half ton really?

Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Bigjoe311
BigJoe311 will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
BigJoe311's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BigJoe311
half ton really?

I know the tacoma are half ton pickups......but i've recent torn out a lot of cast iron pipe and wanan make a trip to the junk yard. i have about 1000lbs of pipe......i kno what my manual says but i will be staying under 25 mph and easy turns....i have a 2006 4x4 v6 4.0l 6 foot bed tacoma.....any tips for how much is too much or harmful to the truck? by looking how low its sitting? or just do you have a number or should i just go by the manual? and not push it.... thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt put that much in my bed. If you have access to a trailer you would be a lot better off. Doesnt the manual say 600 or something?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You could probably haul it in one trip if you have to, just keep and eye on the bump stops when loading up. If you're close to sitting on them, then thats too much weight and do 2 trips.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Bigjoe311
thanks guys not sure how it the scale at scrap yard will fit my truck and trailer. but what are the bump stops?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
the plastic blocks in the middle of your leaf springs that will hit your frame if you get too close to bottoming out
Old 02-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
JBTuncc is on a distinguished road
Name: John
JBTuncc's Tacoma Gallery
I had 100 gallons of paint in the bed of my Tacoma and it did great. It scared me the whole time but it took it like a champ. Without the TSB. That's right at 1000 pounds btw.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe311 View Post
I know the tacoma are half ton pickups......
I didn't know that, and certainly wouldn't put it up there with Dodge, Chevy, or Ford in the 1/2 ton classification with regards to load capacity.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
I compared the towing and payload specs for my 09 Taco to my old 97 F-150 and they were close enough that you would conclude they were both in the same class.

So yeah, I would say that a new Taco is basically what an old 1/2 ton would be. A new 1/2 ton is way more truck. They are probabaly what an old 1 ton would be. A new 1 ton is just plain ridiculous for what most people "need".
Old 02-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think that 1000 lbs. is too much, I have had a heavy yard of mulch on mine, and a half yard of rock. No problems, just drive slow.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
I compared the towing and payload specs for my 09 Taco to my old 97 F-150 and they were close enough that you would conclude they were both in the same class.

So yeah, I would say that a new Taco is basically what an old 1/2 ton would be. A new 1/2 ton is way more truck. They are probabaly what an old 1 ton would be. A new 1 ton is just plain ridiculous for what most people "need".
Exactly. "1/2 ton" is now "mid size" and "1 ton" is now fullsize. Most "half tons" now have payload capacities close to 2000lbs, some of them more than that. Compare the current taco to any full size truck from the early to mid 90s. They're the same size vehicle.

New "full size" pickup sizes are a combination of vehicle size creep (fatass America) and the chronic dick-size insecurity that plagues many pickup owners.

And I've hauled 1000lbs of tons of stuff in my taco...potting soil, mulch, ATVs...you people scared to put 1000lbs in the bed are nuts. The truck can take it just fine...just be aware it will handle differently.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know if you are 4x4, but your payload max is:

prerunner: 1375

4x4: 1260

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

That includes the weight of you and all your stuff, so looks like it could technically do it but you would be maxing it out.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
NMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to allNMG is a name known to all

NMG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
New "full size" pickup sizes are a combination of vehicle size creep (fatass America) and the chronic dick-size insecurity that plagues many pickup owners
Yup, especially the bolded part, LOL
Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Just yesterday my husband looked in the manual for the hauling capacity.... he didn't believe me when I told him it was 1200lbs. He was surprised....

But yeah.... My tacoma is registered as a CLASS II (in PA) which is the same registration that my Dodge Ram had. My 96 tacoma was registered as a CLASS I. The difference (in PA) is the weight. Anything above 5000lbs is considered a CLASS II (and about $40 higher in registration payments ).

I have the TSB springs and I've hauled a full scoop of mulch many times. It handles it like I would expect it to...and I love it!!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Bigjoe311
thanks for the help and the info i thought it was only a quarter ton. and yes its a 4x4. Im guna jsut load and ti up and see if its sitting visably very low and if it starts to i'll make 2 trips only about 2 miles to the yard!!! can't wait i love truckin it up. i hate just driving to work and back this snow pittsburgh got this weekend was GREAT! 22 inch and my truck own'd!!!!!! hit hills hard no problems! glad i bought it only had it for about a month its my first truck. just gota get the pedal recall fixed.....
Old 02-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I've carried 3 loads with the bed full of gravel. Yes, that was TOO MUCH. I was on the bump stops the entire way and the truck handled it just fine (only about 8-10 miles each trip). I would not recommend that but your truck will be absolutely fine with 1,000 lbs in the bed. I've had at least that much several times. Just make sure to change your driving habits while loaded down. Your braking distance is much longer and you really don't want to have to stomp on the brakes with that much back there...
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
09 tacoma trd is on a distinguished road

09 tacoma trd's Tacoma Gallery

it should be fine. i had a lot over that and no problems. just drive slower and have the weight more to the front of the box.