Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate Theft Prevention: Cheaper than the Bike Clamp Mod

Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
SoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud of
Name: Joe
SoCaliSnowboarder77's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate Theft Prevention: Cheaper than the Bike Clamp Mod

I did the bike clamp mod too before I did this. But I went to the 99 cent store today and found a thin bike clamp cable combo lock. Check out the pics. Very easy and only took 10 seconds. Works well and it's only a $1.08 after taxes in Simi Valley.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
i believe you did the hose clamp mod on the wrong side, unless its different for 09s
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
yea a simple wire cutter couldnt take care of that
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
SoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud ofSoCaliSnowboarder77 has much to be proud of
Just an extra thing to deter thieves. The bike clamp mod should be done too. No noise issue at all since my music is blasting at 41 most of the time.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
yea a simple wire cutter couldnt take care of that

but a wire cutter is something they probably wouldnt carry around if they were trying to steal a tailgate and that also takes extra time and hassle in which case the thief would just move on to another truck...its not about making the theft impossible...noone can really do that cheaply...its about making it a hassle and more time consuming than just slipping the tailgate off...which i think the OP did very well and it hasnt been thought of before (to my knowledge)

Good mod OP!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliSnowboarder77 View Post
Just an extra thing to deter thieves. The bike clamp mod should be done too. No noise issue at all since my music is blasting at 41 most of the time.
jesus christ
Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. But why go so cheap on something that wouldn't be too hard to cut or break? Tailgates are expensive...I'd rather shell out a bit more to ensure security, than to be forced into buying a new tailgate cause it got stolen.

Just my two cents. But to each one's own.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
i believe you did the hose clamp mod on the wrong side, unless its different for 09s
It's not different for '09s, is it? Mine is on the other side, the right side which I now hope is the right side.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #9
Thanks for the props AlexForbesR6...

I plan on buying a tonneau when I have more funds. As you can see I just bought a 2010 Skate Banana that costs as much as a tonneau cover. That board is bad ass! It's like the Tacoma TRD Off-Road version of snowboards... not too expensive, but as capable as more expensive boards.

BTW, I have clamps on both sides and another 99 cent cable lock. The clamps came in pairs so might as well put it on for kicks.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
c2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the roughc2thegreat is a jewel in the rough

Army: Infantry
c2thegreat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm all for the hose clamp mod or pop and lock if it makes you feel more secure but are tailgates stolen that much anymore?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yea cause on mine it lifts out from the right and slides out from the left. so putting the hose clamp on the right side makes it so you cant lift it out
Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Unless you put clamps at both sides , you got the clamp on the wrong side dude
Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjimenRR View Post
Unless you put clamps at both sides , you got the clamp on the wrong side dude
The clamps are on both sides. I didn't know it only needed one side. Some old dude with a 4-Runner at a gas station told me about the hose clamp mod and I bought some at the gas station. Then that old dude told me to join TW.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
That cable lock does the same thing as my steering wheel club - does not prevent theft but might make a thief think twice before bothering with it ("hmm... is it really worth the hassle? Nah, I'll just find another vehicle to bust up." That's what I want them to think!)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Hose clamp mod = hardly detectable.

Bike clamp mod = bolt cutters would pwn.