Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

adding elock diff?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Rich8419 is on a distinguished road
Rich8419's Tacoma Gallery
adding elock diff?

Can the locking diff be added to an I4 prerunner regular cab? If so would it be expensive?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Like the arb locker, its not cheap.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
better find a good deal at a junkyard and do it all urself
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Okay. Originally wanted the 4x4 regular cab i4 but I'm going to be driving a lot more highway miles with my new place. I figured a locking diff would be a good alternative (keep the high mpg but still have a little fun on the weekends). I'm just going to have to win the lottery.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
We all want to win the lottery.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
ARB is really your best bet, around $800 + install.

If you happen to find an elocker diff, you will have to modify your existing axle to make it fit...by modify you will need to trim the axle to accept the larger 3rd-member and then pick up a wiring harness ($80+) to control the e-locker...and that is if it will fit in the i4 axle housing. The V6's are usually 8.4" 3rd's where the i4's are 8.0"

BTW - if you happen to find an elocked 3rd, I have an 8.4" axle already trimmed sitting in the basement collecting dust.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #7
What is a good price range for the install work? How much crap can the locking differential really get me out of?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering if you have the lsd, can you add a switch to turn it off whenever you need it? Ive read in the manual that some tacoma have a switch, but mine doesn't.....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
I was wondering if you have the lsd, can you add a switch to turn it off whenever you need it? Ive read in the manual that some tacoma have a switch, but mine doesn't.....
the e-lockers have a switch...the lsd is automatic...whenever it feels like the maindrive tire is losing traction
Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
no_werries will become famous soon enough

no_werries's Tacoma Gallery
forget about it stick with the open diff and just hammer away!lol
Old 04-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
you have the TRD sport, which only comes with the always on lsd. The TRD offroad comes with the switched locker.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with no_werries !
Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #13
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks jhodge and lscoee!!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
jonny_jard is on a distinguished road

jonny_jard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich8419 View Post
Can the locking diff be added to an I4 prerunner regular cab? If so would it be expensive?

Rich, if you go ahead with that or get any hard information make sure you post it up, I've been thinking about this as well lately.