1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taking my truck to the dealer today...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blackwatertaco, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Well im gonna take my truck to the dealer today after work to get my rear TSB leaf spring done. Is their any other TSB's that are out while my truck is in...And also, What if my dealer won't do it??? what do I need to bring to prove it to them.

2. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah make sure you take some kind of paperwork with you. I have been hearing that its been getting harder and harder for people to get this TSB done to their trucks.:eek:

3. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Show them where the bump stops are hitting when you have weight in the back.

4. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Yes, check the tail-shaft on the tranny (auto). Mine had a few spots, but no major drips. There is a Transmission TSB out that replaces the single edged seal with a double edged seal. My dealer looked it up, ordered the parts and had me come back a week later.

5. Feb 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Ok I checked the search feature under TSB, LOL a whole lotta crap came up, Dose anybody know a link I can print out to show the dealer???

6. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.

7. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    never mind, I found it...

8. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Are you actually experiencing any of the tsb's?:confused:

9. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    yeah he is. He needs the TSB AAL done because his leaf pack squeaks and also he hauls a lot of crap around in the back.

10. Feb 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    Yes yes I am, It also bottomed out on me when I was towing my Mustang.

11. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wish I would have know about the tsb years ago. I had the same problem and ended up putting a aal in to correct it on my 07.

12. Feb 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    lucky

lucky Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunnerX4
    While at the dealer, ask them about your oil pump...

Did you know that Toyota has documented cases of the oil pump being faulty in the 4.0L 1GRFE? How do I know? I’m one of them. The outcome…engine damage.

I first took my truck to the dealership because it was making a noise that sounded like a bad pulley or slipping drive belt. They thought the same and replaced those parts for $325. Minutes after I left the dealership, the sound returned but louder. Took it back to dealership.

Next they thought it was the VVT module on the drivers side of the engine. They were not sure because the engine ECU was not giving fault/error codes or warning indicators. They had me listen to each side of the engine by placing a long flat-blade screwdriver against the head and put my ear to the handle. It did sound like the driver’s side was considerably different than the passenger side. They proceeded to disassemble the top half of the engine and remove the timing cover.

Once they were in, they found stretched timing chain, damaged timing gear, worn chain tensioners, and dark burned oil residue on all internal surfaces and valve train components on the driver side of the engine. The passenger side was pristine. Still not sure of the problem, dealership opened a case with Toyota Corporate.

Toyota responded that the issue was known and documented as a faulty oil pump on the 4.0L 1GRFE engine. They stated that although the oil pump was still circulating oil, it was not delivering enough oil to the drivers side of the engine as described by known cases from Toyota corporate. As a result, lack of lubrication generated excessive heat and resistance to the moving parts on the driver side of the engine. Because of this strain and resistance, the timing chain, tensioner, timing gear, and VVT module were damaged and needed to be replaced. A new oil pump was also required.

Cost to repair, $2700. I was concerned so I opted to not make a decision on the reported diagnosis and recommended repairs at that time and sought second opinions from independent mechanics. All mechanics I consulted reported that if the strain and resistance on the drivers side of the engine was enough to stretch the timing chain, damage the timing gear, tensioners, and VVT module, while coupled with visible evidence of burned oil residue, additional damage was done to the engine that was not being addressed or acknowledged by Toyota. Lots of other moving parts in there – a couple cams, the head, etc… I asked the dealership the cost to replace the entire engine, I was verbally quoted $7000.

I requested that Toyota take a closer look at this situation. At this time I expressed that this may be a manufacturing defect or a bad run of oil pumps. Toyota’s are known to run thousands of miles when maintained properly. I knew my Tacoma had been maintained well above what the average owner would do. I was given the Toyota Customer Service 1-800 number to escalate my concerns. To date, Toyota has done nothing about the issue and has said its between me and the dealership.

Unfortunately, this issue is not detectable until it is too late. According to the service staff, the oil pump was still delivering some oil to the drivers side of the engine, just not enough. The drivers side valve train is the farthest location from the oil pump routing of oil. There were no warning lights or indications of excessive heat or lack oil pressure detected by sensors on the engine. However, with the engine disassembled, the signs of excessive heat and wear are clearly identifiable by the damaged parts and discoloration of components and surfaces. My Tacoma has 86K miles on it. I have meticulously performed my own oil changes with Mobile1 Synthetic Oil at the prescribed 5000 mile interval.

Upon review of the scheduled maintenance tasks outlined in the owner’s manual, I found there was no item that called for inspecting the oil pump during any scheduled service from 0 to 125K miles. I verified the scheduled maintenance tasks at each service interval on the Toyota website. Oil pump inspection is not there. Nor are there any indicators that oil is not being sufficiently routed to all areas of the engine until severe internal engine damage is occurring.

If you are an owner of a Toyota vehicle that has the 4.0L 1GRFE engine, be very careful. Any sounds coming from your engine that resemble a screeching pulley or slipping drive belt should be checked out as soon as possible. Based on my experience, I recommend you immediately turn off your engine and have it towed to the location where you will have it examined.

If you have exercised your right to perform your own oil changes, I recommend you have good records of that maintenance. Even if you are under the 50K miles for normal drivetrain warranty, you may be required to produce maintenance history in order to make a warranty claim. The same would apply for extended warranty claims. Out of warranty, usually means out of luck.

If you or anyone you know has experienced similar issues with their 4.0L 1GRFE, please contact Toyota using their 1-800 number or online form.

13. Feb 3, 2010 at 3:31 AM
    blackwatertaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
  14. Feb 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    With all the toyota acceleration complaints this stuff must be a real pain for them to be dealing with also

Products Discussed in

To Top