1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'08 Rear Leaf Tsb Done???????

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by catskillbill, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Mar 29, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    catskillbill

catskillbill [OP] Member

Member:
    Delaware County,NY
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD Sport DC LB 4.0 Auto Indigo Ink
    Came home last night from Lowes with a total load with people and cargo of about 1100 lbs. On every little bump it hit the stops. I checked the springs, and I have the old 3 leaf setup on this brand new '08 sport dc long bed. It was just built in Jan.

Called the dealer, and he said to bring it in loaded so he could check it out. Told him it's raining now and I can't drive it back 30 miles to him with the load of ceiling tile I had on and get it wet.

Asked him to look up the TSB, and of course he found nothing for the '08's yet. Kinda pissed a jan. build would still have these crummy leafs.

How the heck do some of you guys get them to replace '08 springs if a TSB doesn't cover it yet?

2. Mar 29, 2008 at 4:31 PM
    aaronk

aaronk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Dbl Cab V6 TRD
    While I haven't done this myself, if you have an 08 and need/want the TSB your best bet is probably to call the Toyota 1-800 number and complain. They can authorize your local dealer to do it.

It ticks me off that Toyota hasn't extended the TSB for 08's as well. My 08 clearly has the old leafs and Toyota knows it. I guess they figure it's cheaper to keep building it with the 3 leaf pack and upgrade as needed rather than switch the whole line to the 4 leaf. :mad:

3. Mar 29, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    nc1100c

nc1100c Active Member

Member:
    I took pictures of mine new 08 with about 800 lbs. on it showing the bumpstops were hitting the frame. I also took photos of both the right and left spring showing the spring number stamped on top of each. I called my dealer,set an appointment to have it checked out. The day of the appointment I only talked to the head service manger showing him copies of the pictures with the spring number on it. I also had a printed copy of the TSB which shows the same defective spring number. After the tech checked it out comfirming the spring numbers on the 08 models were the same as the defective ones on the 07 TSB they called Toyota. Two days later they called me saying the work was approved and set a time to bring it back . Basically Toyota can not deny it has different springs when the numbers are stamped on top of the 08s. Im sure glad I had mine done. It rides and haules so much better. I had mine done when it only had 55 miles on it. Hope this helps.

4. Mar 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    I posted this someplace else but how many have actually weighed their trucks before complaining about the rear leafs?

I ask because as the origional poster stated he had 1100# of stuff in the bed of the truck. I happened to have to head over to the local landfill to dump the old sod and dirt from my front lawn as well. I had 1160# of dirt and experienced the same thing as the origional poster HOWEVER since they charge based on weight they weigh you going in and coming out. My truck weighed 5960# going in. I mention that because I only had me and my friend in the truck along with the dirt. If you know your specs you'll know that I was overweight by 510# for the GVWR. Personally I'm not going to go running to my dealer for a TSB on the springs when in fact I was actually over the GVWR of the truck by more than a few pounds. My second trip was even worse. I was sitting on the stops but I was at 1520# of dirt and the truck was over 1000# overweight at 6560#. Heck I'm not going to complain about the bump stops if the truck does that well when overloaded.

Just my 2 cent view

5. Mar 30, 2008 at 8:19 AM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    I have an 08 reg cab which from what I have read reg cabs are not included in the TSB .Well I can tell ya its got some piss poor factory three leafs that are flat when the truck is empty I do have a cap on the truck but the cap only weighs 130 lbs . I am very disappointed with the suspension and am going to contact Toyota about it . I Love the truck but hate the rear springs they are not suppose to bend downward with very / very minimal weight in the truck maybe 150 lbs . I have never loaded this truck ever I would say the most its had in its bed is 400 lbs tops. I have owned many toyotas and love em but sure hope they do something for me on this always flat or sagging leaf spring issue !

6. Mar 30, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    MY 08 regular cab has done fine with a full load. Even put a 900+ pound piano in it and hauled it 4 hours north. It didn't bottom out, and I only have the three springs. If I had a passenger or a larger cab I'm sure it would need the spring TSB, but it seems to work fine. Not all leaf springs are meant to bow downward unloaded, it depends on the vehicle. And my truck was made in September of 07, one of the first 08s, no way it has a new spring design.

7. Apr 2, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    yeah after 50k and multiple trips the springs will loose their strenght..good luck with that one.

8. Apr 2, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    It's been said before but only a fraction of people want the 4 leaf setup. No one I know around me even has 4 leaves since I always look under any Tacoma in a parking lot. Usually only if you have a real problem OR you come onto these boards (which only a small fraction do) would you get that TSB.

I got it and I do like it...but the ride was smoother before. Most people's needs will be met by the 3 leaves and smoother ride.

9. Apr 3, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    I'm up to 20k miles, and they still seem to be fine. Give me another year and I'll let you know about the
    50k mile benchmark. But there's a reason that the single cabs
    have never been included in the TSB. It's because we weigh so much less to begin with.

Products Discussed in

To Top