Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bought a ScanGauge, It Doesn't Work!

Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a ScanGauge, It Doesn't Work!

Just tried hooking up my ScanGauge for the first time. I took it right out of the box, installed the Ethernet looking cable in the back of the ScanGauge, turned the ignition on but short of starting the truck, plugged the OBDII cable into the trucks ECM and nothing.

The backlight of the ScanGauge comes on (but goes out on its own) and nothing ever comes up on the display. No "connecting" nothing.

Anyone have this problem?

Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Where did you get it, maybe @ the Vatozone up in the Germantown commons?
I bought on amazon.com. Never heard of Vatozone, is it an automotive parts place?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a phone number in the book that came with it. Give it a call, that or take it back to where you bought it and telll them it doesnt work. There is like one year warrenty on them. I had no problems with mine and I love the hell out of it once I got it set for my truck.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiekc View Post
There should be a phone number in the book that came with it. Give it a call, that or take it back to where you bought it and telll them it doesnt work. There is like one year warrenty on them. I had no problems with mine and I love the hell out of it once I got it set for my truck.

No phone number that I can find. There is an email and an address to send it back to for repairs. You are right, warranty is 1 year.

Not sure I want it repaired, I want it replaced. It's brand new. It should work!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pd3 View Post
Autozone off of Middlebrook Rd.

Thanks. I know exactly where it is. Any idea what they cost there?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
jeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeremiekc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Active Duty
Name: Jeremie
jeremiekc's Tacoma Gallery
With stuff like that they normally just replace the whole thing. It is really not worth the time and hassle to diagnos the problem and all that. I wouldnt worry to much about the difference between repair and replace. If you bought it through Amazon you dont have to worry to much about getting ripped off. Definately do not try and repair it yourself. I tried that with a vacumn cleaner and had to end up paying to have it repaired even though it was under warranty since I tried to fix it my self.

Semper Fi!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Not trying to be an a$$ but is it plugged all the way into the port? A loose connection might be why the light comes on and then goes out

If you've already tried that, sorry.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Not trying to be an a$$ but is it plugged all the way into the port? A loose connection might be why the light comes on and then goes out

If you've already tried that, sorry.

Hey no problem. That is the first thing I checked!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf023 View Post
Hey no problem. That is the first thing I checked!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksj View Post
Normal. Start the engine.
I started the engine. What's normal; plugging it in and leaving it plugged in for 10 minutes and getting...

- no pixels energized
- no letters
- no numbers
- no symbols
- no words

...NOTHING? I think not.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
ksj is on a distinguished road
ksj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
turned the ignition on but short of starting the truck

It is normal for the scangauge not to start until you start the engine. Sorry for not knowing what you meant. Next time I'll consult my crystal ball.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried pressing the button with the red circle around it?

Try plugging the cable into the other "ethernet" (not really) port.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Have you tried pressing the button with the red circle around it?

Try plugging the cable into the other "ethernet" (not really) port.

Thanks. I did try both connector ports (back and side). I also tried pressing the buttom with the red circle. I think they call it the menu buttom. Heck, I tried pressing all the buttons. I'm thinking I got an "out of box failure".
Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Banned
centraltextaco is a glorious beacon of lightcentraltextaco is a glorious beacon of lightcentraltextaco is a glorious beacon of lightcentraltextaco is a glorious beacon of lightcentraltextaco is a glorious beacon of lightcentraltextaco is a glorious beacon of light
centraltextaco's Tacoma Gallery
treat it just like a tacoma, ignore the problem, remain loyal and be very very paitent with the manufactor, nevermind you spent good money on the product.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by centraltextaco View Post
treat it just like a tacoma, ignore the problem, remain loyal and be very very paitent with the manufactor, nevermind you spent good money on the product.

Get back to the other thread
Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #18
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Name: Lee
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
"4)
Turn the vehicle on. If it can be run, start it. If it can’t be run, turn the key to the “run” position. This is the position it is normally in
when the vehicle is being driven.
5)
Plug the ScanGaugeII Plug into the OBDII socket. The ScanGaugeII derives all the power it needs from the OBDII connector. No other connections are needed for its operation. Wait for the ScanGaugeII to Connect.

NOTE
: If it does not stop saying "Connecting..." or the screen goes blank after 60 seconds, refer to “TROUBLESHOOTING” on page 24 and 25."

You can download a PDF file of the manual here: http://www.3n1autocomputer.com/support/

Good Luck,

Yuma Taco,

Old 02-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Linear Logic LLC is on a distinguished road
Linear Logic LLC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just tried hooking up my ScanGauge for the first time. I took it right out of the box, installed the Ethernet looking cable in the back of the ScanGauge, turned the ignition on but short of starting the truck, plugged the OBDII cable into the trucks ECM and nothing.

The backlight of the ScanGauge comes on (but goes out on its own) and nothing ever comes up on the display. No "connecting" nothing.

Anyone have this problem?

Any suggestions?
Hi saf023,

There is a ribbon cable that connects the display to the circuit board of the ScanGauge that can sometimes become loose causing the display to no longer display data. The backlight will still work since it pulls it's power from pins separate from the ribbon cable.

Send an E-mail to service@linear-logic.com describing your problem (or just quoting your original post and this response) or call us at 1-888-433-5664 and we can get you set up with a new unit that should work properly.

Sorry about your unit not working initially, I know how frustrating that can be.

James DeLong
Linear Logic LLC
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #20
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
I still don't have a working ScanGuage and I'm none too happy about it.

I got a second email from their customer (no) service who said they will ship a replacement today. That's basicially what the last email said on the 7th of February.