1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gearing??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by red neck toy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I would put 4.88 with 35s, especially if you have other goodies adding a lot of weight (armor, sliders, shell, gear, winch, etc). And if you live in the mountains, you'll likely prefer 4.88 in the uphills.

You do need to do front and back, unless you never engage 4x4 again:)

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    send them a quick email, it always depends on your truck, year, model, tranny, etc.

carl@justdifferentials.com

3. Jan 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Or run a swamp buggy! ;)

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    mylittletacoma

mylittletacoma taco? like the kind you eat?

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    lol, okay, all good input, but this is what i am wondering, I talked to jeff at JT's..... justdifferentials.com......and he is quoting me front and rear in 4.56's at about 900 bucks... tbhis is my question. I do quite a bit of highway, and when i do 4x4 it is mainly just screwing around in some sand or mudd puddles,,,, just enough to get dirty lol. i am mainly wanting to get my spped and gas milage back from going to 35's. going up hills on the highway i feel like a total ass, my turbo will help granted but i want to feel like i am not killing my clutch turning these nasties......
    so would 4.56's give me back my pepe? or would it just be better to stay with whats in there now?

oh and for everyone that says you will burn bearings running 35's.... here is an idea---- yes if your stuck you may burn your gears or beariungs, but that would only happen i believe after your clutch goes from having too much slippage,,,, if your clutch cant turn the tranny, then your clutch burns, right????

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    In my opinion, I think you would be crazy running 3.73's (I assume your a 2nd gen). You will get some pep back.

Regarding gas mileage (I am awful wrt gas mileage - If I can't press a button to find out what it is, I don't measure it - It's a truck and some of my older trucks got 8-12 mpg so anything I get I am sure it's better).

Gas milage is affected by rolling and air resistance. To be optimized you would be driving half an egg (fat part forward) on small skinny (less air resistance and less rolling ressistnce) high psi tires and low to the ground.

The things we do to our trucks are typically bad for gas mileage. Higher, heavier and wider tires, etc.

IMO 4.56 would help you enjoy your ride in a balanced way.

Good luck!

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    thanks man,, hey red neck,,,, sorry i kinda stole your thread man,

i know pretty much any lift or big tire will kill gas, but i just want to know have to be in freaking 3rd gear going up a 40degree incline trying to stay at even 60mph, i know it sounds dumb cause i want the best of both world,,, good drivability in the city yet easy on the motor/tranny on the highway while lifted and running 35's, but my mommy always said if you can dream it, you can do it. she forgot to mention not to dream about 2 dozen virgin blonde 21 yr olds i guess cause that still hasnt happened...... santa doesnt exist does he?

7. Feb 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC

yeah Bro, hows it. see thats why i was thinking either just leaving them stock, or trying to find someone who has 4.56's with big tires and does highway. I mean I do drive city a bit too, and I do get my truck muddy as hell, like right now i now Abq got slammed with snow but bro, i am out here in Portales and this place is a freakin lake!!!!! but it makes for great mudd skipping. my stock gears dont feel too bad, i gues 3.73's, I have a 2000. but it just sucks going up hills on the highway. but i guess thats just gonna have to be the trade off for having 35" Mud's right?

hey when will there be a meet? i am contemplating ordering my Tuff Country 5" soon and want to install it and try it out.

by the way does anyone know if the Tuff Country is compatible with Fabtech coilovers? I know the guys at Parks offroad did a tuff country with King coilovers.

8. Feb 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    i have 33 12.5 r 17 on my truck with 4.10 and a 4cyl and i get 15 mpg which sucks....i know u have the HP with the v6 but 4.56 is a great choice. you wont be overgears and most likely have the best fuel economy for the road.

as far as offroad, you will be better cuz u wont need to be gas pedal happy when your are geared to the right ratio.

good luck

9. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    mylittletacoma

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC

thanks, yeah i know it will help offroad, but i dont want it to be worse on gas milage than it is now. plus i gotta say i dont know if the cost is really worth it. looking at almost $900 before instal

Products Discussed in

To Top