1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seems like everybody is looking for these!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tieman411, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mar 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    tieman411

tieman411 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD PreRunner SR5
    6" Fabtech with Coilovers, Dirt Logics 2.0 in the rear.
    Steering Stablizers:D:D:D:D:DGot them today and man what a difference very happy with them. :D I posted some pics

2. Mar 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    More info?? WHat brand, what kind, where did you get them? How did you install them? etc etc etc.

Here, I'll post the link to your picture....
    [​IMG]

3. Apr 1, 2008 at 12:37 AM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    A little more info, please. I had a stablizer on my old 4x4 s-10 (steering gear box). Until your pic, I did not know if rack and pin steering could use them.

4. Apr 1, 2008 at 7:45 AM
    RedruM29

RedruM29 Blinking Car Mod...

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Nor☆Cal
    Vehicle:
    08 trd sport 4x4
    Just enough, and never enough
    what he said plus price

5. Apr 1, 2008 at 8:09 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    hmmmm.... never even thought I needed these... This truck handles and steers better than my car.

6. Apr 1, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i feel like i need them after i got my 5100's installed. my steering wheel seems to "wander" more now and i have to constantly correct to keep it in the lane. will this help out with taht problem?

7. Apr 1, 2008 at 9:19 AM
    tieman411

tieman411 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD PreRunner SR5
    Alright Boyz here is the deal-o there are made by FABTECH there not really out yet but coming soon!! There not even on the website nor you will find them on google!
    If you are running 33 inch tires or an aggressive tire that grabs the ruts in the road you truck wonders and don't tell me it doesn't because its f-ing does I hate it!!!!!!! All I can say is IT WORKS REALLY WELL. I had some friends that worked at Fabtech and they hooked me up Not sure what the retail price is I think like 350.00 installed kinda of expensive but worth it.

See my pics and there is more pics

8. Apr 1, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    05TacomaPreRunner

05TacomaPreRunner Southern Alliance: Lil One

Member:
    Orlando, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Still looking for perfect Tacoma
    Ndcouch, your wheels need to be aligned. It messes up the angle after you change the size of the tire.

9. Apr 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    Nah, mine were aligned and I have the same issue. My 285/75/16 Baha Radials are wide and aggressive to where they grip everything on the road. I know this is the case cause on a newly paved road, seems as if perfect. Once I ride on an old road, or mostly, cheaply paved military roads, I need to maintain the steering wheel. But, other than that it handles great...

10. Apr 1, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    One question... Do the Fabtech lifts that are made for the Tacoma have this as part of the system. I'm really interested in getting that lift in due time.

11. Apr 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I doubt the steering stabilizers will help... Steering stabilizers = shock. It's the same thing as a shock absorber. It's only effective when the wheels are jerked to one side or the other. Same as shock on the rear of your truck dampens the rear when you go over a bump.

The *wandering* issue you have is probably related to allignment.

LIft kits will always require a slightly different allignment spec than a stock vehicle. If you take it to the dealership - they'll allign it to 'stock' specs and that won't necessarily help.

If I had to guess - you probably need a bit more caster and different toe settings.

12. Apr 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    tieman411

tieman411 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD PreRunner SR5
    Sorry bud but your wrong! When you put agressvie tires say 33inch Toyo MT they will grab the grooves in the rode and your truck will wander, you can actually watch the steering wheel going to the left then right rapidly, then on smooth highway there is no problem.. Your right When you lift your truck with a 6 inch lift then put 33" tires on it you would NEVER set your alignment to a stock OEM setting it would be off majorly. I did these stabilizer's and I can't believe how much better and soild the steering feels. I got hooked up and only paid 236.00 Installed, but i would of paid 500 to fix this problem.

13. Apr 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    First of all....he's a she, Janster.

Second, alignment is EVERYTHING! If you have too much or too little toe and/or caster your truck will wander with stock tires. It is greatly magnified with larger tires.
    Stabilizers only mask the problem, they may help off-road, but if you are wondering all the time, time to check alignment.

Third, when you lift your truck, you need to set your alignment back to STOCK settings, as that is the best ride. If you don't set them back to stock settings, then what the heck are you setting it to? Just some random numbers???? I'd love to see what would happen if you went to get your truck aligned at a shop and said "don't align it to stock, it will be majorly off"

The best bet for anybody to get back to stock alignment specs is by adding UCA's, which will greatly help with getting the caster within specs.

For the record, running 285/70/17 BFG MT's, truck tracks straight as an arrow and CO has some of the worst roads/highways due to the harsh winters

14. Apr 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM
    tieman411

tieman411 [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD PreRunner SR5
    Brandnew 2008 truck, New rims, new tires, New Lift, and it was
    professionally aligned once when they were done lifting it and again for the re-torque after 500 miles. Trust me anyone on this sight with a LIFTED truck and has oversize MT tires knows what I am talking about, your truck is stock 285/70/17 thats stock!!!!!!! I am running 33x12.5.18 Sorry there pumpkin but you have know have no idea what's happening here. I dont work for fabtech so i dont care who buys them. I know what is was like previous to have them and know its fixed. I never said my truck didn't drive straight!

15. Apr 1, 2008 at 11:54 PM
    L8Rmike

L8Rmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC LB 4x4 sport
    Is there a shock mounted on both sides or just what we see from the pic?

16. Apr 2, 2008 at 12:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    It's all about the allignment.... A steering stabilizer is a bandaid to mask another problem. I'm not doubting the product. It's actually pretty neat... For $350? That's WAY overpriced. What exactly is in the kit?

I've dealt with my share of larger Mud Terrain tires on the roads and I've dealt with my share of fine tuning & drivability issues.....mostly on a solid front axle Jeep - but I did have 32" tires on my 96 tacoma and never had 'wandering issues'. My 96 was alligned using a Rancho allignment spec for their 1.5" lift kits they sold back then (2000). I don't even know if they still have that kit or have those specs floating around. Lots of tacoma guys would use those specs to allign their trucks.....

17. Apr 2, 2008 at 6:37 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i got an alignment after i got the new tires and the lift put on.

funny you should mention the caster.... when i took it to get aligned after the tires and shocks were put on, the guy from teh shop came in and said he wanted to show me something. he had a little display up with camber, caster, toe all that with either a green line or red line. everything was green except for the caster. he told me that green means its in spec and is good to go but red is out of spec. he said with my shocks he could get everything green except for the caster, which was just barely in the red. he said he could get it in the green but only by putting the camber in the red. i asked him if it woudl affect ride or tire wear and he said no, it should be fine. i took him for his word cause this is one of the more reputable shops in the area. so you think this slight offset in caster is what's messin me up?

not familiar with UCA's.... whats that?

edit: nevermind. i forgot Bob in all his wisdom put up a glossery. i looked it up. although i could still use some info on them...

18. Apr 2, 2008 at 7:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I wonder what the *green* means in terms of numbers? And how did the machine know what your stock specifications are supposed to be? Did he punch in your model & year vehicle into the computer?

Here's a site about allignment.
    http://www.familycar.com/Alignment.htm

I'm not all that familiar with IFS *stuff* - but it appears the upper balljoint and lower steering knuckle are what sets your caster and it probably doesn't have that much of a 'swing' in adjustment.

You're probably better off finding other tacoma owners who have the same setup as you (5100's set at same lift). Find out if they having wandering problems and if they have their allignment specs.....

Or - research the UCA's further and how that can improve your caster. It'll all depend on the position of the balljoint ....

19. Apr 2, 2008 at 7:39 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    285/70/17's are not stock. the stock tires on a offroad are 265/70/16's (i think) which are under 31"s tall. his 285/70/17's are classified as 33x11.5x17's....and if u run ur cursor over the "4x4 trf off-road" under his info, u'll see that truck is far from stock...just fyi

20. Apr 2, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    i know dropping the differential will help withthe CV angles, but will that help with the alignment (caster, camber etc...)? i think i need to do it either way, i just know it helps with the extreme CV angles after a lift, does it help with anything else?

Products Discussed in

To Top