Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3" Lift Questions

Old 01-29-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Question 3" Lift Questions

So after doing my research I am going to lift my taco 3" with the readylift kit. Please note that I rarely off road and I am on a budget. The readylift kit is a spacer lift but does not affect the ride. The spacer is placed in between the frame and the strut (not in the spring) so the spring tension and travel remain the same as stock.

So my here are my questions that should have the same answer no matter what 3" lift kit I buy:

1. Does a 3" lift kit require break line extensions? If so where and what size should I buy?

2. Can aliment specs still be met with the stock uca? If not how close can you get and what uca do you guys recommend
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Most people would agree that more pressure on stock coil = harsher ride

you will not need a brake extension though

I got my alignment within spec with a 3 inch lift.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
but a readylift kit does not put more pressure on the spring.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't need to extend the brake lines. There is plenty of slack.

My shop got me in spec with stock uca's.

You'll get a lot of flack for the lift from the guys on here....

I've got 20K on my lift with no issues yet. Everyone chimes in that this lift is crap, but it has worked out well for me. The only actual report of a failure I've ever read was one of the top plate bolts broke on someone.
The rest in my opinion is all speculation unless someone posts pics of a failure related to this type of lift.

Oh great, now I'm going to get flamed too... thanks a lot...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Let me clear things up about the alignment, and the ontop the strut spacer lift.

Think of your alignment as the temperature adjustment in your shower. Factory spec is from COLD to HOT as long as it's in that range you can still take a shower. But the ideal setting (Perfect temp) is where you'd want to have it set.

So just getting your alignment into specs, is O.K. but it would be much better if you can set the specs to the ideal settings.

The spacers that go ontop of your strut may seem like an good affordable option. But it may cost you more in the long run.

The suspension has a set range that it can travel up or down. By adding the top spacer you are increasing the down travel range. Which may over extend your components and do major damage.

The spacer that goes into the coil, or the longer coils are still limited by the length of the shock. so it will avoid overextension of your suspension.

But these factors only come into play if you do extreme things. For daily driving the spacers are O.K. Just be aware of what might be potential issues.

Extended brake lines are always recommeded with any 3" lift. But with that spacer lift it would be almost be a requirement.

Just my $.02
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting... Yes I don't offroad at all...

When I jack up my truck, and am at full droop, there is still quite a bit of slack left in the front and back brake lines... maybe mine were long from the factory??
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Extended brake lines are always recommeded with any 3" lift. But with that spacer lift it would be almost be a requirement.

Just my $.02
FWIW, I never needed to add longer brake lines on any 3" lift.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
FWIW, I never needed to add longer brake lines on any 3" lift.
Sorry about that. you're right. The stock lines are long enough for the stock range. I was thinking about the spongy feel of the pedal.
It's been a long time since I worked on my truck.
But the ontop the strut spacer it would be a good idea to get the longer lines. Or you could remove the mounting bolt, and let the line extend more.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Sorry about that. you're right. The stock lines are long enough for the stock range. I was thinking about the spongy feel of the pedal.
It's been a long time since I worked on my truck.
But the ontop the strut spacer it would be a good idea to get the longer lines. Or you could remove the mounting bolt, and let the line extend more.
LOL, I thought you might be thinking of something else.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #10

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so don't correct me if I am wrong (lol) but a spacer lift that attaches to the top of the strut (readylift sst) has NO affect on the struts performance. The strut is completely left in the original state. It is although you lowered the bracket the strut attaches to.
RETRO ALERT
So think of a pogo stick if you put a spacer inside the spring like most spacer lifts do (but not the Readylift) and you jump on it will be stiffer and the spring will not be allowed to travel the 3 inches you just took up with the spacer.
Now if you take a pogo stick and tape 3" blocks on the pegs (not recommended lol you can hurt yourself) the person will stand 3"taller and the spring will still have its original properties like travel and stiffness.

PS: Thanks everyone for the answers. I think I will buy the SS braded brake lines anyway. I have been meaning to do this any way. I have heard that it helps with the sponge feeling.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #11

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
Ok so don't correct me if I am wrong (lol) but a spacer lift that attaches to the top of the strut (readylift sst) has NO affect on the struts performance. The strut is completely left in the original state. It is although you lowered the bracket the strut attaches to.
RETRO ALERT
So think of a pogo stick if you put a spacer inside the spring like most spacer lifts do (but not the Readylift) and you jump on it will be stiffer and the spring will not be allowed to travel the 3 inches you just took up with the spacer.
Now if you take a pogo stick and tape 3" blocks on the pegs (not recommended lol you can hurt yourself) the person will stand 3"taller and the spring will still have its original properties like travel and stiffness.

PS: Thanks everyone for the answers. I think I will buy the SS braded brake lines anyway. I have been meaning to do this any way. I have heard that it helps with the sponge feeling.
In reference to the spring rate and the travel of the strut? YES! You are on the right track!
But in regards to your CV, A-arms, and steering linkage? NO!! You don't want to have that additional strut travel.

Sure the strut can extend that far now that you installed the top spacer but the suspension is still stock.

So those on top the strut spacers are cheap. But they can cause a lot of damage if you over extend the suspension.

That's why Toytec coil spacers are between the coil and the end cap.
On top the strut I wouldn't go any more than 1/2" or so. Toytec does sell the on top the strut spacers also.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i had the spacers and yes i did feel a harsher ride.and i would reccomend the light racing upper control arms to you.good luck