LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinion on Cut Off Exhaust . OK or NOT?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Question Opinion on Cut Off Exhaust . OK or NOT?

Hey Guys,
I am looking at buying a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Off Road package. It has 87200 miles on it and is an automatic transmission.
The dealer is asking $18,999 for it and I got them to offer to sell it to me for $16,500.
The question I have is that it has an exhaust system that the previous owner cut short very near the muffler. Is this something I should ask the dealer to repair back to normal? Should I worry about exhaust fumes getting into the cabin?
Also, this truck has been in an accident according to Carfax. Is $16500 a good price? Or should offer them less and tell them to fix the Exhaust?

I figured this group of people would know best, so I am hoping your experience can help me make a decision. This would be the first truck I have ever bought.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of us have custom piping done with our exhausts...chopping the pipe and dumping it over the axle is actually quite common...I did it aswell. No fumes get into my cab and i'm very happy with this set up...it doesn't get hung up when i'm out wheelin
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and I notice that your new here so...
Welcome to TW!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
dont buy a vehicle that was in an accident. look elsewhere.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Alot of us have custom piping done with our exhausts...chopping the pipe and dumping it over the axle is actually quite common...I did it aswell. No fumes get into my cab and i'm very happy with this set up...it doesn't get hung up when i'm out wheelin
I also have my exhaust dumped after the axel. Absolutely no problems.

Looks much cleaner too from the back too.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
headhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedheadhunter247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

headhunter247's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I also have my exhaust dumped after the axel. Absolutely no problems.

Looks much cleaner too from the back too.
Do you have pics?

Disregard, I didnt look in your gallery.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
what type of wreck was it in? I would'nt worry about the exhaust being cut, dose it have a stock muffler?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to the TW!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
imo, that 16,500 seems like alot for a vehicle being in an accident.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
I would ask that they replace the exhaust. California frowns on the exhaust being changed at all, I would use that as a reason for them to fix it. Worth a try. What does KBB say the trade in value of that truck was, that will give you an idea of what they paid for it.
Any clue as how much damage was done?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
x2
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3Tacos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
x2
Paranoid much? It could have been a simple fender bender.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
Toymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to beholdToymaker is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Vet
Toymaker's Tacoma Gallery
Working with the information that you've given, $16,500.00 is actually $175.00 below Black Book retail value for that truck in rough condition with that mileage. You've already done quite well in talking them down to the right price. Tacomas have a relatively high resale value so certain prices aren't unusual.

Being in an accident could mean anything from a fender bender to an extensive rebuild. IMO, if you really want the truck, you should have an independent body repairman check it out to determine the extent of repair for you.

As far as the exhaust goes, i don't know what CA laws are but contingent upon sale, i'd think that the exhaust would have to be in a condition in which it will pass inspection if necessary.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Paranoid much? It could have been a simple fender bender.
not paranoid,this was a small fender bender.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
not paranoid,this was a small fender bender.
That looks like more than a fender bender.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
Banned
taco man31 has a spectacular aura abouttaco man31 has a spectacular aura abouttaco man31 has a spectacular aura about
taco man31's Tacoma Gallery
never buy a vehicle that you know has had an accident. If i bought one that was in an accident but i didnt know that at the time when i bought it, i wouldnt go selling it because of that but i would never buy one knowing that it was in one.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Thanks for the info guys. In answer to some of your questions to help me answer mine......
I don't know the details of the accident. This truck is at a dealership and has had two owners. The accident occurred with the first owner. The only thing I know is what the Car-fax report says:

"09/01/2008 California
Police Report Accident reported
in Thousand Oaks, CA
Involving side impact
with another motor vehicle
Involving right side impact"

As far as the tail pipe, it seems that those of you that have cut the tail pipe short say you cut it so it dumps out after the back axel, this one was cut really short. It looks like the factory muffler is still there (though I am not really sure what the factory muffler looks like) but it is cut very soon after that. The exhaust pipe ends underneath the back seats! I am planning on doing off roading with this truck, so what you say about it not getting caught up makes sense, but this one seems exceedingly short. The tail pipe comes no where near the rear axel.
I really wish that I had brought a camera with me on the test drive.
You are right about Tacomas tending to keep there value, but it seems that most people and car lots seem to be asking THOUSANDS of dollars ABOVE what KBB says these trucks should be worth, so when I found one that is closer to KBB, I started thinking "this may be the one"
I normally wouldn't even consider buying a truck that has been in an accident, but I am growing tired of looking at trucks that are overpriced.

Thanks so much for your input. It seems so far that half of you say I should get it and half say I should move on to the next one.