1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" Lift Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dman597, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    dman597

dman597 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    So after doing my research I am going to lift my taco 3" with the readylift kit. Please note that I rarely off road and I am on a budget. The readylift kit is a spacer lift but does not affect the ride. The spacer is placed in between the frame and the strut (not in the spring) so the spring tension and travel remain the same as stock.

So my here are my questions that should have the same answer no matter what 3" lift kit I buy:

1. Does a 3" lift kit require break line extensions? If so where and what size should I buy?

2. Can aliment specs still be met with the stock uca? If not how close can you get and what uca do you guys recommend

2. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Most people would agree that more pressure on stock coil = harsher ride

you will not need a brake extension though

I got my alignment within spec with a 3 inch lift.

3. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    dman597

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    but a readylift kit does not put more pressure on the spring.

4. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    I didn't need to extend the brake lines. There is plenty of slack.

My shop got me in spec with stock uca's.

You'll get a lot of flack for the lift from the guys on here.... :crapstorm:

I've got 20K on my lift with no issues yet. Everyone chimes in that this lift is crap, but it has worked out well for me. The only actual report of a failure I've ever read was one of the top plate bolts broke on someone.
    The rest in my opinion is all speculation unless someone posts pics of a failure related to this type of lift.

Oh great, now I'm going to get flamed too... thanks a lot...

5. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Let me clear things up about the alignment, and the ontop the strut spacer lift.

Think of your alignment as the temperature adjustment in your shower. Factory spec is from COLD to HOT as long as it's in that range you can still take a shower. But the ideal setting (Perfect temp) is where you'd want to have it set.

So just getting your alignment into specs, is O.K. but it would be much better if you can set the specs to the ideal settings.

The spacers that go ontop of your strut may seem like an good affordable option. But it may cost you more in the long run.

The suspension has a set range that it can travel up or down. By adding the top spacer you are increasing the down travel range. Which may over extend your components and do major damage.

The spacer that goes into the coil, or the longer coils are still limited by the length of the shock. so it will avoid overextension of your suspension.

But these factors only come into play if you do extreme things. For daily driving the spacers are O.K. Just be aware of what might be potential issues.

Extended brake lines are always recommeded with any 3" lift. But with that spacer lift it would be almost be a requirement.

Just my $.02

6. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    Interesting... Yes I don't offroad at all...

When I jack up my truck, and am at full droop, there is still quite a bit of slack left in the front and back brake lines... maybe mine were long from the factory??

7. Jan 29, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    FWIW, I never needed to add longer brake lines on any 3" lift.

8. Jan 29, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Sorry about that. you're right. The stock lines are long enough for the stock range. I was thinking about the spongy feel of the pedal.
    It's been a long time since I worked on my truck.
    But the ontop the strut spacer it would be a good idea to get the longer lines. Or you could remove the mounting bolt, and let the line extend more.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    LOL, I thought you might be thinking of something else. :eek:

10. Jan 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    dman597

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    Ok so don't correct me if I am wrong (lol) but a spacer lift that attaches to the top of the strut (readylift sst) has NO affect on the struts performance. The strut is completely left in the original state. It is although you lowered the bracket the strut attaches to.
    RETRO ALERT
    So think of a pogo stick if you put a spacer inside the spring like most spacer lifts do (but not the Readylift) and you jump on it will be stiffer and the spring will not be allowed to travel the 3 inches you just took up with the spacer.
    Now if you take a pogo stick and tape 3" blocks on the pegs (not recommended lol you can hurt yourself) the person will stand 3"taller and the spring will still have its original properties like travel and stiffness.

PS: Thanks everyone for the answers. I think I will buy the SS braded brake lines anyway. I have been meaning to do this any way. I have heard that it helps with the sponge feeling.

11. Jan 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    In reference to the spring rate and the travel of the strut? YES! You are on the right track!
    But in regards to your CV, A-arms, and steering linkage? NO!! You don't want to have that additional strut travel.

Sure the strut can extend that far now that you installed the top spacer but the suspension is still stock.

So those on top the strut spacers are cheap. But they can cause a lot of damage if you over extend the suspension.

That's why Toytec coil spacers are between the coil and the end cap.
    On top the strut I wouldn't go any more than 1/2" or so. Toytec does sell the on top the strut spacers also.

12. Jan 29, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i had the spacers and yes i did feel a harsher ride.and i would reccomend the light racing upper control arms to you.good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top