1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab Dog Platform UDPATE (pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    DocD

I did the headrest removal from an 09 Access cab using ETAV8R's writeup and it was actually quite simple and quick. Maybe 30 minutes max, the back shelf is literally just snapped in with plastic plug things and it is very easy to do, improves rear viewing as well. It is well worth it.

I am going to make one of these shelves as soon as the tax check comes in... And i don't even own a dog yet. I think it will be very useful for hauling things around

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    FLJB

I agree I don't have a dog either but I just think it would be so handy, in just everyday living. like going to the grocery store, I do a little hunting and a great place to set my rifle, I really like the Tacoma, but that back seat could use a little "Remodeling" I liked the old ones so much better, Thanks for the encouragement on the headrests, You can "color them gone!" Doc

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Hell now I'm thinkin bout making a shelf and putting my 09 back in and making a shelf. Maybe one that can fold over to the other side so that someone can sit back there if needed and not put the shelf in the bed of the truck.

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    rockinray

rockinray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    Awesome idea, my wife and I just adopted a retired Greyhound racer. They don't have much padding on them and she takes up quite a bit of space back there and I know that center console can't be very comfy for her. We do a lot of camping in the summer and take the odd trip from Nova Scotia to Ontario which is about 1900km one way. I think this would make the trip a lot more pleasant for her. Plus we have an old Pom as well. I was thinking about making a platform to go in front on the seats and put padding on them to be level with the seats bu this would work great.

5. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    This is a really great idea. It takes what is essentially unusable space and makes it useful.

6. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Wyotaco

Wyotaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off-road 4x4
    Cold air intake, Westin bull bar, PIAA Fogs, heated seats =)
    ya it really feels like it doubles the usable space I have for my dog, and for tools, boxes, exc. and can be washed/cleaned alot easier than the reg seats.

7. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab

How about a picture? I am a dog lover,(we do not have one) have had several over the years but the last was a heart breaker, if we get another a greyhound (ex racer) has been on the top of the l list, I have a huge yard (fenced) tell your us of your experence if you will, (I know this is a Tacoma forum so send by pm if you want, Thanks Doc

8. Feb 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    85yote09taco

85yote09taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD OR
    3'' OME lift, TRD CAI, Built Right UCAs, 285 Goodyear DURATRACS, black steelies, Fog light anytime, DTRL, Alternating turn signal, Diff breather relocated, Carrier bearing drop, Weathertechs, Bestop, Extended SS brake lines, CBI Sliders w/kickout, Cab mount chop, Total Chaos LCA skids, All Pro skids, Satoshi(HomerTaco), Bruteforcefab ''HC'' rear bumper, Bruteforce Hybrid front bumper
    this is a great idea and thought of doing something similar for a while. Good thinking

9. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    rockinray

rockinray Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    I will post a couple pics soon of our Ginger. I have a couple on my Blackberry but are not that great as I have a hard time getting her to pose for a pic. We have only had her two weeks as of today but she is a great dog. She is still getting comfortable with all the newness of living in a home as she just retired from the track the end of December. She came from the Mass. area in January. I am not sure where you are from but we have a group here call GPAC or Greyhound Pets Atlantic Canada who bring them up from the US where they know the trainers and breeders. They are all checked out by vets and have their needles all up to date, spayed/neutered and such. They have been around for 20 years and have placed over 2800 retirees in homes. They do make a great pet and do not require a lot of room or exercise, just a couple good walks a day. They tend to be very gentle and calm on leash or at least our baby is. They all seem to have their own unique personality. They are also known as the 45MPH couch potato and they are right on as they are a lazy dog and just as comfortable laying around as they are out running. If you are in the hunt for a dog, I would definitely consider giving a retired one a home, we plan to add another one once our little Pomeranian is gone.

10. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I did about the same thing...Great for all kinds of storage and the dogs too! Plus the rifles can go under the platform....out of site!!! You did a great job with the Toyota name on the carpet!!!

11. Feb 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    MocoTaco

MocoTaco Active Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco reg cab 4cyl., AT, 5 lug
    NICE!! but it won't fit on my regular cab taco, my poor ol dog "Stupid" will have to ride in the back.

12. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    Actually started on this mod today... No build pics ( no camera - I'm lame) but i will have a couple finished pics upon install next weekend... I've got things to do tomorrow so i will work on during week after work... I wanted to outline my build list and plans as they stand now in case anyone needs them. If they don't make sense, then next weekends pics will hopefully clear up...

Parts list:

1 15/32" 4X* sheeting - $13.97
    1 2X2X8 premium Furring strip - $1.61
    1 1X2X8 premium furring strip - $0.82
    1 can 3M super 77 adhesive - $9.57
    1 roll black Wal-Mart auto Carpet replacement - $8.88
    some #6 X 2 interior wood screws - $1.97
    some #6 X 1-1/4 interior wood screws - $1.97
    2 packages of Furniture Glides - $0.87 each ( may not use these though)
    1 staple gun with 3/8 staples - free had that
    1 small bottle Gorilla Glue - Free had that

Total $40.53 plus applicable state and local sales tax.

I had Lowes cut the plywood into 2 52" X 20" pieces. ( I set my seats where i wanted them and measured, i am vertically challenged so the 20" depth works for me you may need to adjust as needed.)

I also cut 4 pieces of the 2X2X8 furring strip into 12" sections.

I cut 5 pieces of the 1X2X8 furring strip into 5" pieces.

I gorilla glued and clamped the 2 52"X20" pieces of plywood together and let dry for a couple of hours.

I then test fit into the truck, it works for me, with about a half inch of space on either side with the access cab doors closed, which will work out nice with the carpet applied... I intentionally cut wider than BSP 4X4's because i want to add legs on the corners and middle but i am still gonna let it rest on the back seat storage compartment like he did...

This is where i am at for now, as i want to apply the carpet to the legs before screwing the legs to the top and then carpeting the top for a nice clean finished look, but what follows are my plans...

I noticed that the back edge allows for room to put legs or supports on it that will support in between the back seats (confirmed with the test fit) and as well on the outer edges of the rear side. That is my plan to add structural support.

I marked the center of the rear edge at 26". I will screw one 5" piece there. then i marked 5 1/2" from the center point on the rear edge where the first piece is and will screw a 5" piece at each of those locations. this will put a support between the rear seat and rear seatbelt storage location. I will also put a 5" support on the rear edge at each outside corner which will fit between the rear cab side wall and the rear seats.

I will then screw in the four front supports using the 12" 1X2" pieces. These will be located one at each front corner and one at an equidistant location on either side of the drivetrain bump.

I am carpeting each leg to ensure they have a finished look, will affix that to the platform and then carpet the whole thing....

I am stoked with this project and will post pics of top and bottom when finished... I want to thank BSP 4X4 for the idea and pics which motivated me to undertake this...

More to come next weekend.

amyracecar likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    DogTaco

DogTaco Member

Member:
    To those using platforms how tall are your dogs? I'm looking at getting a Tacoma and am wondering if I can use this for my greyhound. Thanks!

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    Wyotaco

Wyotaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off-road 4x4
    my lab in the pics above sits about 34 inches and standing is about 30, from her front paws to top of her head, she isnt cramped and loves looking through the side windows and sticking her head out the back mid window, height wise she has plenty of room, but a grayhound will have a few more inches on it :rolleyes:

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Wyotaco

Wyotaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off-road 4x4

Awesome cant wait to see it! I had alot of fun on this project as well, best of luck

16. Mar 14, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    OK, here are the pics of my finished platform...:D:D:D

Note how the platform butts right up against the back of the front seat storage area. Makes for a snug fit. The black helps to make the interior look good i think. The front post are 12" and the rear are 5" but if i had to do it again i would increase all by 1/2" as one rear post does not sit perfectly level and i shimmed it with a folded piece of scrap carpet and it is all good.

The underside pictures show the 4 front support posts, they are located directly across from the rear posts. The middle two are 12" from the center of the platform which is 52" wide. The rear posts are oriented like the one in the picture except for the center post which is sideways to give the most contact.

I have a Micro-Fiber cloth on the rear-seat storage compartment to protect it from the wood since there is not enough carpet in the Wal-mart auto carpet to do the whole whole platform. I actually bought a second roll of the carpet, but decided not to use it for that little bit on the underside, so i took it back.

I also bought 2 19Qt Rubbermaid storage bins to put underneath the platform to hold misc stuff in. Pretty pleased with it and have already used it. Enjoy!

168.jpg
    167.jpg
    173.jpg
    169.jpg
    170.jpg
    171.jpg

GreyInferno likes this.
  17. Mar 14, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    Wyotaco

Wyotaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD off-road 4x4
    tight fit, looks sharp well done.

does it come out easily with what... 6 legs? for if people need to sit back there on occasion?

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:22 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    FLJB that is one nice shelf. Props to you sir!

19. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    Thank you Wyotaco! Yes, it comes right out, Lift up about 6 inches first and rotate forward and out it comes... Although, i don't have many people riding back there.

20. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    Thank you ETAV8R!

Products Discussed in

To Top