Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spray In Bed Liner in Composite bed 2007??

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
v1perone is on a distinguished road
v1perone's Tacoma Gallery
Spray In Bed Liner in Composite bed 2007??

Can you use a spray in bed liner(Rhino, LineX, [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Inyati )[/FONT] in the 2007 composite beds? If so which brand?
Any help or idea's would be great.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
2-Broke 2-Care
flavalk is on a distinguished road

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1perone View Post
Can you use a spray in bed liner(Rhino, LineX, [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Inyati )[/FONT] in the 2007 composite beds? If so which brand?
Any help or idea's would be great.
Why would you want to do that? The composite bed is tough as hell. If you need to prevent stuff from sliding around, get a bed mat. Toyota has a good one for about $80 and others are available cheaper than that.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Thanks for the reply but!!!

I am slowly turning it into a show truck and need to have the bed color match the truck color. Can the be liner that is in it be removed? I've gotten so many different answers, I don't know where to turn.
Thanks for your help and suggestions
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
2-Broke 2-Care

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am slowly turning it into a show truck and need to have the bed color match the truck color. Can the be liner that is in it be removed? I've gotten so many different answers, I don't know where to turn.
Thanks for your help and suggestions
If you remove the liner, yer gonna be missing a bed The liner is the bed.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
So Liner can't be removed? Right?

So the liner can't be removed right???
Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So the liner can't be removed right???
It's not a liner. The composite material you see is actually the bed itself. Crawl underneath you truck and you'll see what we mean.

You can Rhino-line just about anything. As for the do-it-yourself stuff, I've had a lot of success with Durabak. Easy to apply and comes in many UV-resistant colors.

If you're just looking to keep things from sliding around, buy the Toyota bed mat.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
I know I'm a newbie and this may be a stupid question but help if you can
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
2-Broke 2-Care

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are no stupid questions (except those regarding oil ) so, ask away! Somebody here will help you out.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Thanks for the input. I'm still lost but I'll figure it out.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No worries. Like I said, crawl under your truck and you'll see what we're talking about.

Since most people install some sort of bedliner in pickups to keep the paint from wearing away and the metal from rusting, Toyota did away with the metal all together. What you see is what you get -- you have a plastic truck bed. (not really plastic, but you get the idea) The fender skins are the only metal back there.

I guess the real question is...what's your question? Will a spray-in/roll-on bedliner stick? Probably, if you scuff up the bed with 40-grit sandpaper first. Most of those products are meant to protect the metal and keep it from rusting, so realize that you'll be rust-proofing something that already can't rust.

If you're doing it for looks, it's your call. If you're doing it to protect the bed, it's a lot of effort for a net-zero gain. If you're tired of stuff sliding around in the bed, the Toyota bed mat is the fastest, cheapest, and easiest route to take.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavalk View Post
There are no stupid questions (except those regarding oil ) so, ask away! Somebody here will help you out.
I'm thinking of switching to synthetic. Is this a good idea?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Thanks, I appreciate your patience. I'm doing it for looks
Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #14

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate your patience. I'm doing it for looks
Then by all means, have at it and post pictures of the finished product!

I noticed you don't have any pictures posted in your gallery. Get some up there so we can follow the progress from stock to show-ready!

And keep your sarcasm detector turned on when cruising these boards. We're really not mean or impatient -- you may just catch us in a snarky mood from time to time.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
No worries... I will get some pics up and I have a thick skin.
This voyage into what seemed a simple project has consumed me... yikes!!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No worries... I will get some pics up and I have a thick skin.
This voyage into what seemed a simple project has consumed me... yikes!!
You're not alone. Check my pics.

Enjoy the descent into madness!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think you got the answer. That's not a bed LINER. That's the BED. It's plastic all the way to the frame. Crawl under your truck to verify.

That being said, sure you could put a spray-on liner on it. But aesthetics is the only reason. You might also want to look into a good paint that works on plastics if it's just looks your after.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Thanks Mjp2 and Sawdust.
I will look into "other" suggested avenue's.
I really appreciate this forum, it has been a godsend into helping me modify my truck.
thanks much
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I agree if it's just looks your after, just get a good plastic paint. Make sure you prep the plastic good though.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #20
CrashTest is on a distinguished road
CrashTest's Tacoma Gallery
1. Prep Plastic
2. Apply desired paint color
3. ???
4. Profit