LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changing my oil and I . . . .

Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Metal Magic is on a distinguished road
Metal Magic's Tacoma Gallery
Changing my oil and I . . . .

well I have about 15000 miles on my 07 access cab, today I was swaping the oil and filter and noticed an amount of metal particles in the used oil. Is this normal? A friend of mine said that often these motors take thousands of miles to break in, is this true? anyone else have experiences with metal flakes in the oil on something this broke in ?

Thanks

BTW this question prompted me to join, this looks to be the best tacoma forum on the web and i'm sure this will be a cool place to hang around.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
15K? Seems like you shouldn't be seeing metal particles at that point. I don't see any and I'm only halfway there.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think you should have metal particles (or any particles).Are you sure the drain pan was clean? Maybe you could have got some dirt / debris knocked loose from the underside of the truck?
Old 03-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
yes that would be my third change, I found these particles even in the oil filters dirty oil. They are very small and almost look like gliter I cant prove if they are metal they may be oxygen bubbles? I am going to go outside and look again.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a magnet, fish around a bit and see if it picks up anything. (Suggestion)
Old 03-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
the funny thing is that it shines green, purple
Old 03-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
True, true. Good Point and suggestion.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Case solved !

ok so I went outside and reexamined the oilpan, I see that theses flakes are green and purple when they shine in the sun. I look very closely and see that these "flakes" are not only on in the oil but indeed cover the whole top of the pan, well I did not drain my oil into the pan first, I drained it into a bucket which also had reminates of these falkes at the bottom. I walk into the garage and see next to where we keep the oil pan and bucket what . . . . A can of silver spray paint, next to that a broken taillight lense. I look at the tailight lens and see that it has some over spray on it, I take it outside and hold it up in the sun. The same damn metal flakes, Conclusion Dumb little cousin must have been in the garage spray painting his guitar (It has same color paint and infact I think he bought this can because I didn't) right next to my oil pan. the metal flake particles must be flaotin around and settleing on my supplies. hence the oil running down the pan was breaking these flakes loose and mixing them into the oil. The bucket also containd these flakes because it was right next to where I found the evidence (taillight with overspray on it) so these flakes are not from my oil yet have been contaminated from the surroundings, only one thing left to do teach my little cuz a lesson . . . . .

Thanks for the help everyone I was getting ready to head down to toyota with my dirty oil untill my detective skills kicked in.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Pastry Chef
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Good job inspector. Wooh sigh of relief,wipe persperation from forehead.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
Good job inspector. Wooh sigh of relief,wipe persperation from forehead.
yeah I was really starting to get scared when every one here was saying this wasn't normal.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
Whew!
I was suckin through my teeth!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Me too Bill !
Old 03-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #13
I should have known what was up because the flakes didn't look aluminum they were very reflective, but if any one was losing it it was me j/k
Old 03-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #14
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
At least you had the sense to look in the oil, you definitely could not work at Jiffy Lube. he he
Old 03-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #15
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Good thing you got to the bottom of it, I was about to suggest your truck is FKed up and sell the damn thing and get a new one.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Magic View Post
I should have known what was up because the flakes didn't look aluminum they were very reflective, but if any one was losing it it was me j/k
very true, In fact I just cut my oil filter in half to get to some fresh uncontaminated oil. once inside there where some small flakes, dirt, desbrie, etc but no green/purple flakes. I am feel better knowing that my truck is ok (seeing that I still owe 12000 dolalrs on it) what a crazy day next time I change my oil I will be sure to clean the shit out of the pan with some gas and a few old rags. I might just go buy a new one.

Moral of the story is . .. . . . . well I don't think there is one maybe don't spray paint inside ?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Gratz on finding the source of the flakes before heading to the dealer!