of having it installed.

The Toyota e-locker occasionally has issues with the electric motor going bad, especially if it sees a lot of water. The upside is that it is cheaper overall then the ARB. You can pick up a complete third with your gear ratio for about the same cost of just the bare ARB unit. It can be swapped in by yourself in about an hour in the driveway (a couple hours if you aren't that mechanically inclined), saving the cost of professional install. The wiring isn't that difficult either.

For a DD I would go with the e-locker only because it will save you about $300 over the ARB in the end.

5. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    And either one would be a good choice...TRD being slightly cheaper when it's all said and done.

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top