Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

wow. the lady at toyo parts counter wouldnt sell me crush washers for....

Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
wow. the lady at toyo parts counter wouldnt sell me crush washers for....

front, rear diffs and transfer case. she looked at some chart on the wall, and told me those wont need any attention until 100k miles. i asked, "even if towing?"
"nope"
"4 wheeling?"
"nope"
"water crossings?"
"nope!"

she said for me to talk to a service manager first...WTF? he had about 40 people picking vehicles up, so i just left. i just verified with my maintenence manual...with anything but casual street use,,change diff oil....damn.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
dog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to alldog tired is a name known to all

Army: Infantry
dog tired's Tacoma Gallery
Where do they get these people that work service. You want to buy she should sell .
Old 02-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine at 15K and reused the washers. 1.5K and no leaks. Parts people should stick to dispensing parts and not giving wrong maintenence info!
Give her boss a heads up that she should stop being so helpful. She was probably too lazy to look them up.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need new washers. I've reused mine the last 4 times without issue, coming up on #5 soon.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianr View Post
I'd go back and say "who's the fucking customer here, fucker" "sell me some shit".
I'm sure that'd go over well
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Big Body LX has a spectacular aura aboutBig Body LX has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
Big Body LX's Tacoma Gallery
Strange that she wouldn't sell them to you... seems that they'd want to make all the money they could in this economy
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
the washers arent actually crush washers they are solid brass and can be reused(as long as they are flat, no scratches). my last truck had 120k and i reused the washers prolly 5 or 6 times.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
I'm sure that'd go over well

fuck em if they dont like..I'm the fucking customer.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
beetlejuice2275 will become famous soon enough

Name: Reximus
beetlejuice2275's Tacoma Gallery
she didn't want to waste time doing your $3 sale.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #10

Go back and walk straight to the parts manager and tell him/her what happened and that you're going to write a letter to corporate about what she told you.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice2275 View Post
she didn't want to waste time doing your $3 sale.
Yep $3 on a $0.02 part isn't enough of a profit margin
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
lol some of them are idiots.

I love going to the auto parts store and confusing them. I used to run colder spark plugs in my turbo honda accord I had before the taco and would put NGK BKR7E spark plugs in it. I would go in and ask specifically for those plugs and they would look at me confused and ask the year, make, and model. I'm like no...just lookup the mfg part cross reference in the system and go get them off the shelf.

We would also confuse them a lot when asking for parts for my buddy's sr20det powered 240sx with 300zx brakes. It would go something like this.."I need brake rotors and pads for a 94 nissan 300zx TT, I need x part for a 91 nissan sentra Se-R, and X part for a 90 nissan 240sx.." then came the blank stare and utter confusion.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #13

i know how they work. they just didn't feel like getting it for you at the moment or it was too busy at the time so by telling you to ask the service manager would give her some time.

I hate that.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yes, six new brass washers..less than $20 probably.

my wife said she will get them for me tomorrow. save the lady some headache. i didnt know i could reuse them. thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
on a side note...local toyo independent mechanic quoted me $115 to change all three for me. dino oil. not bad, IMO. but i'm gonna go full synthetic, so it is DIY. looks easy enough.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
on a side note...local toyo independent mechanic quoted me $115 to change all three for me. dino oil. not bad, IMO. but i'm gonna go full synthetic, so it is DIY. looks easy enough.
get a little hand pump for quart size gear oil container for the front diff. youll need it...well itll make your life way easier
Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #17
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
The only hard part is breaking the fill and drain plug loose.
Great tip, best to know before you drain. My friend Nate who has a shop did that for me because I knew I would never ever be able to get them loose from the factory if the guys were having a hard time.
BrianR and Chris did a great DIY write up.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 AM   #18
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
What tip Judy? The "make sure you can fill it before you drain it tip"?
yeah that's the one Rich, that's the one!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 AM   #19
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog tired View Post
Where do they get these people that work service. You want to buy she should sell .
WalMart? Formerly sold Yugos? Perhaps she used to work at Victoria's Secret.........selling nothing....or perhaps warm fuzzies?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
get a little hand pump for quart size gear oil container for the front diff. youll need it...well itll make your life way easier

Agreed. I have one that screws on the top of a mobil 1 motor oil quart container perfectly. Makes life a lot easier pumping into fill plugs. It was a necessity filling the tranny on my old honda accord. There was no way to fill from above.

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/P...456&click=1014

you can buy them at most auto parts stores. I bought mine at advance auto parts a long time ago.