1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sounds like a bad Pulley - Wish it was

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lucky, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    lucky

lucky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunnerX4
    I never got around to taking the engine down and having a look around - too many other little projects and hobbys. As a coinicidence, I'm selling the damn thing today, for basically the price of scrap metal to get it out of my garage. I bought a 77 FJ-40 a couple weeks ago that has all my hobby/project $$ focus. If for some reason the sale doesnt go through later this morning, I will absolutely take it apart and be posting the parts on TW. Heads, block, cams, oil pan, front timing cover, intake, fuel rail, flywheel, etc.. etc..

2. Oct 28, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    lucky

lucky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunnerX4
    Update on the 09 swap... running fine, up to about 75K on the donor engine I put in my 07. It had 1200 miles on it when I bought it... Truck is up to 155K.

3. Oct 29, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Was thinking of getting a ford also. Bout the same mpg but a lot more features. Im going to make payments for a while longer then going to the ford dealership.

4. Nov 18, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    Nathan88

Nathan88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    DoubleDin Pioneer P3200 dvd headunit, Big Country chrome side step bars, 25% tint windows, Bak rollbak bed cover.
    I have an 06 4.0 prerunner, I have been noticing when i start the truck up it sounds like the belt/pulley is making a small noise shortly then stops in the morning before i leave work. I just believed it to be from cold/ moist morning start ups on a belt from normal wear. But i also noticed the yesterday a small vibration that felt like maybe it was the driveline? But it too was just very short and almost couldn't notice it. I change my oil at 5k and use a puralator or a mobil filter w/ syn oil. My truck also isn't burning oil either as i perform checks inbetween oil changes. With everyone else having these similar problems i will say it is very concerning and will stay tuned to hear what Toyota and other angencies have to say about this.. one question is when you feel your vibrations, is it a constant vibration?

5. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is an old thread, and I'm not going to re-read the whole thing, but I believe it's only the OP that has had an internal engine failure. It's NOT a widespread problem.

Lot's of threads on here about driveshaft vibration, and front diff vibrations also.

I think in the three years that I've had my truck and been reading this board, I've only seen mention of three or four engine failures for the 4.0 V6. I think Lucky's was the only one under 100K miles.

It's winter, the temps just dropped, you most likely have a squeaking serpentine belt. I'd recommend changing that out and check all the pullies and accessories on the front of the engine while you have the belt off.

One other thing to note is that the OP stated he only drove 30 miles from the time he first heard the noise till the engine was undeniably in trouble.

6. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    OP if you don't mind adding your info to the "Engine failure thread" it would be appreciated. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...ad-major-failure-1grfe-v-6-a.html#post6048565

That's your opinion not even close to a fact. In my opinion I bet there's hundreds of failures out there.

I know of 2 failures that never made it onto this board and that's just the guys I know. I'm sure there are far more failures then we all know of.

Oh and BTW.... my truck has 89k on it and it's fubar so know you know of 2 with less then 100k on them.

7. Nov 27, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's

Holy shit man that sucks. I am right at about 89k myself.

8. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    You got my number so if you get any weird noises hit me up. I'm sure you will be fine though. 'Seems' like isolated instances, but we will see when people start posting up their issues.

9. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I disagree but i could be wrong. It looks to me that there was just enough oul to mist the area covering the area in question with a thin film of oil that did carbonize. As you can see the dark areas are where the chain would run. you can also see the two disting areas where each side (up & down) of the chain was running and where the pully was it would fling of more oil.

But as was pointed out before -- a PAO should not burn at normal engine temps but keep in mind that there were above normal operating temps in that area since there was not enough oil to remove the heat. That area is pretty damn close to where the exaust runs.

10. Nov 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Wow. Not sure what I did to piss you off...... I've burned up an engine before, so I know how it feels to be out a lot of money for repairs. But I'm getting tired of posting on this board trying to help random strangers, and then getting yelled at. Might have to take a break from that. Nathan88, make sure you post up what happens with your's. A few guys having problems with their trucks go on the interwebs to talk about it, suddenly it seems like every one of them has a design defect. There's also a lot of guys on here with sqeaky idler pulleys and serpentine belts. Definitely no reason to panic until it's all checked out and diagnosed.

11. Feb 1, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    NM Lance

NM Lance Well-Known Member

Member:
    Old thread, I know... Was this issue ever resolved by Toyota?

Does this affect the newer 2nd gens (2012+)? Mine has a knock upon cold starting it (4.0). It sounds like it is running too lean, but it is very hard to diagnose by ear.

12. Sep 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    jross20

jross20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    Curious if this can effect 2011's? I had actually thought about having the oil pump replaced just for the heck of it.

clinteastside likes this.
  13. Nov 29, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    justinsimpson773

justinsimpson773 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2008 tacoma 4wd 4.0l 6spd black Access cab
    Bilstein 5100 lift, old man emu springs. New frame from yota (yayyy), 17' alloy wheels with 33s mud terrains. Spidertraxx 1.25 spacers on all 4. 85k miles and going up.
    Not to revive an old thread, but the exact same thing happened to me, been reading ion TW for a while but I had to make an account now to share this. I have a 2008 Tacoma access cab. 85,000 miles. New frame from Toyota, new clutch 20k ago, always changed oil with mobile 1 synthetic and mobile 1 filter. 3 days before the engine blew, I started to hear this faint whirring/whistling sound. No low oil pressure light. Check engine light was already on for o2 sensor. Drove it for 3 days like that. Then motor just gave out, would barley run and made this terrible sound that sounded like a squeak. Dropped the pan and it’s full of metal and the oil is mixed with so much brass (engine bearing). Grayish color. Removed filter and it’s perfect oil so pump wasn’t even getting to the filter. So motors trashed. Not really asking for y’all to feel bad or for input. Just thought since the exact same thing happened to me I’d share. Thanks :)

clinteastside likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top