1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bad do you think the "gas pedal issue" will affect Toyota?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chilic82, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Sure hope they don't declare bankruptcy and ask to restructure. Then ask for some government loans. Then they'd be just like their American counterparts.

2. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    As far as I've been concerned over the past few years, they are not that different than the domestics. In their quest for #1 they became slack and forgot their roots. Toyota has been marketing safety and quality for years - there is nothing else to them. They aren't built on styling innovations, cutting edge performance experiences, or over the top feature items. Toyota is supposed to be built on the basis of quality and low cost of ownership.

With multiple TSB's that Toyota are unwilling to update into production, as well as the ball joint, frame rust, and now accelerator recalls of the past number of years - I think they should take a deep look at their roots and either get back to producing quality automobiles, or continue in their current market strategy and enjoy their short victory as #1. You can claim quality all you want, but viewing Toyota forums and documented recalls indicate just as many issues as the domestics. Also, the last time I checked Toyota dealerships still have as many mechanics on staff as the domestic dealers. I'm sure Toyota isn't paying them to stand around all day or play poker - they must be repairing vehicles.

3. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...

hahaha!

4. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    +1

I think in a few months, we won't even remember it

Toyota lasts long, this pedal issue won't change it that the cost of ownership over all the years you have it is lower than any GM or Ford...

5. Jan 29, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

Funny how we all want Toyota to be the underdog in this. Unfortunately they are a big business, just like Chevy and Ford. They do the same thing, just like Chevy and Ford. Don't you think the Chevy and Ford folks are gonna let anyone forget Toyota's woes 'Just like Chevy and Ford". Personally, I hope they all stay in business, because we need competition to keep Chevy, Ford, and Toyota honest.

6. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD

X2

7. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
  8. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Toyota's CEO should consider himself lucky. He will probably leave Toyota in disgrace. Imagine if he was CEO of a Chinese Car company. Off with his head or firing squad.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Toyota is still better than GM and Chrysler Dodge Ford
    In the end it will buff out

10. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
  11. Jan 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    well the truth is EVERY car company does recalls so this is nothing new...i work for honda and they have had air bags that didn't deploy in civics during car crashes, alternators catching fire on crv's, brakes not working properly on odysseys, etc...maybe they caught it before the numbers of accidents got so large but the thing is it still happened....they have cut back manpower and everyone is doing twice as much work as they used to do....so mistakes are gonna be made eventually...a slight oversight is all it takes....but also all the parts on cars are made from all over the world...so whoever made this pedal part is the one to blame for this...not toyota...they supplied toyota with a bad part and toyota will suffer because of it....this happens all the time with things and the car company switches who makes that part or gets the design corrected....if things were like they used to be all toyotas would be made in japan with japan parts and their probably wouldn't be very many if any recalls ever...lol...but this is what happens when you start building things in america by american workers with parts from other countries besides japan...lol...at least they are gonna do a recall and fix the problem and not just overlook it ...as long as they make it right that's what counts....it's not like you have to pay to have the recall done....most of the vehicles getting the recall probably don't even need it...like a guy at work drives a tundra and he's getting the recall but he's been driving his truck for years with no problems...it's just a safety measure...his truck may be fine without the recall but they just replace it to be sure...just like they sent me a notice about my floormat just as a safety measure but in reality there is absolutely no way my gas pedal could get stuck on my floormat...it's nowhere close....yes this will affect toyota sales but not for long...i mean look at all the people that still buy fords even after their trucks were catching on fire while sitting in the garage at people houses....haha....accidents happen...companies make mistakes.....things go wrong....it just seems there's so many more companies involved with things nowdays and so many more opportunities for things to go wrong.....and they try to build things so fast now and still have great quality...it's just not possible to have 100% quality with the pace they make cars at now....sure they say it is but it's not...sooner or later something is gonna slip by...most of the time it's small things but sometimes it can be big things like this gas pedal deal....there's no such thing as a perfect car...even a brand new one has defects of some sort...most people just don't recognize them or they aren't that big of a deal

12. Jan 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    i just got back from the washington dc auto show. huge show with tons of cars from every company. toyota had their normal display similar to what they have every year (they have the second largest display to ford). and there were a lot of people in the toyota section all afternoon (not because they were askign questions abtou the recall). so while toyota is still going to take huge financial hit, as well as a blow to their reputation, i don't think they are going to have any problems in the long run. it was good to see that people are still interested in the whole of the toyota line.

13. Jan 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    JohnnyTaco

JohnnyTaco Is this thing on?

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR 4x4
    OV tune Wet Okole seat covers
    Brake override ftw!

14. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Like others have said, people have short memories. Toyota is already releasing a fix and like most every other recall in automotive history, stuff will be taken care of and people will continue on with their lives.

I actually find the amount of paranoia over this to be ridiculous. I saw one newscast where they were interviewing people who were "scared for their lives" to drive their car. Do these people not realize they probably have a 50 times greater chance of being t-boned at an intersection by a Freightliner than they do of having their pedal stick AND it causing them harm? The whole story has gone crazy and like most anything in the media these days, if there is anything that can be done to make people afraid, they'll milk it for all its worth (terror alerts, H1N1, etc.). People need to chill out, get the fix applied as soon as they can and focus on something productive. Just my opinion of course :)

Oh and Toyota will be fine financially in the long-run. If I had some cash lying around, I'd be picking up some stock. The media and market analyst nutbars have done their part in opening up the door for a great purchase opportunity IMHO.

15. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    I think it will hurt them for awhile but they will go back the way they were in a year or so

16. Jan 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Another day, another recall from a car manufacturer. Big deal. They all have them at one time or another because no company on earth is perfect. The difference with Toyota is, they aren't fighting it tooth and nail but trying to do the right thing.

In the end, Toyota will be fine. What's the alternative, buy a Ford/GM/Dodge? Nissan (been there, done that; garbage)? Honda (what truck do they sell?)? No thanks, I'll stick with Toyota (it's my first one, too).

Others are right, when the next celebuslut tape comes out or the next Congressman gets caught diddling an underage intern, this will be old news and people will remember the many many years of quality vehicles Toyota has, and still does, produce.

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    I don't think it'll affect the "quality" issue very much...Just like Ford and the 6.0 Powerstroke blowing Head gaskets like crazy. Ford still sold those trucks like hot cakes.

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    ROADHOG

ROADHOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the sun
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl cab 4x4 TRD Offroad fully loaded
    Big block Chevy engine(just kidding)
    Out here in AZ the Ford and Chevy dealers are suckering in Toyota owners to trade in their rides due to how "unsafe" Toyota has become and basically they are saying how Toyota owners are risking their lives driving a Toyota.What a bunch of shit!!!!!!!!!

I'd rather die in my Tacoma then own a Ford or Chevy!Fuck those vultures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    I think they'll have to start charging for sodas in their offices

20. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Sure seems like some are really focusing their anger at the wrong Automotive manufacturers. Ford and Chevy didn't buy the cheap parts from another manufacturer and put them into their vehicles. It's fair to believe that they would all do the same thing. In the end Toyota will do the right thing as well, because they need our money as much as we want their product. This is just incentive for Toyota to get their head out of the sand. Until then it's fair to take advantage of the situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top