1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beadlock - Who Has 'em and Whacha Got

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HBMurphy, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i was misunderstanding the previous question...i thought he was talking about a backing plate

but youre correct...the inside bead rarely NEEDS it

2. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    centerline and stauns are DOT approved

3. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    thats why i like the ones that have the rock rings that keep the bolt heads from shearing and the rims from getting trashed

4. Jan 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy [OP] Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Those are sweet!!! - at $2k I might have a hard time justifying them :)

5. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Funny you say that... When I saw them my first thought was, "Well the centers would look sweet even after the outer edge was thrashed!

6. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Just doing some research on some other sites:

The inner 'tube' has a casing made of Kevlar, and you keep that inner tube at 50 PSI, and that locks BOTH of the tires beads to the rim. Staun advertises these as also being capable as a run-flat! A side benefit is that since the Staun tube is always inflated, that amount of 'space' inside the tire is taken up, so airing down and back up involves a lot less air volume (which is $$$ saved if you use CO2), and is quicker!

7. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:30 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    what about Robby gordon beadlocks. Kmc enduro beadlocks. Omf have good stuff too and they can also make your wheels into beadlocks. they are all in the $300 range. I love both of those wheels but can't justify buying 6 wheels at $300 a piece.

8. Jan 27, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    ... yet! ;)

Thanks.

9. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    ahahaha its always "Yet" with us isnt it:)

10. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nope, sorry, wrong. A beadlocked wheel is no more dangerous then a normal wheel. It is indeed the cost of getting the DOT stamp. That most of the reason that most beadlocks are in the $300-350 range and Hutchinsons are almost $500 each. The other reason is that beadlocks can be difficult to balance then regular rims.

Ok so you are wheeling along the trail when your tire hits a deep spot in the muddy rut that you are in. The tire hits a burried root and 'poof!' off goes the bead. (Yes it really is that easy). You and a few friends then spend a half hour digging that corner out of 3 feet of clay. After the tire is out you carry the tire and rim a few hundred meters to and from the nearest water to was the mud out so that it can be reseated. This is the part when you hope that your OBA can actually suppy enough volume to reseat a 38" in Bogger. Been there, seen that. Did I mention that 38s aren't exactly light. It only takes once to think that beadlocks aren't as expensive as they sound.

I would go for the Stauns myself, especially on a daily driven vehicle.

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    tacoeater

tacoeater Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Why do you guys worry about them being DOT approved or not. Do the inspectors around you guys really check that shit out? Where I live they slap a sticker on your vehicle and say have a nice day

12. Jan 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    The inspectors may miss it, depends on how competent they are, but sometimes a non DOT mod like that can void your insurance if you get in an accident. The adjuster won't miss it. Also there is nothing stopping cops who don't know what they are looking at from sending you in for VIs repeatedly just cause.

13. Jan 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    ^^^yup x2 and i don't like paying 300+ for a wheel.

14. Jan 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Not that it matters, but I hear people on the DOT concern and insurance issues but how do you think the DOT wheel would rack up in a court case verses some of our other efforts like removing sway bars, etc.

I think we all realize that some of what we do compromises the safety issues. For me it drives home the 'on road' driving habits - this truck has turned me in to an old lady!

Tonight I am going out to dinner with a client of mine that is a NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Admin) accident investigator... If I remember, I'll ask him his opinion... should be interesting.

15. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Ummm yes a beadlock IS more dangerous. youd be crazy to think it wasnt when it is still attached to your vehicle doing 65 and slapping all over the place as well as throwing debris at others...think about how much that is gonna cost the insurance company because if it was me i would definitely be getting your insurance info if i was a vehicle near you and somehow got damaged. paint jobs arent cheap ya know:)
    normal tires will fall off if it is a major blow out. obviously this is worse case scenarios stuff. I get it.

Hmmmm 38s? sound like someone who only goes wheeling every once in a while(sarcasm intended) and if you are an occasional wheeler and have 38's then you got money to spend or something!

If you had paid attention i was saying that it isnt worth spending that much money if you are just an occasional wheeler. if you are out a lot like 50% of the time then beadlocks are a definite must. if you only wheel everyonce in a while and dont have beadlocks you really shouldnt be airing down that much, if you do then you are taking the risk. Your average joe out wheeling on the weekend when he gets the chance using his daily driver doesnt need to be getting beadlocks. but hey, if he gots the money and is willing to blow it then hey, have at er'!

It all comes down to the person and how much money they have and are willing to spend. "Money" being the main part not the "person" and their preferences. you can want to have them all you want but if money is tight you aint gettin em':)

Oh and one more thing ....JMHO:)

16. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    [​IMG]

These things are nice! This whole ride was sweet - he joined us on Hammers and blew a crawler box but never blew a bead! ;)

17. Jan 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    it looks like his highlift went across his quarter panel. You guys related.:laugh:

18. Jan 28, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    gjbonner

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    nice pic!

19. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    HBMurphy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Probly ;) :D Think of it, I could have saved $400 and not fixed it! - I am so glad I got past the overrating bodywork! :D

Just got back from dinner with my accident investigator friend. After talking with him, I am glad I drive like an old lady. :eek:

20. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    what sway bars=no bueno

Products Discussed in

To Top