LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ARB Lockers

Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Dirt..ee is on a distinguished road
Dirt..ee's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Lockers

I am looking to put in ARB air lockers front and back. Does anyone know if the open diff mode (lockers not engaged but in 4 wheel drive) operates with the same characteristics as the stock open diff when in 4 wheel drive?
Old 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it will operate as open differential just as long as you don't turn on the locker.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have a locker in the front diff here? how do you like them?
(I will be putting one in when I get a truck)
Old 02-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Series1000 View Post
Does anyone have a locker in the front diff here? how do you like them?
(I will be putting one in when I get a truck)
Few things to consider
1. Front locker on IFS is more for loose ground, mud, snow only. Otherwise you will be blowing CV's very often.( you still get few spare ones and familiarize yourself with replacement procedure)
2. Your truck locked on the front and rear will have turning radius of aircraft carrier.
3. You may want to consider low lift if you running a front locker. Too much stress on components at weird angle. 1.5 inch most likely would be a top.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
hmm, I was hoping for a 2.5 OME inch lift, would a limited slip be better?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hmm, I was hoping for a 2.5 OME inch lift, would a limited slip be better?
You can have 3 inch lift as long as you install 1.5 diff drop o nthe front. Otherwise CV's may have too much angle to handle when locked.
Also I dont think there is limited slip for 2gen front.
Then again I may be thinking too much in terms of 1gens that had 27 spline CV's
Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Gots a Taco!
Hmm, I can only seem to find arb lockers rd111 and rd121 for the 05+

BTW sorry for the hijack Dirt..ee
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Who needs a front locker when you have ATRAC? Nah a front locker is better but I'd never install one on something that is IFS.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
Gots a Taco!
I was thinkin about getting a trd sport. Then it would have a limited slip rear diff and a locked front. In my opinion the best combo.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I was thinkin about getting a trd sport. Then it would have a limited slip rear diff and a locked front. In my opinion the best combo.
? Tacomas don't have anything in the front. If you mean you will lock the front later ok but stock there is nothing.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Gots a Taco!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
? Tacomas don't have anything in the front. If you mean you will lock the front later ok but stock there is nothing.
Sorry, I was talking about adding an arb locker a few posts up, and I ment after I add the locker it would have a locked front and a limited slip rear. So when the going gets tough I can press the tough button
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #12
diablo_Alex2777 is just really nicediablo_Alex2777 is just really nicediablo_Alex2777 is just really nicediablo_Alex2777 is just really nicediablo_Alex2777 is just really nice
Name: Alejandro Gonzalez
diablo_Alex2777's Tacoma Gallery
I have E-locker on the back and i have 05 tacoma and only use them maybe 4 -6 time this hole time. all you really need is the rear. save some money on Cv's. and become a better drive jk.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Banned
Well this past weekend I went wheeling and I got in a situation where ATRAC alone helped and the locker with ATRAC and locker alone didn't. Maybe I didn't try hard enough and it was my first time wheeling my Tacoma. I'll have to try the same hill again.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
Has anyone on here installed the ARB in the rear?? Was it difficult?? I'm pretty mechanicaly inclined so I'm sure I could do it, just wondering if its worth paying someone to do it for me.
An ARB install is NOT to be taken lightly. Along with the install of the locker, you have to do a 'gear setup' - also, not to be taken lightly.

If it's not done right.... you'll be blowing $800 of ARB out the window.

If you're not familiar with the ARB and what's involved to install them - then I'd highly recommend paying a professional to do it.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I understand the seriousness of a diff install and have done a few on older yota's, just wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on the newer Taco's. How much would it cost to have someone install it??
Shop around...the cost can vary. Make sure it's a reputable shop that has plenty of experience installing ARB's.

Back in 2001 in my Jeep - I had 2 axles (D44's) and had ARB's, gearing (4.56), bearings, & seals installed in both axles for $1200 labor at Hoaks 4WD. One guy is known for his work and has been installing ARB's for YEARS. We trusted his work...and didn't mind paying the cost. Those ARB's & gears lasted for 8 years at least - we sold the jeep and they were still going strong.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #16

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So in the ballpark around $600 just for the rear
you are in NC you have some of the the best shops there
Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #17

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
?? There's maybe 2 that I could think off that I would trust to do an ARB install. What shops do you know of??
IronPig offroad is in VA not sure how far from you but htey are well known in Land Cruiser world
http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/
and I think east coast gear is in NC as well

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-613...r-lockers.html
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
I like ze best!
Rhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRhino8541 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rhino8541's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda want a locker, but I would probably regear at the same time.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Shoulda got an OR. HA!
A Non E-locker rear end is a bigger, (stronger) unit. You could argue equipped with and ARB it would be a better set up, especially if you upgrade the compressor for added on board air...

Products Discussed in this Thread