Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

E locker vs air locker

Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
Grey Jay is on a distinguished road
Grey Jay's Tacoma Gallery
E locker vs air locker

Anyone have any opinions? I am looking to install a locking diff on a daily driver. I used to have a Frontier with a limited slip / electric locker. Not sure if it was an eaton but I loved it. ANyone know who makes that?

I like the Eaton E-locker since there is no compressor but just wondering what people thought. Is the RAB air locker worth the extra $$?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jay View Post
Anyone have any opinions? I am looking to install a locking diff on a daily driver. I used to have a Frontier with a limited slip / electric locker. Not sure if it was an eaton but I loved it. ANyone know who makes that?

I like the Eaton E-locker since there is no compressor but just wondering what people thought. Is the RAB air locker worth the extra $$?
This is a very commonly asked question and has been beat to death on every off-road forum I've ever been a member of.

You can't beat ARB's quality and reliability.
If you have the money and you want one that is going to last you then go with the ARB.

If you don't have the money to spend I would look into an E-Locker.
I don't have much experience with the newer models and lockers but I would go with a Toyota E-Locker.

Do some searching on here and other forums as well as Google and see what you come up with.
It's all about opinion.

Fink
Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Jay View Post
I used to have a Frontier with a limited slip / electric locker. Not sure if it was an eaton but I loved it. ANyone know who makes that?
Eaton makes one but they don't make it for the Tacoma.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
S-M-R-T will become famous soon enoughS-M-R-T will become famous soon enough
S-M-R-T's Tacoma Gallery
The ARB is probably a little better, more reliable unit. The negatives are that beside the cost of the locker you must also factor in the cost of the air compressor and the cost of having it installed.

The Toyota e-locker occasionally has issues with the electric motor going bad, especially if it sees a lot of water. The upside is that it is cheaper overall then the ARB. You can pick up a complete third with your gear ratio for about the same cost of just the bare ARB unit. It can be swapped in by yourself in about an hour in the driveway (a couple hours if you aren't that mechanically inclined), saving the cost of professional install. The wiring isn't that difficult either.

For a DD I would go with the e-locker only because it will save you about $300 over the ARB in the end.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
The TRD e-locker and the ARB are the only selectable lockers for the tacoma rear.
And either one would be a good choice...TRD being slightly cheaper when it's all said and done.

Fink