Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

getting better fuel mileage??

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
wyoming4x4 is on a distinguished road
Marines: corporal and honorable discharge. Wrecker operator, marksman instructor
Name: robert
wyoming4x4's Tacoma Gallery
getting better fuel mileage??

2006 4wd dbl cab tacoma, 17.5 to 18mpg on highway. Looking to do some upgrades to get better mileage. A supercharger is a possible. reason is my truck downshifts a lot once we hit the mountains or any steep grade. I live next to the mtns. If I could help it carry a gear a little longer and not down shift possible fuel mileage gain. Its a theory but new to these tacoma's but really like these little trucks. The woman really likes this truck. Also exhaust and header/computor upgrades and what works. About to start some upgrades and curious to know what works. Thanks and talk to you soon!! this is our first toyota and it just happened to be a tacoma 4wd. Nice truck!!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGer View Post
Put in a high flow drop in airfilter (AFE is recommended)
Keep tires aired up
Use synthetic fluids
Get a scangauge to assess your driving habbits
And drive like there is an egg under the accelerator
Remove the secondary (Charcoal) air filter (4 cyl owners tend to see more benefit than 6 cyls)
i just bought a supercharger, and i can tell you im pretty sure i will not have better gas mileage afterward
Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
search...

consider this...you pay $600 for headers, $300 for a CAI, $400 for an exhaust...thats $1300 to try to save fuel! shoot, that right there is half of my total gas bill for 2009!! mods to increase fuel mileage will get you nowhere...do the math of you dont believe me...

try free mods: light foot, time lights, carry less weight, etc...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Marines: corporal and honorable discharge. Wrecker operator, marksman instructor
Smile thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
search...

consider this...you pay $600 for headers, $300 for a CAI, $400 for an exhaust...thats $1300 to try to save fuel! shoot, that right there is half of my total gas bill for 2009!! mods to increase fuel mileage will get you nowhere...do the math of you dont believe me...

try free mods: light foot, time lights, carry less weight, etc...
I can't argue with the math! Just looking for the magic part. New to tacoma's and got to ask questions. Smooth throttle is usually the best answer for fuel economy. When we hit the mtns it sometimes drop to about 14/15 mpg. We pull the mtns a lot. Catch you later and thanks for checkin in.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
DuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shedDuderAbides is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st EOD Co.
Name: Tom
DuderAbides's Tacoma Gallery
Lay off the go pedal, coast the hills, time lights, don't speed, coast to stops as much as possible. Those are the best things for gas mileage. Even though its a light 6cyl. Its still a truck.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
All above posts are good, also consider putting some street tires if you are running knobby-type off-road tires. (Less rolling resistance) But that might not be a good idea if you do much off-roading.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #7
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuderAbides View Post
Lay off the go pedal, coast the hills, time lights, don't speed, coast to stops as much as possible. Those are the best things for gas mileage. Even though its a light 6cyl. Its still a truck.
Agree 100%. Driving habits make a HUGE difference with the Tacoma!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:48 AM   #8
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
buy a prius if you want mpg's not a truck.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
Well got a off road truck and yota is my civilized truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
buy a prius if you want mpg's not a truck.
My tacoma is used for town and highway and running over the mtns. Nothing to serious as for off road. I do have two sets of tires for summer and winter. My michelin Ice tires are awesome in winter world. Once the temp drops to 0 degree's and down to -20 you really appreciate the softer compound that ice tires have. Been running michelin ice tires for yrs and love them. My off road truck is big block ford with lots of upgrades everywhere and it get 12mpg on 38" tire and weighs around 6000lb. So I'm always looking for the little things to get that extra mile to gallon. Building me a 1970 ford truck with mileage a main concern and some towing if needed. Keep you updated on this little project. I like off road racing trucks and link suspension!!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
i just bought a supercharger, and i can tell you im pretty sure i will not have better gas mileage afterward
x2- I get somewhere around 5-10% less then before. You can't get HP without giving up something else. In this case more $$$ at the pump.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i live in the san fran bay area..i bought all season tires. i keep them aired up perfectly, and i lay off the gas..go slow. around town, i can do 19mpg..on the open road, in cruise control..i did almost 23.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
lol a supercharger to save gas... thats a first. and the thousands you pay for the supercharger will not pay itself off over time
Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
I am heaving the worst gas mileage ever right now with this winter gas shit!
I used to get like 400 til the light comes on

now i get the like right 325 or 350 at best..... SUMMER!!! I WANT SUMMER!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
Factory programmed for best overall MPG already. For the masses anyway.
You still considering installing one on yours ????
Old 01-31-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
I got mtns everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
lol a supercharger to save gas... thats a first. and the thousands you pay for the supercharger will not pay itself off over time
I got mountains and when you run them often you don't get much over 15/16. Always in the next gear down. I live at 4000' elevation and have to go up and over to get anywhere, meaning 4000 to 9000'elevation. Their is also a derate on hrspwr for the elevation. Meaning my power to weight ratio gets worse with fuel mileage. I love the truck but want to possibly get better. Also when winter hits always in 4wd and about 14mpg. Just did about 800miles in 4wd on a trip over the continetal divide last month. This is common for us on our little trips. Gonna be heading to texas next month. Kinda all down hill on the way their but its all up hill on the way back! I guess your kinda getting the picture with my situation. Forced induction is common in higher elevation situation. If you have never ran the higher elevation much can't help you. My off road truck has got a 550 hrspwr truck but the elevation takes away from that about 80hrpwr to 100+ depending on elevation. So to make a 500 hrspwr truck you build a 600hrspwr motor here to do it. Elevation is a beach and forced induction is the other option. Learned a lot from high elevation tuning. Catch you later and I'll keep you updated on mods.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Scangauge and you'll learn a lot about your driving habits.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
^ true, but that is $140 that could have gone to gas as well. you dont need a computer to tell you to have a light foot!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #18
21tat is on a distinguished road

21tat's Tacoma Gallery
Great advise guys, thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #19
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Get a Scangauge and you'll learn a lot about your driving habits.
Don't order it from Amazon though...I ordered mine over a week ago. No tracking status from the seller is available on Amazon. I've called the seller, no response. I've emailed the seller, no response.

This internet thing is gonna be big one day after they work out the bugs...

Products Discussed in this Thread