1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spray In Bed Liner in Composite bed 2007??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by v1perone, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Apr 2, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    The bed can be sprayed with Line-X. Line-X will adhere to the composite bed with a little extra preparation. My local Line-X has done it to several Tacomas. It looks sweet. But I'm probably never gonna do it. There are other ways I can spend $400.

I am getting my bull bar and nerf steps Line-X'd though. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

2. Apr 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Say PB,
    When I got my grill guard Line-X'd the installer said they can do the bed of our trucks, but hadn't done one and didn't have any pictures.
    IF you happen to spot one and can snap a picture, that would be much appreciated.

3. Apr 2, 2008 at 11:09 PM
    zmtnbik

zmtnbik FMLYHM

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Trd Off-road
    Donahoe (Icon) C/O, TC UCA's, Dakar leafs, BilStein 5125's, 285/70/17 BFG MT KM2's, Raceline Renegade 17x9's, u-bolt flip kit, debadged, TRD CAI, TRD exhaust, URD MAF controller, 20% front window tint, 3M clear bra on bumper, cam locks in all storage compartments, fog light mod, Alpine X100 deck, Co
    To add to this, some of the Line-X and Rhino lining shops will spray the bed, but will not warranty it. The reason being, Toyota used a release agent on the bed when the bed it self was formed, as a result the release agent will cause the sprayed in liner to not adhere as well as if it were a metal bed.
    Last time I talked to Line-x (12 months ago) they said they were working on proper prep techniques to spray the bed and still warranty it, but I could not find anybody locally that would do it. Not to mention the $400 they wanted to do it was a bit steep

4. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:19 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Glass work, something I know a little about from working on boats!
    To get almost any coating to stick to resin or epoxy layups it takes a bit of prep. First the surface has to be roughed up. A wire wheel on a drill will do the job nicely in most cases where the surface isn't flat. After that the surface needs to be washed down with a solvent. Acetone will usually work but Interlux and West Systems make products that are specially designed for this. Then prime and paint. I know the stuff is expensive but I highly recommend using marine grade materials. In the long run if you cut corners and the coating doesn't stick the 20 bucks a pint solvent and 35 a quart primer is cheap compared to having to start over.

5. Apr 3, 2008 at 5:20 AM
    flavalk

flavalk 2-Broke 2-Care

Member:
    Orlando, Florida via Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab 2WD - Short Bed - Automatic- Silver Mica
    Not much. Toyota bed mat, Toyota step bars, tinted windows, Toyota seat covers, Toyota all-weather mats, quart of Wild Turkey in the glove box, KelTec PT3AT in the center console, backseat full of old speeding tickets
    A word of caution when applying any type of coating to plastic! Know what your working with and know how to prep it. Some plastics, polyethylene, polypropylene, and acrylic immediately come to mind, are very difficult to coat. I would recommend a good quality primer specifically intended for plastic such as STIX waterbourn bonding primer. It's an interior/exterior urethane acrylic that bonds very well to MOST plastics and even glass. Bulldog is another primer intended to be used on MOST plastics. It is a clear primer used specifically for plastic car bumpers prior to paint. If I were doing it, I'd go with the STIX. I'm not 100% sure what the composit bed is made of, so I'm reluctant to say how well paint or some other type of coating would stick to it. The surface should be abraded but sanding that bed would be a bitch. That material is hard as a whores heart. I think simply cleaning it well with either alcohol or acetone would be enough. Start with a small area and check for adhesion before commiting the entire bed. I have seen some horrible results from people trying to paint plastic :eek:

6. Apr 3, 2008 at 11:49 AM
    v1perone

v1perone [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Its a work in progress
    An overall Thanks.
    I appreciate all your input and idea's.
    I will keep you informed as to which way I finally go and post pics.
    Thanks again.

7. Apr 3, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    brob1975

brob1975 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab, Long Bed TRD Sport
    Tonneau Cover, All Weather Floor Mats
    My thought would be if it is truly going to be a show truck, then you wouldn't be throwing stuff in the back that would scratch it, so painting the bed may be a good idea. However, if you aren't sure that would work, paint the truck Black :)

8. May 25, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    MAPLENUTS

MAPLENUTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVEN
    East Coast, USA
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT TACOMA 4X4 L/B
    Stock
    I am doing it for looks as well. Go with Herculiner and do it yourself if you are handy. The stuff is onsale at carquest this week and it is made in a few colors too. Just make sure your scuff the surface very well using an orbital sander and a wire rotary tool on the drill and clean the debris in the liner with a cleaner like acetone so everything adheres properly. My bed is scratched up from the last owner, so I want it to look nice.

It is more of a resurfacing for looks than for function, and most may not bother, but it is a matter of preference. :)

Sammy4x4Taco likes this.
  9. May 25, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Ewwwww, that's gonna look terrible. Just put a tonneau cover over it.

10. May 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    PLATNUM

PLATNUM New Member

Member:
    citrus heights ca
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Vehicle Modifications:
    BEDRUG

11. May 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    trdtacoman31

trdtacoman31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Titan Pro4x CC
    I think he might be past this "brilliant" idea by now seeing as though this post is 3 years old!

I was really hoping as I was reading this thread that I was going to see this awesome show truck at the end:rolleyes:

12. May 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    yup! what you see on top is what you'll see underneath. there is no metal bed under the composite bed.

13. May 25, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I love it when a noob revives a 3 year old thread

14. May 25, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    But...but....*looks at watch* I'm still waiting for him to post his pics of the color bedliner here!!!! :(

15. May 25, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    lol.....talk about a let down.....I wonder if the OP got an email saying someone replied to his thread? He must be going "WTF??" I give the newbs credit at least they used the search function :headbang:

16. May 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    Good thing I was never a Newb! :D

17. May 26, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    MAPLENUTS

MAPLENUTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVEN
    East Coast, USA
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT TACOMA 4X4 L/B
    Stock
    No problem. Anything this "noob" can do to accommodate you.
    It may be a old thread, but a new interest to others.

18. May 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    MarAgt

MarAgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lugoff, SC
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma TRD
    Sub'd for future reference...

Products Discussed in

To Top