1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New maintenance schedule for '10+?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cjastacio, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    cjastacio

cjastacio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I just got back from a new owners dinner held at my dealership. Now bear in mind here for my next question that there were mostly new Prius owners there. But the service director told us that Toyota will be putting out new maintenance schedules for 2010+ which states that the oil only needs to be changed every 10k miles with synthetic fluids. Has anyone else heard or seen this?

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    Surprising a dealer is telling you to see them less!That is if your willing to pay them to do that sort of thing

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    cjastacio

Member:
    well....they did say that the maintenance required light will still come on at 5k. In that case, we should go in for at least tire rotation:)

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    New owner's dinner? Wow, they must be killing people on Prius sales. As for the 10k, haven't heard about that on Toyotas but I'd have a hard time trusting an oil filter that long. I think BMW's do 10k service now. I'd still want to see an oil analysis and check out that filter. It's not like $30 in oil and filter is going to break the bank every 5k...

5. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my previous vehicle, the oil was fine when I drained it and had it analyzed at 8000+ miles.

As long as the warranty would not be problematic, I would be very happy to do the same with my Tacoma. Hopefully it will apply to 09s as well, and I'll wait until I see something in writing from Toyota saying it's OK.

I'll send the first couple in for an analysis, then probably every third oil change from then on just to make sure. If it is questionable at 10k, then I'll try swapping the filter and topping off the oil at 5k, and changing at 10k.

6. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:59 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Wow 10k, NO for me! I change mine every 3-4k and I dont trust anyone to touch my truck, BUT ME. :cool:

7. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I use synthetic - Penzoil Platinum. I let it go 7K miles on my last interval and was shocked at how gooey the oil was. I will not allow that to happen again. Stick to the 5K miles - even with synthetic oil.

3K is overkill and only recommended by the oil companies and quick-change shops.

Also, learn to change your own oil. Dealerships use crap oil that comes in 55 gallon drums. It's easy and fun to work on your truck. You'll feel better about knowing it was done right. I have found wrenches and rags in my engine compartment when I used to allow dealerships to do it. You just never know what they can screw up. I'd rather be in charge of screwing something up.

A Fumoto drain valve makes oil changes pretty clean and easy. It's a $25 investment.

As for tire rotation...leave that to a shop if you do not have experience or want to learn. That can actually be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. And it does NOT need done every 5K miles. Maybe 10K.

8. Jan 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Tires and oil, every 5000 miles

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    If there were other vehicle owners there, then I'm not surprised. We had a 2004 Sienna and the toyota maintenance schedule called for 7,500 mile intervals for oil changes (non-synthetic). So nothing surprising there to me because you'd expect they would go a little longer with synthetic.

BTW, one of California's state departments under CALEPA (can't remember which one) ran TV commercials a couple years ago telling people that you didn't need to change your oil less often than 7,500 miles. All oils were easily lasting longer than that and it was a waste of money, energy, etc to change it more frequently.

Now that doesn't mean I don't change the oil in my Taco more frequently than their recommendations...

10. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I can not imagine any reason why the Toyota V6 or I4 engines would cause oil to break down any faster than any other manufacturer's engines.

I will still send it in for an analysis, but I expect to find that a quality synthetic oil is still in great shape at 8000-12000 miles. In my previous vehicle, even driving hard in hot Kansas summers did not cause the oil to degrade in 8000 miles.

11. Jan 30, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I'll stick with every 5,000 miles...it's easy to remember and after having the oil analyzed on several engines (some ultra high performance street legal but purpose build racing engines) I know it's a good / safe maintenance interval.

12. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    cjastacio

Member:
    Thanks for all the great input all! I'm definitely not liking the idea of 10k so I'll probably stick to 5k. As for those of you who say not to let the dealer handle it, I feel ya! I've never liked anyone else touching my cars but I really don't have a choice. I really wish I had a garage but living in a condo and working in the parking lot is kina frowned upon:)

13. Jan 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    guizmouth

guizmouth Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guizmouth
    Cowansville,Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 TRD Tacoma (from USA)
    NO,NO,NO....never I'll do this.
    I often analysed motor oil in the past and yes the oil oxidation(Oil life) is good for a more than 10k but after 7k the silice(dust) is coming too high in the oil. It will wear the motor.
    Dusty Road=Less millage between oil changes.

14. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    I would stick with every 5K also

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would have no problems with running a synthetic for 10k miles. With a quality oil filter, there are no reasons or data to support 5k mile oil changes, just paranoia. Porsche recommends 7500 mile oci for their turbo cars and 15k miles oci for their normally aspirated engines. Engines that see demands that far exceed our Tacoma.

Products Discussed in

To Top