Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

pulling out a stuck vehicle..any danger from doing it in reverse?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
pulling out a stuck vehicle..any danger from doing it in reverse?

i did a search, and found very little. i used to pull everyone out, when i lived in texas. recovering my little bro's early bronco, with my 1984 POS jeep cherokee was a highlight. i did alot in reverse. helps to see, hooks were up front, etc. even pulled some stumps in reverse.

is it bad for our tacoma trannies to yank in reverse?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I believe so. I have read on here somewhere that they said it was. I think you get a lot more power pulling forward too
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
From what I have heard and read over the years, it's not a good idea to pull in reverse. I believe the issue is the gears in the diffs and the strengh of them when in reverse.

Marc M
Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
I also have heard that recovery is easier on the running gear while in forward gears. That said however, I have done several recovery tows in reverse before knowing the difference and haven't seen any negative affects thus far - but won't chance it again if I don't have to.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
Pulling forward is using a lower gear ration. In my 2009 auto the first gear ration is 3.53 and the ratio for reverse is 3.22.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: U.S.S. San Jacinto (CG-56)
Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
Besides damaging the tranny, what about tearing up the front end? The rear axle is built to handle the extra forces of hauling a 1/2 ton of crap as well as towing or pulling someone out of the mud. What about the front end though? Its got to be pretty stout to survive being pulled out of the mud itself, but its not nearly as heavily sprung as the rear end.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Not related to tranny...I think what's bad when doing it in reverse is if it snaps, the hook or strap can go straight right at you.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told the reverse cut gear is thinner thus weaker so when ever possible pull forward
Old 01-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
Toymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Vet
Toymaker's Tacoma Gallery
The gearing and combination parts that a transmission uses in reverse, compared to forward gearing, are generally less rubust and are unsynchronized. It's perfectly adequate for the short periods of operation that your vehicle is used in reverse but, for pulling loads, it should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
From what I have heard and read over the years, it's not a good idea to pull in reverse. I believe the issue is the gears in the diffs and the strengh of them when in reverse.

Marc M
Ummm....so basically what you are saying, is it's bad to reverse a trailer too? Should we hook to the front and push, like this...... http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...0/ppuser/37368
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Ummm....so basically what you are saying, is it's bad to reverse a trailer too? Should we hook to the front and push, like this...... http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s...0/ppuser/37368
Just from the standpoint of protecting the gears,yes but pushing from the front end has it's own pitfalls. The front isn't as strong as the rear because of the IFS components. But parking a trailer is MUCH easier when it's hooked on the front of the truck

For a simple pull, I wouldn't hesitate to to pull in reverse (or reverse a heavy trailer). If the vehicle is really stuck and you'll need to work at it, better off to do it in forward.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
You arent backing that trailer over a bunch of rocks or through axle deep mud. Just a tad bit of differance in the amount of force generally being used there....

But pushing a trailer like that would make it a lot easier in tight spots. Handy little setup.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
2010?
Yep, thread revival FTW! Even in the 2nd Gen section and everything
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
First class awesome
CrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CrackerJackMack's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJackMack
nm, necro poster !
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread but info should be here.
Reason why you should never pull vehicles in reverse is that when you doing so you using coast side of the R&P which is weaker.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
First class awesome
CrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CrackerJackMack's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJackMack
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
haha thats pretty cool! Just reversing a trailer to park it isn't putting THAT much force on the drive train.
Only if you are slamming on the skinny pedal going up a hill or through the mud