Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I started using synthetic oil

Old 03-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
I started using synthetic oil

Yesterday I decided to change the oil in everybodies vehicles at the house. I started off changing the oil in my stepsons Taurus. Next was my son's new 2004 Olds Alero. I changed the wifes Scion Tc. Then it's time to change the Tacoma's oil. I decided to go synthetic, My wife had just frustrated me so my mind was off somewhere else. I drained the old oil (I left the drain pan under the tacoma). I changed the filter (remember my mind is somewhere else). I opened up the new synthetic oil and started pouring! The jug was almost empty when I realized I most have missed something. Yep, the drain plug was still on the ground!!! Four and a half quarts drained right through the engine and into the drain pan. God, I was pissed. So, off to the Middleburg wally world to get another jug of synthetic oil!!!
Anybody else do this or was it just me?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
Dutch will become famous soon enough
Dutch's Tacoma Gallery
Yep! Did the same thing before, but there was beer involved. "Taste great and less filling" was right!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
it wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt synthetic
Old 03-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Yep! Did the same thing before, but there was beer involved. "Taste great and less filling" was right!
Same here. Helping a friend, he had installed an oil cooler (deeper pan w/fins if I remember correctly) on his sandrail. We kept checking the dipstick, knowing it would hold more oil, then figured it out when we seen the puddle approaching our feet.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
shit happens

not as bad as me when i was installing my cold air intake. i put the mass airflow sensor in backwards and was wondering why my truck wouldn't start
Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
I've never done it before, but I ALWAYS fear I'll do it. I fear I'll do this or I'll fear I'll forget to put the new filter on.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Guess it's a good thing you left the pan under there or you would have been pickin up oil and kitty litter!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
2-Broke 2-Care
flavalk is on a distinguished road

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Yesterday I decided to change the oil in everybodies vehicles at the house. I started off changing the oil in my stepsons Taurus. Next was my son's new 2004 Olds Alero. I changed the wifes Scion Tc. Then it's time to change the Tacoma's oil. I decided to go synthetic, My wife had just frustrated me so my mind was off somewhere else. I drained the old oil (I left the drain pan under the tacoma). I changed the filter (remember my mind is somewhere else). I opened up the new synthetic oil and started pouring! The jug was almost empty when I realized I most have missed something. Yep, the drain plug was still on the ground!!! Four and a half quarts drained right through the engine and into the drain pan. God, I was pissed. So, off to the Middleburg wally world to get another jug of synthetic oil!!!
You're not the first and certainly won't be the last. Hopefully it didn't all run down your driveway....I've seen that happen too. What a mess
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
This brings to mind another oil change story. I had a friend come over while performing some vehicle maint. He was real proud of his new Nikes, I mean brand new. He turned around and stepped right in the oil pan full of dirty oil. Man what a bummer.1985 -86ish
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Look at it this way, at least you pulled the right plug....well in a way?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #12
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
so beer and women are the good reasons ;-D
I managed to screw up an oil change without either. I was changing the oil on my brand new 1983 Chevy 1/2 ton. First new truck I ever owned. Took the old filter off, drained the oil, put the new filter on and the plug back in and filled it up with oil. So far limited mess.

Reached in to start the truck to make sure the oil presure comes up and thats when I hear this weird but load farting noise. Have enough time to think "What in the Hell is that?!!" when this puddle of oil start spreading across the floor at which time I turn off the truck and then started using various forms of the f-bomb. Wife comes out into the garage and after a second does the same. We had just moved into a new house, boxes of stuff were stacked in the garage and the oil was running under the boxes. Afraid to start the truck to move it so I'm crawling under the truck trying to soak up the oil and stop the spread. Now very big mess plus the neighbor has noticed. A least between belly laughs he helps contain the mess.

Well it turns out that when I took off the original oil filter the gasket stayed on the truck so I had two gaskets and the oil squirting out between the two gaskets was the noise I heard. To make matters worse oil got all over the exhaust system and engine (I wiped a much off as possible) but when I did start the truck and it got hot I looked like a crop duster going down the road until it burned off.

Now just me, my wife, my old neigbor and you fine people know. So don't tell.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #13
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Now those are some funny stories. I guess mine wouldn't have been so bad but my wife was nagging me for purchaseing the synthetic. So, 20 bucks later....
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
esanvilla is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air National Guard
esanvilla's Tacoma Gallery
Spilled Oil

It sucks when something like that happens. I feel that way when I just spill a little of that synthetic "gold", as much as it costs.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
2-Broke 2-Care
flavalk is on a distinguished road

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now those are some funny stories. I guess mine wouldn't have been so bad but my wife was nagging me for purchaseing the synthetic. So, 20 bucks later....
Here's a tip.... Don't tell your wife about what you buy or (especially) how much you spend. This logic has worked well for me over the years.

Also, always stash extra cash in a shotgun/rifle case or some other place she will never look. It never hurts to have a few extra bones laying around when oportunity presents itsef
Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavalk View Post
Here's a tip.... Don't tell your wife about what you buy or (especially) how much you spend. This logic has worked well for me over the years.

Also, always stash extra cash in a shotgun/rifle case or some other place she will never look. It never hurts to have a few extra bones laying around when oportunity presents itsef

I stash cash in my range bag and a twenty behind my drivers lic.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #17
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
We all have done similar or had close calls, so when I drain mine out I always wait right under the truck or car, till the pan drains then clean and replace drain plug asap and I always put the oil filler cap with the new oil as a reminder. Damned "senior moments" !!!

I have just changed over to 5-30 Mobil One at 16,000. and will change about every 5000 or if the syn stays very clean perhaps 6,000. I like to do this myself but don't have a garage and like to time my changes for the warm weather, i.e. spring and fall. Mobil One is very good in the cold NE winters.
Jeff 06,V6,4x4 SR 5 6spd, Radiant Red