Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Avid Offroad sliders

Old 11-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #41
Nightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Nick
Nightwar's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine line-x'ed. They are weld on ones, but I ended up just bolting them to the frame.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
nautms is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
nautms's Tacoma Gallery
Avid custom sliders on 2012 DCSB

Here is my review of the newly installed custom bolt on Avid kicked up sliders that I just had made by Brandon at Avid. I don't have a snapfish acct so i had to attach the pics....sorry, there are a couple that are sideways.

Allow me to first provide you with a couple of notes on Avid's professionalism and customer service:

BRANDON AND THE BOYS ARE FANTASTIC!!!Yes, these sliders cost me a premium because these were custom but it was well worth it. If you are looking for great customer service and satisfaction coupled with outstanding quality of product, give Brandon an email at:
Brandon@avidoffroad.com and throw some business his way.

I ordered both the light bar with 2 light tabs and these custom kicked out sliders from Brandon. I was in AZ on business and actually went to his house in AZ to pick up the light bar. Eventhough Avid was in the midst of a shop relocation, Brandon was more than accommodating to wrapping the bar well so it was not damaged on my flight back to the PAC NW.

Ok, here is what you will need to install these:

-2 jack stands with the heads wrapped in rags (to support and hold in place the sliders for mounting)
-3/8" torque wrench. I tightened the bolts to 200 inch lbs. may need a bit more, I will keep an eye on it but with the red loctite they shouldn't go anywhere.
-12 M8 x 30mm x 1.25 thread stainless steel bolts with matching washers.
-Red loctite (to secure the bolts in place).
-4 rattle cans of RUSTOLUEM spray in bed liner ($7.98/ea at Lowes). I contemplated LINEX or powder coating but I wanted an easy touch up solution for when they chip/ scratch. Also, Linex gets dingy looking as it ages...it also costs a fortune and is heavy.

Attached are several pictures of the before, during and after install. This is a very easy job as the 6 bolt holes (3 sets of 2 bolts) on each of the sliders line up perfectly with the factory pre-drilled holes under the taco. You merely have to unscrew the thread savers on each side. You just need to supply the bolts and washers.

I wanted to use these are functional sliders/ steps for the wife and the sliders stick out just about 3" on the parallel sections (kickouts are about 5"). You can surely use the front kickout and the OH SHIT handle to get in the truck as well (that is what I have been doing). The clearance under the doors are about 1".

I used 3 coats of the RUSTOLEUM bed liner (equal to 3.5 cans with a half can left for touch up) for these as well as the light bar and the bars are solid. I used a space heater to speed up the curing/drying process between coats in my garage. They mounted very simply and firmly. I am ready to rock now. I hope this review solves some issues for those on the fence about a set of sliders. Again, give Brandon your business!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Avid Offroad sliders-img_1634.jpg   Avid Offroad sliders-img_1635.jpg   Avid Offroad sliders-img_1677.jpg   Avid Offroad sliders-img_1746.jpg   Avid Offroad sliders-img_1752.jpg  

Avid Offroad sliders-img_1754.jpg   Avid Offroad sliders-img_1756.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #43
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
The sliders in the post just befor this are interesting in that they have a "Kick Out" at the front as well as at the back. And the design looks good as well. I have Brandon building me a set soon and requested the simple back kick-out. I like your idea for the finish as well and may do this once mine are home and welded on.

Nice install!
Old 12-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #44
Norville is on a distinguished road
Name: Art
Norville's Tacoma Gallery
Hi,

I send an inquiry to Avid twice but no response ... I have a pair of bolt-on sliders due from powder coating soon and wanted to know what the recommended torque is for install if anyone has some insight.

Thanks much.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #45
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
I live about 40 miles from Avid Off-Road and ordered a set of Slider from them a few weeks ago. I went to pick them up today at their shop and was quite impressed with the quality of them. The welds are really consistient and heavy. And they are fully welded around the full perimeter of every tube joint, well gusseted and just strong looking in every way.

I was planning to stop in, pay the balance, load them in the back of my truck and be gone. The Guys there were professional and friendly, and we got to talking about welding the sliders onto my truck. I have a good welder but am very novice at welding and was going to have a good welder buddy come over and help me with the idea being I could learn while watching him and do some welding myself.

Well I asked if they ever welded the sliders on and as they were not too busy we came to a quick agreement on price (extremely reasonable!) so I got them welded on while I was there! The same guy who had fabricated the sliders welded them onto my truck and again more SWEET welding. These guys (Avid Off-Road) are very talented, pleasant to chat with and sell some great products. I will be back for certain!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #46
snowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowshredder555 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ted
snowshredder555's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
I live about 40 miles from Avid Off-Road and ordered a set of Slider from them a few weeks ago. I went to pick them up today at their shop and was quite impressed with the quality of them. The welds are really consistient and heavy. And they are fully welded around the full perimeter of every tube joint, well gusseted and just strong looking in every way.

I was planning to stop in, pay the balance, load them in the back of my truck and be gone. The Guys there were professional and friendly, and we got to talking about welding the sliders onto my truck. I have a good welder but am very novice at welding and was going to have a good welder buddy come over and help me with the idea being I could learn while watching him and do some welding myself.

Well I asked if they ever welded the sliders on and as they were not too busy we came to a quick agreement on price (extremely reasonable!) so I got them welded on while I was there! The same guy who had fabricated the sliders welded them onto my truck and again more SWEET welding. These guys (Avid Off-Road) are very talented, pleasant to chat with and sell some great products. I will be back for certain!

Wow! This is really nice to hear...I don't get on here much and when I do, it usually isn't to research the company. I'm glad I did... Thank you to all who have either considered using Avid or who have. The support and kind words a genuinely appreciated. Desert Drifter, it was our pleasure to get you taken care of and I'm glad everything worked out the way it did for you. Please keep us updated if there's anything else we can help with.

-Ted
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #47
Fuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shedFuse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fuse's Tacoma Gallery
I got my bolt on sliders from Avid before Christmas, had them powdercoated, and put them on about a month ago. Extremely pleased with the quality of them! And all the other gear they have made for me for that matter.