1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear bumper

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaTSP4, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    TacomaTSP4

TacomaTSP4 [OP] Go Big or Go Home!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Rohnert Park, CA
    how much weight can the rear bumper handle since its connect to the frame? im just curious...

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    The bumper itself..not very much. I wouldn't trust it to jack it up on. What kind of weight are you putting on the bumper?

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    TacomaTSP4

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Rohnert Park, CA
    well i have no hitch so i was thinking bout hooking my shackle to where the tow ball hole is on the bumper...lol just thinking about it

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    ehhhhhh. I'd get a hitch or aftermarket bumper. Bumper is only rated to "tow" 1000lbs. The forces involved in recovery are often an order of magnitude greater than that.

The factory hitch is super beefy, it even has auxilliary brackets that hang down off the frame and provide additional support. I bought mine off a wrecked truck for 100 bones.

Even a non-OEM aftermarket hitch like a valley or hidden hitch would be far preferable to using the bumper, imo. These are available all day long for around 100.

If you are thinking about an aftermarket bumper (armortec, allpro, whatever...), you could buy a hitch now for minimal cost, install it in a few hours, and sell it when you are ready to step up to complete bumper.

It's not so much the bumper itself I'd be worried about, but rather the brackets used to hold the bumper to the frame of the truck. They're super flimsy little pieces, they'd give out pretty easy.

Additionally, the bumper seems to deform pretty easily. The PO of my truck seemed to have backed into something on the driver's side, not causing much cosmetic damage but seemingly put the bumper "out of alignment" and the gaps are not even, drivers v. passenger.

in summary, bad idea.

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    TacomaTSP4

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Rohnert Park, CA
    alrite thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top