1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Smell of rotten eggs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 08TacomaDC, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Mar 28, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    08TacomaDC

08TacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab sr5 4x4
    I have a newer 08 tacoma with over 6000 miles on it. I occasionally get the strong odor of rotten eggs or sulfur when I pull into a parking lot or slow down from a higher rate of speed. It's pretty strong once I really slow down or park the truck. Why is this, I only put Chevron or Shell gas in my truck. I thought it may be a catalytic converter problem but the guy from toyota said it takes time for something to burn off in the Catalytic converter and to give it more time. I call BS on that! Anyone know?

In addition, if I back out of the driveway or a parking spot, I put it in drive, it engages I slowly give it gas to take off and no response. It will move forward but it's like it isn't getting gas. Then all the sudden it'll jolt and take off. I thought there might be a fuel problem or exhaust flow issue? Again, anyone got anything on this?

Thanks

2. Mar 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    TAke it back to the dealer for a checkup.

In Volkswagens, its not uncommon to get a sulfer smell from the CAT when using gas with addatives.

OR stop eating all that spicey food and the smell will go away. :rolleyes:

3. Mar 28, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    WHOAAHHHH!!!! GUYS-WADDAYA THINK-MELTED CAT??? GET THAT THING TO THE DEALER NOW-you sound like you have an extremely restricted exhaust system which could kill the engine.

4. Mar 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    08TacomaDC

08TacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab sr5 4x4

Ha ha ha, that was my first thought! I was thinking to myself, "did someone just rip one"? I looked over at my girlfriend and she looked at me, I said it wasn't me! It's the truck! She didn't believe me. Thanks guys I have an appointment with the dealer.

5. Mar 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    05PreRunner

05PreRunner "Living life in the FAST lane..."

Member:
    <-(714)-> SO-CAL
    TRD intake, JBA "shorty" headers, URD y-pipe
    I used to get that smell when i first got mine. The smell would only come up right after hard accellerations though. It has since then gone away, it and has never been back.

6. Mar 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    CrashTest

CrashTest Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab V6 MT TRD Offroad
    ever seen Grumpy Old Men?? :D

7. Mar 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Mine would occasionally stink up the cab when I first started up the AC. It turned out that some mold was growing on the coils and that caused the smell. To fix it, you need to kill the mold or run the heater for a minute or two before you shut down.

8. Mar 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    nagelg

nagelg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Sounds like the catalytic converter.

9. Mar 29, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    thats my first thought

10. Mar 29, 2008 at 2:47 PM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
    You have bad gas (snicker). But really, if you are getting your gas from the same place every time, then just switch gas stations. It comes from a bad mixture, too much sulfur in the fuel. I was having the same problem, and then on the first tank at a different gas station the smell went away. Try it, it's definitely the cheapest and easiest solution. Then if it doesn't go away, take it to the dealer.

11. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    More than likely your cats are working fine. In fact, your cats are probably optimal. The smell of Hydrogen Sulfide is a good sign your cats are working properly. The gas you use, AFR, and cats are responsible for the odor. Eliminating the cats, that leaves you with gas and AFR. AFR is easy enough to check.............and if that looks good............you know it's the gas, but even so, as your cats get older, they will lose efficiency and the smell diminishes anyway.

12. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM
    08TacomaDC

08TacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab sr5 4x4
    I use either shell or chevron gas. How do you go about checking the AFR? I'm guessing this is a computer issue that the dealer or shop has to check.

Thanks everyone for the help.

13. Mar 30, 2008 at 1:09 PM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    Don't worry yourself unless you have other related problems such as stalling or hesitation. Your driving habits can also contribute to the amount of Hydrogen Sulfide produced. Running hard or uphill and then a stop and slow speed will contribute to the odor. If you live in a mountainous area also contributes.

You can install a gauge or have dealer check AFR, but I really think it is not needed. Do you punch it hard when taking off? Are you pulling anything?

Just change your gas for now. Let us know if anything changes or not. Running at perfect Stoich is very difficult.

14. Mar 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    If you read DC's origional post, second paragraph, doesn't it sound like a restricted flow of some sort? Anyway DC I'm glad you're taking it in. Hey it's under warranty so make them accountable-it's your money here>

15. Mar 30, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    08TacomaDC

08TacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab sr5 4x4
    I don't live in the mountains, I drive it very nicely not hard at all. Every once in a while I will get on it to get around someone but it's all flat driving. I'm also not towing anything. I really don't punch it when taking off, just a gradual acceleration. I'm finding my MPG is getting worse in town also, last tank was 12.7 MPG and this tank I am at 95 miles on the tripometer and almost down to half a tank! Which is worse than the last tank. I haven't had that bad of MPG yet.

I am taking it to the dealer next monday for the regular oil change, they gave me three free ones so I figured I'd use them. However, I don't really trust the dealer to do a thorough inspection, everytime I talk to them they give me some bogus excuse or tell me to wait and see if it gets better.

16. Mar 30, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Is there another dealer around there you can go to? Listen- the way you describe the truck's behavior..I would be very firm in my demeanor towards them. Speaking directly from experience, the only way to wake up that damn service dept. to do what you need, you gotta be not so passive. Trust me-they will respond or not respond accordingly. You paid a big number for your truck right? To them your truck is either another job or a potential liability. To you it's WAAY more than that. Don't allow them to dismiss you this way.

17. Apr 7, 2008 at 11:37 AM
    08TacomaDC

08TacomaDC [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab sr5 4x4
    So I took my truck into the dealer this morning and they called me back and they found the problem!!! Only I was very disappointed to hear that the problem was my OVERSIZED tires and more ethanol in gas these days. My tires are 32 inches. Stock I think is 31. I would hardly call my tires oversized. They ran diagnostics on the exhaust and fuel systems and found nothing.

I have kept track of every single fillup and charted everything on a graph. The trend is that my mileage is going down. My average is 14.6 MPG. My latest tank was 11.8 MPG. Highway is ok at 16 - 16.8.

Why is it that a full size Ford or Chevy truck, with a 5.3 or 5.7 liter V8 engine can get as good or better mileage than a 4.0 liter V6? The sticker on my truck says an EPA rating of 16 MPG city and 20 MPG highway. So am I just suppose to live with 12 city and 16 highway in a toyota? Is there anything I can do?

18. Apr 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Boy am I glad it's not serious-good 4 you! I'm wrong on a few things, this is one I'm glad to be way off on

19. Apr 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I had a problem similar to that. Except mine was water damage to the floorboard. You may want to try to look in the cooling fans and such to see if anything is in there. And if that dont work I would def take it back to toyota and have them fix it. Or maybe a professional car cleaner will know what to do about the smell.

Products Discussed in

To Top