1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupid question about oil change records

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Switchback, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Switchback

Switchback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    so I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on my truck and am wondering what is needed for my records showing the change. First oil change was done at a quicky lube joint (I know, but was out of town when I needed it) so I have the receipt showing the mileage and what not. but now I just bought oil and the filter at the auto parts store. Do I just need to write down the mileage on that receipt or something? seems way to easy to forge something like that though.

Sorry if this is stupid, but this is the first new car I've ever owned, so things like keeping records to stay under warranty are foreign to me. thanks for any help.

2. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    I don't know what is required officially, but I record the mileage and date on which I changed it, the amount and type of oil I poured in (roughly) and keep the receipt for the filter. I made a table in Excel to keep track of what I do and when. Overkill maybe, but I'm all for having notes to refer to later.

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Usually the owners manual has a place in the back to keep such records.
    If people want to make or break a deal on weather or not you may have forged your oil change and service records perhaps the deal is not worht the effort.

I do it for my own info and to keep track of when I do it.

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    I keep a running maintenance log in which I record the mileage, the date and the cost. Then I usually write a paragraph that explains what I did - basically every time I perform any work on the truck.

As for the receipts - I buy oil by the case (or more), for cars, bikes, power equipment and tractor. I just stack them up in the workshop. If Toyota is ever anal enough to want them, I'll hand them to them and let them sort them out. I do however, always record the maintenance in the Owner's Maintenance book and I initial it myself where it says to put the dealer's stamp. I do not anticipate any problems.

5. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    Switchback

Switchback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    thanks everyone.

6. Feb 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    i use the manual log and as well as the toyota owners website..

i dont really drive it as much and i go by the months and not miles.. most likely ever 6-8 months

7. Feb 7, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Receipts as well as the date/mileage recorded in the Owners Manual Supplement (maintenance log book) should suffice.

There have been instances that Toyota has requested this information when relating to engine or transmission failure. If you have proof that the service has been performed there shouldn't be any issue - but they will ask for it if such a failure occurs - which has been proven by many members here on the forum.

For the record, there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers!

8. Feb 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep receipts for oil/filter, keep a journal of dates of service and service performed, and enter every service into the Toyota Owner's Online site (sign up first).

Products Discussed in

To Top