1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

21 Point Inspection vs. 30k Service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by micjmmy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    micjmmy

micjmmy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD
    Just curious if anyone knows what's inspected on the 21 point?

Just got a coupon for the 30k service which shows what is included.... Looks like a lot of "inspecting" with an oil change and tire rotation... All of the items listed look like they're listing them just to take up room on the flyer- They use the word "inspect" about a dozen times!!

Thoughts?

2. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    what did it say?

3. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    micjmmy

micjmmy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD
    30k includes:
    oil/filter change, replace drain plug gasket, rotate tires, INSPECT/top off all fluids under hood, reset maintenance light, replace air filter, visually INSPECT brakes, clean and service battery, adjust throttle positioner (if applicable), INSPECT hoses, fuel lines, coolant condition, ignition and plug wires, suspension bushings, motor mounts, shocks, cabin filter ($59 additional).

They list a few other things, but they are just repeats of things already listed
    (ie: check need for trans fluid, steering fluid, brake fluid...)wouldn't this be considered top off all fluids?

I would think that all of the things that are getting "inspected" during the 30k are pretty basic, and would be covered by the 21pt inspection done during a regular oil change... Just wondering what isn't covered in the 21 pt during a oil change, that is worth paying the "new reduced $149" price tag on the 30k???

4. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I can do that inspection in about 10 minutes with a flashlight and a leatherman. Cabin air filter can be made from household filters (do a search). I believe those 'xx point inspections' are stupid and like you said, take up space on the paper to 'justify' higher costs.

5. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    micjmmy

micjmmy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD
    This isn't for my Tacoma, but rather for my 07 Camry- I just replaced the cabin air filter for $12 and about 2 min to pull the glove box out... The other stuff is beyond basic and I couldn't believe that Toyota is charging $150... as a SALE price?? Going to go with a reg oil change and just check everything else myself... I don't need to pay someone $150 to tell me if a hose is old and brittle or if my coolant is low... This should all be standard when you get an oil change at any shop I would think... They've already got the car on the lift!

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    to check most of those fluid levels you dont need a lift just a hood release button

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    Those sales you get in the mail are marketing ploys for you to waist your money. checking things over and doing an oil change and filter. YOU can check that stuff for free and top off fluids for pennies on the dollar. 150 bucks for that is stupid to pay. You could do a oil change and filter change and all fluids yourself for less than 40 bucks

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    saltshaker

saltshaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnny
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road MGM AC
    AFE CAI, Fold-a-cover
    you used to could get half that stuff inspected for free when you bought gas.

9. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    micjmmy

micjmmy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD
    YES, I know how to check all of my fluids, hoses, change oil, etc, I was just curious if anyone who works at the stealership would know what is included in the famous 21 point inspection...
    I was just dumbfounded at the cost of the 30k, and wanted to know what Toyota is "giving " you with the 21 point inspection, and why anyone would pay $150 for this 30k inspection?

Products Discussed in

To Top