Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sucks getting old

Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks getting old

I changed my oil last night, still using conventional, Pennsoil 5w-30, Fram 3614 and all is well but; WOW! was the oil black and very thin. I don't recall the oil being in this condition the last time I changed it. I am at 38,000 miles and drive very conservative, the engine has never even seen 4000 rpm. After seeing this I might have to look into oil additives or synthetics. Anyone out there seen this oil condition at such an early mileage.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Hey jedi, I used to use only Pennzoil, but a couple mechanic friends said that was the last oil they would choose ( both preferred Valvoline). I switched to Castrol because a company I used to work for used it in their Toyotas and all went well over 250k miles and sill looked clean inside the valve cover. But now I use Mobil 1 in the Toyota since new, and change it at 5000, and it looks dirty and thin too.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
think plugs get changed at 30K miles?
and you did al the stuff at that time?
and what does the tail pipe look like? ( ya i know it is a long pipe, but what color inside and is it a thick black ?
and "winter gas" there?
I AM NOT A EXPERT, but think if you are going to synthetic now is the time? if you want all the benefits of it?
and how many miles on that oil change, 3 or 5 k?
Original plugs, next on my list, and I change to oil when I get the message on the dash which I believe is 5000 miles, I'll have to look at the tailpipe, but the truck runs well.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
Hey jedi, I used to use only Pennzoil, but a couple mechanic friends said that was the last oil they would choose ( both preferred Valvoline). I switched to Castrol because a company I used to work for used it in their Toyotas and all went well over 250k miles and sill looked clean inside the valve cover. But now I use Mobil 1 in the Toyota since new, and change it at 5000, and it looks dirty and thin too.
When I was standing in the auto parts store, deciding what oil to choose, it was between Castrol and Pennsoil, I chose the latter because and friend of mine who at the time had a taco, now has a Tundra, said he uses Pennsoil and had good success. Hmm what to do ?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn`t sweat it. I`ve said before in another thread that I think a person could use, "Wolfs Head" brand oil and be fine if they change it when recommended. BTW my new car has a DIC ( driver info center) and when it tells me to change the oil it`s more like prob. 8000 miles, but I don`t go that far before a change.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
i'm just thinking if the plugs are starting to go south and max oil life might be most of the black

if not running at 100% it will be a bit dirty and hard to notice in the performance if you drive legal?
and if tailpipe sooted that could somewhat confirm it? or might have a dirty/flaky sensor
Thanks Phantom, job number one on Monday.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
mowey01 is on a distinguished road
mowey01's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Castrol for years in all of my vehicles. It seems to not break down as quick as others.
I used to have a Mazda 2 wd pu with a stroked small block chevy v8 in it that I drove on the street all of the time . This was the only oil that would not break down in less than 3000 miles in it.
My Tacoma will be getting the Castrol change when it is due for sure!!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
I wouldn`t sweat it. I`ve said before in another thread that I think a person could use, "Wolfs Head" brand oil and be fine if they change it when recommended. BTW my new car has a DIC ( driver info center) and when it tells me to change the oil it`s more like prob. 8000 miles, but I don`t go that far before a change.
I wrote the mileage down and am thinking if the oil is breaking down earlier than I expected, maybe a 3000 mile oil change would be the course of action needed. Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

Quote:
a lot of the "black oil break down" is really just carbon from unburnt fuel suspended in the oil

don't know your age, but remember the days of carbs and v-8's
was expected to start going black at 3k
when does it say for air filter?

ok think of your lawnmower ( if gas) what does that oil look like after a summer ( and a lot less than 3k miles. the engine is not as efficient)
I change the air filter when I do the oil, they're cheap. I am over do for the plugs, that will be remedied this week.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
I totally understand (agree) what phantoms saying about carbs and fuel dilluted oil. I believe a major reason for longer oil change intervals is fuel injection.Even with FI though the mix will be richer when cold.If I were still using conventional oil myself I would consider changing 3000k miles especially if you do more short trips.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #11

Quote:
I totally understand (agree) what phantoms saying about carbs and fuel dilluted oil. I believe a major reason for longer oil change intervals is fuel injection.Even with FI though the mix will be richer when cold.If I were still using conventional oil myself I would consider changing 3000k miles especially if you do more short trips.
Let it be written...let it be said.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Switch to Pennzoil Platinum. It tests very well in this engine. $18/5qt jug at WalMart.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #13

Is it conventional ? What makes it special ?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Is it conventional ? What makes it special ?
pennzoil platinum is synthetic, and on bitog(bobistheoilguy.com), it really tests better than m1 and royal purple. i run it(have run m1 also), good price like wilson said...at wallyworld.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
pennzoil platinum is synthetic, and on bitog(bobistheoilguy.com), it really tests better than m1 and royal purple. i run it(have run m1 also), good price like wilson said...at wallyworld.
Thanks, I am on a mission today to stay out of the house all day to give my wife some peace and quiet, she had to work all day yesterday, so her Sunday is her one day to try and recharge her batteries. I will go to the store and look into to this platinum series.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i use Mobile 1 full synth and only change my oil every 10k miles.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
2-Broke 2-Care
flavalk is on a distinguished road

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Oh Jeez....not this s@#t again

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2 (Large).jpg

Gotta love these oil threads
Attached Thumbnails
Sucks getting old-aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2-large-.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
bob857 is on a distinguished road

bob857's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavalk View Post
aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2 (Large).jpg

Gotta love these oil threads
Sorry cool, I didn't mean this thread to turn into this, I get just as tired about oil, TSB's, what tires will fit, and all the othe couldn't even finish without a puddle of sick splashing on the floor. I was surprised that the oil was sorry I'll just stop now.