1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hard water spots on windows

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blue Tango, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mar 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    Blue Tango

Blue Tango [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    Westin Bull Bar
    Well Saturday makes 3 weeks I've had my truck. It's a little weird driving an automatic after so long and it's a lot bigger than my BMW and it's missing a few of the features my car had. But I'm still happier now than I was with the car. The one thing I cannot stand are the water spots on my windows. The outside is covered with them except for the front windshield. But the sides, rear, and outside mirrors are terrible. When I bought the car the dealer took forever detailing it and mentioned the windows were taking longer to clean. As I drove off I noticed they were dirty and I was too excited to be rid of my car and into something more reliable to care. Well after trying a good ol bath, clay bar, and turtle wax polishing compound I can't seem to get the crap off or even make a dent in the damage. What should I do? I've had many cars and some didn't get much care but none of them had anything like this. I'm really hoping to avoid new windows but if that's what it takes then I'd do it cause it's that bad. But first I plan to exhaust every option and try to keep costs low.

2. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sorry to hear about the waterspot problem......but if a little vinegar on some newspaper doesnt work, try some mothers/meguiars chrome polish........it worked really well when i had some pretty bad spots on my rear glass and side glasses.

if the chrome polish does work......definitely use rain-x and a good wax on the windows also.....it will keep them in great shape. you can also do this for your headlights. works wonders.

3. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Beat me to the punch ... that is what I would try.

4. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    it actually works pretty well.

5. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Hey Tango, i came from a 1990 325i 5 speed to my taco in an auto. the tacoma auto was too smooth to pass up. what did you drive before?

i noticed something similar on my windows. on the back window i dont have water spots but it is cloudy. no amount of washing or windex will get rid of it. any suggestions for cloudy windoes?

sorry to hijack your thread but it happens on this site alot, something you gotta get use to :)

6. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    Gonna go try this right now cause I'm the impatient type. Thanks for all the replies, I'll no doubt try them all until I find a fix. I plan to wax next weekend since I'm being sent to Germany for a couple months and would like to have this done before that.

7. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I use Sprayaway glass cleaner. Works very well. This is the foaming cleaner. I bought it at a glass shop.

If that doensn't work then I use the same with a newspaper.

8. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    hey couch.....get some stuff called stoner invisible glass and use it with wadded up newspaper.......works 100times better than windex, wont streak, and the glass will be crystal clear when you are done!!

9. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    mj08taco

mj08taco Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport, Silver Streak Mica
    Westin Chrome Plated Signature Bars, ERG Bug Deflector, ERG Vent Shades, Fog Light Mod, Piezo Siren Door Lock Chirp
    Sam Memmolo and Dave Bowman, Co-hosts of the Crank & Chrome television show on TNN, "...are serious dude when it comes to wanting a clean windshield. First, they clean off all the grime and road film using a cleaner called Bar Keepers Friend, a non-scratching polishing compound. Using plenty of water, wipe it on the windshield in a circular motion with a pad or sponge - then wipe it off. This lifts off a ton of grit. Then they mix some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with vinegar then rub it on the windshield with a folded paper towel. This will clean off any fingerprints or water spots. It also does a great job of cleaning the inside of the windshield too without leaving any streaks. Lastly, Sam and Dave then "treat" the cleaned windshield with Rain-X. In states prone to pouring rain outbursts, Rain-X makes the water virtually blow off the windshield - offering a very clear view.

I remember seeing this on a different show, but they said a lot or professional window experts use the Barkeepers Friend, I have been using it for years now. When I wash my truck I do the wheels first (I use wheel stuff) then hose the entire truck, do the winshield with Bar Keepers Friend, and then wash the whole thing with with car soap. Bar Keepers does a great job getting the grime and bug guts off the windshield and headlights. I buy it from the local food store.

10. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    I came from a 2001 325i 5 speed. I bought it in Germany to replace my 1992 316i. Both those cars were a blast on the German Autobahn, but on the Mississippi Gulf Coast my car was out of place and didn't care for the terrible roads. The Tacoma was a last minute thing (tried to buy a GTO and the day ended with me in a Taco) and I know it will be very fun. No worries on threadjacking, this isn't my first time on a forum and it was worse with the BMW, that site had a lot more people.

Anyways I spent about 30 seconds with the vinegar and a newspaper with no luck, had to bring in a pizza now it's back to try for real.

11. Mar 28, 2008 at 10:06 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    If all the above fails. Try some OOOO steel wool, dry and rub very lightly. Works with getting our area water off so it ought to work anywhere.

12. Mar 28, 2008 at 11:56 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
  13. Mar 29, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    Motorkopf

Motorkopf Conservative

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 2.7 Manual
    3" Toytec lift, Susp TSB, Detroit True Trac, Carr side steps.
    Had the same type of water spots all over my Taurus- both the windows and the paint. Apparently it was crystalized "hard water" on the surface. I tried everything and couldn't get it off- until I had my neighbor who details cars for a living detail my car. He got it off with something he called an "acid bath." After he was done, the car looked like new. You might talk to some professional detailers.

14. Mar 29, 2008 at 5:59 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    White vinegar and new razor blades, lightly razor the completely saturated window. If that fails, 50/50 solution of muractic acid and water, spray on a terry cloth rag and rub and rinse, keeping the hose close by, don't let the solution rest on any painted surface.

15. Mar 30, 2008 at 6:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    AMEN to that!! Invisible glass is awesome!
    The spray can is the best but I've also used the spray plastic bottle and works just as good.

What works best for me - is using microfiber clothes. One for cleaning and one for drying. Won't leave any lint (and we have the microfibres laying around anyway).

16. Mar 30, 2008 at 7:28 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    i use the stuff also its great and safe for tinted windows

17. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    Blue Tango

Member:
    Hampton VA
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull Bar
    Well I'll try going to some local glass shops to see what they can do. I'm gonna be going to Germany soon and would like to get this done before I leave. I can't wait to get some of this stuff when I get back, I love cleaning my truck and it sounds like there's a lot more stuff that I "need.":D

18. Mar 30, 2008 at 7:21 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I had hard water spots and the morning dew fixed me up.

The alternative that I use is the mr clean no dry gun. It makes your water soft for the spot free rinse and I bet that would get rid of your water spots.

19. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    :D Yeah, I've been using this also for a few years. And it works great!!

If you have hard water / lots of lime in the water...you'll be blowing through filters like crazy. I tried shopping online for them and found the cheapest place to get them is Walmart. Either that, or there's something wrong with my water softener (or needs recharged).

20. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I bought one of those Mr. Clean systems and used it last weekend. Worked well. The filter that comes with it claims it is only good for 3 uses. I bought some extra filters yesterday and I noticed that those claim they're good for 10 uses.

Products Discussed in

To Top