1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High pitched noise from vents

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gbcrewds, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    gbcrewds

gbcrewds [OP] Member

Member:
    I have noticed a high pitched whining noise coming from the vents during this winter on my 08 Tacoma access cab. The noise gets louder the higher I turn the fan up and stops when the fan is shut off.

Any ideas as to the cause or possible solutions?

thanks
    gary.

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Vents telling you to take a shower? jk I have no clue.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    t-com09

t-com09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 single cab 4x4 sr5
    Bilstien 5100's yellow foglights toolbox pop n' lock
    i noticed the same problem with my 2010 single cab recently, still not exactly sure what it is

4. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Is it this? T-SB-0380-09.pdf

5. Jan 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    williegator

williegator Well-Known Member

Member:
    atlantic beach florida
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    toytec Ultimate kit set @ 3 inches, Light Racing UCA's, HELO HE791 17X8 WHEELS, BFG 285-70-17's, secondary air filter removed, ARI drop in filter, Scan Gauge, Roll N Lock
    Noticed the same thing with my 09 this weekend also...the TSB sound like exactly it...much thanks......

6. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I have the same problem with my '07. :(

7. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

me 2, seems to be at its worst in 3rd positoin

8. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a whistle as well. My tends to pop up when I have it on floor/face vents and the temp. slightly on the hotter side. Once I move the temp. knob in either hot or cold direction , the noise goes away. I'll mess with the blower next time and see what happens.

9. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    It is the TSB with for the Heating system. Low out put from the heater when the heat selector is on "High" (Max). If you curious to see if you have a reduced air flow, turn your fan on low, and move the heat selector from mid-range (blue/red) clockwise. About half-way down the "heat" side, you should start to hear the "whine" noise. As you increase the temperature setting, the noise and pitch will change, as will the air flow. There is a noticable difference in air flow between mid-range heat and high heat. If you're under warranty, take your truck in with a copy of the TSB and aske them to look at it. I complained about mine at the 5K mile checkup (when they did the "Harsh Ride" TSB, and they changed out the blower motor (said the motor was faulty), but the noise and restricted air flow still exists. To me, it is tolerable, but I plan on taking the TSB with me for the 10K mile service and tell them I want it fixed.

10. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    This TSB was done on my truck, but the restricted air flow TSB was not....and needs to be. See my previous post.

11. Feb 1, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    gbcrewds

gbcrewds [OP] Member

Member:
    That bulletin seems applicable to this, squeal gets worse the colder it gets and at -23C (-9.4F) this morning in northern ontario you could definitely hear it. I have my truck in for warranty repair for a roof leak next week and will see if they can fix this at same time.

I will let you know how it plays out, much appreciated everyone.

12. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    cntrygirl89

cntrygirl89 Member

Member:
    Lloydminster AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Trd
    I had the same problem and took it in, Toyota changed the blower motor (on warranty) and its worked great ever since.

13. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    shockittillyareconizeit

shockittillyareconizeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Coma PreRunner
    Front - Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Maxtrac 4" lift spindles, TC UCA's Rear - Billy's 5100/1.5 AAL, 3" lift blocks MB Predator wheels - 16x8 plasti-dipped matte black Toyo Open Country A/T 305/70/16 Satoshi grille Blacked out badges DTRL Wet Okole seat covers
    I had a similar problem with my truck. The noise i heard would get worse with my speed and sometimes when my fan was on. For those of you, if any that don't really hear the noise so much when the fan is on, but when you're driving above about 30, it's your windshield. Sometimes they don't properly seal the window and air comes in little holes form the outside and such which accounts for the noise. If this only happens when your fan is on and not with speed change, disregard all that was said. But if it does, take it to your dealership and they'll change out the windshield and re-seal it for free.

14. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

can you link both tsb's, thanks

15. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
  16. Feb 4, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    thank you sir

17. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    visualsky

visualsky New Member

Member:
    Mark C.

Thanks for the TSB. I've been complaining about the blower noise in my 2009 Double cab and the Toy dealer is playing deaf, telling me they don't hear anything. :eek:

I am goining back to the dealer with the TSB and make them change the blower out.

BTW, I just had the firmware reflash. After breaking to slow the truck down, I noticed a delay when I push down the gas paddle. The engine whines for a few seconds before the gear catches. The dealer reflash the firmware and the truck now seems to respond much better.

John

18. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    Ur Welcome...and good luck! Hit 'em over the head with each TSB....get them to do one and while they have the thing apart, do the other! I would think it would be easier for them and you to get both of them done at the same visit!

19. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    Mark C.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    Ur Welcome too! Good luck with getting the stuff fixed!

20. Feb 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    gbcrewds

gbcrewds [OP] Member

Member:
    Got the TSB done today at no charge, no more noise from the vents.

thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top