Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

'08 Rear Leaf Tsb Done???????

Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
catskillbill is on a distinguished road
catskillbill's Tacoma Gallery
'08 Rear Leaf Tsb Done???????

Came home last night from Lowes with a total load with people and cargo of about 1100 lbs. On every little bump it hit the stops. I checked the springs, and I have the old 3 leaf setup on this brand new '08 sport dc long bed. It was just built in Jan.

Called the dealer, and he said to bring it in loaded so he could check it out. Told him it's raining now and I can't drive it back 30 miles to him with the load of ceiling tile I had on and get it wet.

Asked him to look up the TSB, and of course he found nothing for the '08's yet. Kinda pissed a jan. build would still have these crummy leafs.

How the heck do some of you guys get them to replace '08 springs if a TSB doesn't cover it yet?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
While I haven't done this myself, if you have an 08 and need/want the TSB your best bet is probably to call the Toyota 1-800 number and complain. They can authorize your local dealer to do it.

It ticks me off that Toyota hasn't extended the TSB for 08's as well. My 08 clearly has the old leafs and Toyota knows it. I guess they figure it's cheaper to keep building it with the 3 leaf pack and upgrade as needed rather than switch the whole line to the 4 leaf.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
nc1100c will become famous soon enough
nc1100c's Tacoma Gallery
I took pictures of mine new 08 with about 800 lbs. on it showing the bumpstops were hitting the frame. I also took photos of both the right and left spring showing the spring number stamped on top of each. I called my dealer,set an appointment to have it checked out. The day of the appointment I only talked to the head service manger showing him copies of the pictures with the spring number on it. I also had a printed copy of the TSB which shows the same defective spring number. After the tech checked it out comfirming the spring numbers on the 08 models were the same as the defective ones on the 07 TSB they called Toyota. Two days later they called me saying the work was approved and set a time to bring it back . Basically Toyota can not deny it has different springs when the numbers are stamped on top of the 08s. Im sure glad I had mine done. It rides and haules so much better. I had mine done when it only had 55 miles on it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
I posted this someplace else but how many have actually weighed their trucks before complaining about the rear leafs?

I ask because as the origional poster stated he had 1100# of stuff in the bed of the truck. I happened to have to head over to the local landfill to dump the old sod and dirt from my front lawn as well. I had 1160# of dirt and experienced the same thing as the origional poster HOWEVER since they charge based on weight they weigh you going in and coming out. My truck weighed 5960# going in. I mention that because I only had me and my friend in the truck along with the dirt. If you know your specs you'll know that I was overweight by 510# for the GVWR. Personally I'm not going to go running to my dealer for a TSB on the springs when in fact I was actually over the GVWR of the truck by more than a few pounds. My second trip was even worse. I was sitting on the stops but I was at 1520# of dirt and the truck was over 1000# overweight at 6560#. Heck I'm not going to complain about the bump stops if the truck does that well when overloaded.

Just my 2 cent view
Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
08beachtoy is on a distinguished road

08beachtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 08beachtoy
Angry tsb

I have an 08 reg cab which from what I have read reg cabs are not included in the TSB .Well I can tell ya its got some piss poor factory three leafs that are flat when the truck is empty I do have a cap on the truck but the cap only weighs 130 lbs . I am very disappointed with the suspension and am going to contact Toyota about it . I Love the truck but hate the rear springs they are not suppose to bend downward with very / very minimal weight in the truck maybe 150 lbs . I have never loaded this truck ever I would say the most its had in its bed is 400 lbs tops. I have owned many toyotas and love em but sure hope they do something for me on this always flat or sagging leaf spring issue !
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
MY 08 regular cab has done fine with a full load. Even put a 900+ pound piano in it and hauled it 4 hours north. It didn't bottom out, and I only have the three springs. If I had a passenger or a larger cab I'm sure it would need the spring TSB, but it seems to work fine. Not all leaf springs are meant to bow downward unloaded, it depends on the vehicle. And my truck was made in September of 07, one of the first 08s, no way it has a new spring design.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
MY 08 regular cab has done fine with a full load. Even put a 900+ pound piano in it and hauled it 4 hours north. It didn't bottom out, and I only have the three springs. If I had a passenger or a larger cab I'm sure it would need the spring TSB, but it seems to work fine. Not all leaf springs are meant to bow downward unloaded, it depends on the vehicle. And my truck was made in September of 07, one of the first 08s, no way it has a new spring design.
yeah after 50k and multiple trips the springs will loose their strenght..good luck with that one.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
While I haven't done this myself, if you have an 08 and need/want the TSB your best bet is probably to call the Toyota 1-800 number and complain. They can authorize your local dealer to do it.

It ticks me off that Toyota hasn't extended the TSB for 08's as well. My 08 clearly has the old leafs and Toyota knows it. I guess they figure it's cheaper to keep building it with the 3 leaf pack and upgrade as needed rather than switch the whole line to the 4 leaf.
It's been said before but only a fraction of people want the 4 leaf setup. No one I know around me even has 4 leaves since I always look under any Tacoma in a parking lot. Usually only if you have a real problem OR you come onto these boards (which only a small fraction do) would you get that TSB.

I got it and I do like it...but the ride was smoother before. Most people's needs will be met by the 3 leaves and smoother ride.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah after 50k and multiple trips the springs will loose their strenght..good luck with that one.
I'm up to 20k miles, and they still seem to be fine. Give me another year and I'll let you know about the
50k mile benchmark. But there's a reason that the single cabs
have never been included in the TSB. It's because we weigh so much less to begin with.