Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Snow Chains

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Snow Chains

My new mountain house is at the end of a 1/5 mile mountain road - paved - with many switchbacks and pretty steeply sloped in areas. My 2nd Gen 4x4 is useless in the snow - I've tried it.

Can anyone recommend a good set of snow chains I can get? I don't want snow tires as I only need the traction for this specific use. The roads at the base of the mountain are always clear. I've read about "self-tightening" chains but know nothing about them....I have never used chains before.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...ac_ZChain.html

I've used their cables on my highlander. I would probably use this on my truck http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction%20...Trac_QGPL.html . Because it's got tensioners.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Do you even have better tires at all? Everything ive read say the stock tires are worthless...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post
Do you even have better tires at all? Everything ive read say the stock tires are worthless...
My stock tires thus far have performed perfectly fine.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Until the snow, I changed my tires out for MT's and they do great wheeling in the snow. As for chains I have never had to use them but thought about picking up a set just in case. When you end up getting some post up how you like them and which ones you went with.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
$200 per set. F that.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
braggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbraggman7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
braggman7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2...... in the 4 total days of snow that ive had...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
valleythunder is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft Hydraulic Mech
Name: Rob
valleythunder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Except when you need to go somewhere in the snow....... ??
Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleythunder View Post
True! But in all fairness, they weren't designed for snow. Just order some Thule's on Amazon.....$139.....Autoanything's.com prices are horrible.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Afwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAfwrestler1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: B-52 Crew Chief/ Ground Radio MX/ LC-
Name: Matt
Afwrestler1986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleythunder View Post
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
$200 per set. F that.
See, the thing is, where he lives if you go off the road, there is no ditch. It just keeps going until you crash through someone's house, or reach the bottom where there is usually a creek that is probably flooded. I have lived there and driven there, you don't want to go off the road there at all.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afwrestler1986 View Post
Yup.

See, the thing is, where he lives if you go off the road, there is no ditch. It just keeps going until you crash through someone's house, or reach the bottom where there is usually a creek that is probably flooded. I have lived there and driven there, you don't want to go off the road there at all.
Correct wise one! I go off my road, I die. Period.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Just be aware that with the stock wheels, you cannot put chains on the front. If you get a set of FJ TRD rims, you can run chains in the front without a problem.

barmour's quote from TN:
"I fixed my snow chain clearance & bought the FJ cruiser TRD rims and financed em in at the dealer. These FJ TRD rims (they have other FJ type designs that may work but these are TRD) allow medium to large size snow chains to clear the UCA and other items on 265/70/16 tires without rubbing. I also was able to step up my tire size to 265/75/16's and ran my test. I did not drive around with them but I gained appx 3/4 to 1 inch more clearance over the stock trd tacoma rims."
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Just be aware that with the stock wheels, you cannot put chains on the front. If you get a set of FJ TRD rims, you can run chains in the front without a problem.

barmour's quote from TN:
"I fixed my snow chain clearance & bought the FJ cruiser TRD rims and financed em in at the dealer. These FJ TRD rims (they have other FJ type designs that may work but these are TRD) allow medium to large size snow chains to clear the UCA and other items on 265/70/16 tires without rubbing. I also was able to step up my tire size to 265/75/16's and ran my test. I did not drive around with them but I gained appx 3/4 to 1 inch more clearance over the stock trd tacoma rims."
Ordered one set for rear tires only.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
fjhutch is on a distinguished road
Name: Hutch
fjhutch's Tacoma Gallery
Amazon has the SCC chains # ZT741 for $73.27 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRA6PQ

Cheers,
Hutch
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #16
brandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the roughbrandob9 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Brandon
brandob9's Tacoma Gallery
Snowies are where its at. The Dunlops are useless for anything other than lots of efficient miles during the summer.

Products Discussed in this Thread