Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tips on installing flip down DVD player

Old 01-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
BreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
BreezyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Tips on installing flip down DVD player

I am purchasing an Alpine flip down DVD player, and wanted somebody's opinion on installation. I called a local place and they quoted me $150, which isnt a bad price, but I could use that money and purchase a skid plate, so difficult level would be nice. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
Mine wasnt a flip down but I had a indash dvd player the one that doesnt flip out. I dont know anything about installing decks but it was pretty easy for me to install it. My friend who doesnt know much about decks has a flip down and he said it was easy putting it in. I'd give it a 2 out of 5 5 being the most difficult
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
BreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBreezyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
I'm sorry I mean the backseat flipdown from the dome light. I have a pioneer DVD deck, but want something for my kids to watch on the road.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing that here in FEB. I talked to MR. Marv and he said that he doesnt know of a write up but to check youtube or something like that. If you get it done before me then do a write up please with pics. If not when I get home In Feb i will do a write up
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Navy:
Sounds good, I should have mine by at least the 11th of next month.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Mondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shedMondwa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Mondwa's Tacoma Gallery
I found a link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...d-install.html. But I am still going to do a write up with pics if you dont get them done before me. I will get home the 15th and do them the next wkend
Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Navy:
Sounds good, I purchased mine off ebay for about 450, just dont know if I am inclined in tearing into the header. Might call bestbuy and get a quote from them, at least if they mess it up they will most likely replace everything.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Navy:
Just got mine installed from a local place in San Diego, (Car Audio Heaven) and they told me that the dome lights wont turn on when the doors are open because of a kilovoltage problem?! This sounds like bull crap to me, anyone ever heard of this?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me installing something like this I'd do it like this...

Wood glue two identical boards together (basically double stack) and use silicone to secure them to the roof with the headliner off. Yes, silicone can be used as a glue to fasten stuff to things like sheet metal and glass. If you think it wont hold grab a calculator and start doing surface area math.

So now you've got a sweet mounting surface inside your roof that fits under the headliner. Then you can bolt stuff up through the headliner and not drill through the roof metal at all.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Navy:
That sounds great, but what about the dome light question? This is eating me up thinking that these guys jipped me a nice install. I mean everything works great, and the DVD is amazing from what I can tell now, but the dome lights not turning on may be a little thing but it is killing me, maybe I should just let it go and oh well about it, but what would you do?