Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

winch selection

Old 02-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
waller24 will become famous soon enough
waller24's Tacoma Gallery
winch selection

i know the 2nd gens are bigger but would a warn 8000 still be sufficient? Its hard for me to justify puting a 9.5 therma on when its not technically a half ton truck.
Also is adding an 80lb winch like this going to require me to get the bilstein 5100's in the front to keep my front end from dropping lower and wearing out frontend and tires?

your thoughts.........
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
im glad you posted this because i am also looking at getting a winch but i cant decide what size to get

subscribed
Old 02-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Check out the winching formula thread to see what the kinda of weight pulling capacity you need.

Do you have a winch capable bumper already?? Cause you need a place to mount it, and the winch. and with all the weight- I would recommend something to compensate for that weight.
i dont know about him but i am looking to get an allpro bumper soon
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
valleythunder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Hydraulic Mech
Name: Rob
valleythunder's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking at a 10 or 12000 lb winch with synthetic line. If you install a winch and a bumper get rid of the stock Toyota suspension junk. I just installed the Toytec group buy Eibach spring/Billy combo with a 1/2" spacer as well. Sittin about 3 1/4" lift in front 3.5" rear from a dakar spring pack with the XL overload leaf. I have a All-Pro winch bumper sitting in the garage that I have only been able to paint this weekend.... snow is about 15" here. I plan on a rear bumper with tire carrier, skids, and heavy duty sliders all from Iron Pig Off-road in Fredericksburg, VA. Running 255/85/16 KM2's that absolutely ROCKED in the snow today.... Pulled downed trees off the road in fresh 15+ inches....
Old 02-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by waller24 View Post
i know the 2nd gens are bigger but would a warn 8000 still be sufficient? Its hard for me to justify puting a 9.5 therma on when its not technically a half ton truck.
Also is adding an 80lb winch like this going to require me to get the bilstein 5100's in the front to keep my front end from dropping lower and wearing out frontend and tires?

your thoughts.........
just so you know, the 5100's wont compensate for more weight, you will need heavier springs such as ome 885's or 886's to keep the front end from sagging
Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
waller24 will become famous soon enough
waller24's Tacoma Gallery
winch

its going on a warn transformer, question is will it sag and is an 8000k sufficient for minor stuckage?
These trucks weigh a little over 4k lbs so with that said a 9k would be good but the 9k's are a bout 11-20 lbs heavier which would create more weight so I want less weight with sufficient performance
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
wornthinbutneverstops
white knight15 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
white knight15's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, Im not new to the site, but this is my first post. I found what I think is a sweet deal on an m10000, but the guy said it got water in it and needs to be rebuilt. How hard is it to rebuild a winch and would I be spending as much in the long run as i would be saving?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Crunchy Taco
blacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
blacktaco21's Tacoma Gallery
8,000 is sufficient. It's always a good idea to get an accessory kit when purchasing a winch because it comes with all necessary winch extraction equipment plus a snatch block which doubles your pulling power. I have a xrc 8 with synthetic line (waiting for my Relentless front bumper!!) and a warn accessory kit which tallies up to 16,000 lbs of pulling power. Anything heavier than that, I don't think the weight would be very good on a tacoma drivetrain/chasis/overall truck. Just my .02 cents!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
We put a warn 9500lb winch on the Jeep Sahara a few years ago and it weighs was less that the Taco does...

Now what is your typical stuckage? Winching out of a high angle ditch from mud is different than the flat sandlands. Here it seems half the winching is at high angles out of deep snow.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktaco21 View Post
8,000 is sufficient. It's always a good idea to get an accessory kit when purchasing a winch because it comes with all necessary winch extraction equipment plus a snatch block which doubles your pulling power. I have a xrc 8 with synthetic line (waiting for my Relentless front bumper!!) and a warn accessory kit which tallies up to 16,000 lbs of pulling power. Anything heavier than that, I don't think the weight would be very good on a tacoma drivetrain/chasis/overall truck. Just my .02 cents!
I like my XRC8 with synthetic rope But the 15,000 Patriot will be handy when saving a Big Ford F350 or Dodge 5500.