1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hom many are worried with Toyota's Reputation??!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jreaka13, Feb 1, 2010.

?

Are you concerned about Toyotas Reputation??

Poll closed Mar 3, 2010.
  1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. No

677 vote(s)
    72.9%
  3. Unsure

78 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Other...

7 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Jreaka13

Jreaka13 [OP] COLORADO!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma extended bed Sport
    Everything that i have done so starting first with the shell, westin sportsman front grill,PIAA fog lights, westin rear light guards, dee-zee side steps, Nice upgradred rims and tires, dvd player,12 inch sub, Halo headlights, K&n Cold air intake, bed mat......
    Are you concerned with Toyota??? I have always been a Jeep Guy until i bought my tacoma!! Are you Concerned whats gonna happen to there name?? ( I just hope they take care of their problem the correct way!!!) I love my new truck and i will never go back to a jeep. Just curious if anybody else is worried about their reputation

2. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I thought they found the problem and are correcting it ? I was a hardcore Nissan guy before but I don't think I'm going back.

3. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Not at all worried. They had a problem and are fixing it as quickly as possible. These trucks should still last years over other companies

4. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    kanelakos

kanelakos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 DC LB Sport
    Resale value of vehicles has alot to do with the demand for them. If Toyota reputation takes a big hit, the demand for them will go down and with it, resale value. Unfortunately, Toyota is trying to produce too many too fast. Quality is going to suffer. (transmission TBS, Spring TBS ect) I saw an interview on cable news yesterday and they interviewed a young woman who had leased a Camry. She says she has lost faith in Toyota and would not buy again and the anchors just seemed to agree with her opinions.

5. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    all i have ever heard about toyota are good things. i have a 98 and (knock on wood) i have never replaced anything but maintnence things and i have right at 170,000 miles on mine

6. Feb 1, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    I'm concerned with my own hahahahah. I've heard quite a few lines over the past few days. Funny story: there was an older man in Hamilton who was in his 08' tacoma in the driveway, pedal stuck he went thru the garage and his old lady. Easy way out i guess

7. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    There is no perfect car company. The issues with Toyota are not electrical, mechanical or inadequate products. They simply made the gas accelerator pedal too long that it interferes with the drivers floor mat. They already issued a warning to take out the mats as a temporary fix. If you choose not to take out the floor mat than that is your choice. The permanent fix is around the corner and they are addressing it. Yes, it's a set back, but the media in my opinion is blowing it out of proportion. The media after all doesn't tell you how to think BUT rather what to think about. Of course they will air any customer saying I will never buy another Toyota again because that will go contrary to most peoples belief. Well that's absurd. IMO, your still better off driving a Toyota than most American manufacturers even though I believe they are doing better and more now than ever before. That's also a reaction to Toyota's success. So what if they are number two. So what if they are the second safest car manufacturer. So what if they have had mistakes. They improve from them. The "new" brake/gas pedal at the same time cutting off power to the vehicle is a huge safety measure that no other manufacturer has. Therefore, Ford and other companies will probably do that now since Toyota has once again set the standard.
    There... my two cents.

8. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    Toyota will take care of the problem.
    I'm on a RAV4 forum also and they are all freaking out......:eek:
    The REAL problem is with ALL new cars. The more electronics they add the MORE problems...PERIOD!

Yuma Taco,

9. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    Switek

Switek Active Member

Member:
    Pelham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD SPORT
    Kenwood DNX5120 Headunit, 12" Kicker sub, Alpine amps, Polk db in all 4 doors, Grillcraft grille, Aires bullbar, PIAA lighting, HID heads and fogs, Circuit boss by Painless Performance, BHLM, Access LE Tonneau
    X2

10. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I'm into my truck now for better or worse.. at this point there's no out for me anymore - too much invested in it. So far I've been very happy with mine :) Best truck I have ever owned.. hands down. I've had Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, etc.. my 88 Toyota 22RE was impressive so that's a close call there but think I'd still choose my '07 over it, maybe??

Am I missing something... I mean what's the big deal here.. they used a bad part. Since they have considerable overlap in parts between lines it affected a lot of vehicles. In the end it's just a bad part and they're offering to make good and fix the situation.

Sure, I get that the resale value may be impacted. I guess that it will be. But it'll still beat Ford and Chevy and definitely Jeep in terms of retained resale value. Besides, you don't buy a new vehicle as an investment like you do real-estate. And Toyota still has an attractive TCO (total cost of ownership) that can't be touched.

Also, I know some people may have died or certainly been hurt by these defective accelerator pedals and that is sad and tragic. Still, it's nothing worse then any other manufacturer has had happen.. even Jack in the Box killed 7 people from using tainted beef some years back.

Anyway, that's my perspective on it.

11. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    I was Nissan till my Nissan had so many problems I vowed to never go back, it same will be with this Toyota, if it plagues me I will ditch it and look else ware for a vehicle.

12. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    no worries

13. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift

The brackets were made in Mississauga ontario. Condensation siezes them. Toyota has come clean. Floor mats has been squashed

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/toyota-gas-pedal-fix-explained-with-exclusive-photos/

14. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    Joe Taco

Joe Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma PreRunner TRD OR
    Purchased truck on 1/3/10
    I just bought it a month ago. My only wish was this would have happened before I bought it..so I could get the better interest rate or a better deal because of it.

15. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I think there will be some backlash from all of this. Look at how Firestone tire failures helped bring down the Ford Explorer and for some of the older folks, the Suzuki Samarai shown rolling over at slow speeds brought that down. Both vehicles were at the top of there segment when those failures happened. Bottom line is bad PR is bad for business. Sure Toyota is trying to fix the problem, but their sterling image is tarnished and there will be some who turn to Honda, Hyundai or some other brand. Toyota is not what it used to be, but still light years ahead of Ford GM and Chrysler.

16. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    One of the reasons Toyota has had a good rep for quality is that they use a limited number of suppliers. The downside to that is when a rare problem shows up, it affects a larger number of vehicles. If this recall only involved one or two models, it would barely be a blip on the media radar. Unfortunately, this is not the case with the gas pedal recall. In the end, Toyota will be fine. All car companies have recalls and even though this is a bad one, months from now it will just be a memory. Hardly anybody talks about Ford's brake switch recall that affected over 14 million vehicles. In fact Ford had a pretty good year in a bad economy actually turning a profit. JMO.

17. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    No not worried at all.

18. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    Jones'R

Jones'R My

Member:
    Niagara Falls
    Vehicle:
    08' SR5
    3" Lift
    Do you know much they've lost. Just shutting a plant down is millions. And if its unionized, even worse. You paying all overhead plus 60-70% wage for not even having the employees present. Not to mention the stop of sales when they pull the cars right off the lot. Toyotas gonna have the taste of you know what in their mouth for a while

19. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    SilverMac

SilverMac Mine's the silver one...

Member:
    Keller, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner DC SR5
    Not worried at all. I have had no issues with mine, and I plan to drive it until it has no resale value anyway. If Toyota's reputation tanks, it's no skin off my nose... I don't work for them, and they don't pay me. I bought it, because I thought it would last the longest... I still think it will.

20. Feb 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    Not Worried at All!!!
    I have more faith in Toyota now, because they are not relying or asking Obama Motors to bail them out of a problem! They are fixing it themselves.
    Thank you Toyota

Products Discussed in

To Top