Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Air Deflector for Topper?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rear Air Deflector for Topper?

Hey All,
This isn't necessarily 2nd Gen specific, but I thought I'd start it here.

I've got a Leer 100XL on the back of my Speedway Blue TRD OR Access Cab. In anything but dry and clean conditions, the tailgate and the back window of the topper get absolutely COVERED in dust, spray, mud, monkey dung, snow, or whatever I'm driving through. To address this, I've been looking for a spoiler or deflector to install at the back of my truck cap to deflect some air downward and hopefully reshape the airflow enough that at least my rear window would stay clean. I'd prefer to not drill into the fiberglass, but I'm willing to consider some options and execute them properly if it means a nice looking and practical solution.

I've searched the forums, googled my heart out, searched the manufacturers' websites. All nothing. The only semi-promising product I found was a Lund wing that's discontinued and is model specific. I need to find a truck with a very similar rear profile to that of my Leer topper, and I'm considering buying one of these and retro-fitting.

Otherwise, does anyone know of a nice/clean looking alternative that's produced for just this type of situation?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
swendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedswendling12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
swendling12's Tacoma Gallery
My old man keeps telling me to get one for my truck (09 RC w/ARE cap) After removing my rear mudflaps it really gets dirty fast.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, due to the underwhelming response to this question, I've got a different one.

I've got the Thule rain gutters/racks and I've been looking at the Thule wind deflector. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking that it *might* be an option for me if mounted facing rearward on the rear load bar. Not sure how it sits or what it needs to be stable though.

Does anyone have a wind deflector for their topper-mounted Thule rack who could take a pic of it mounted as described above? Don't want to go and buy it if it's going to look goofy, after all... Also curious as to how it would handle the wind when mounted backward as it appears to me that it's designed to be pushed down by the wind.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
kaban is on a distinguished road
Name: Kris
kaban's Tacoma Gallery
Hi! Did you find any solution by now? I'm looking for something too. Thx!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Right bassman, that's why I'm looking for a wind deflector that would kick the wind down over the back of the truck. It would stick up a little into the airflow and scoop some air down to push dust or snow or whatever along the back window kinda like my fantastic diagram below.

Back /--------------- front

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting problem and one i've found is a hassle as well. Back on the topper is always dusty, no matter what.

You may be on to something with the backwards Thule wind deflector. I've seen them on a few trucks so i'd imagine someone will share a pic...
Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
It sure is possible. I knew someone that had an old '80 hatchback that had a rear air deflector instead of a wiper. The deflector was clearly directing air downward from the top of the car and he told me that it worked pretty well.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this?

http://www.google.com/search?q=truck...gKHp4DQAQ#i=28
Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking lower profile like 1990 civic H.B. https://www.google.com/search?q=1990...0&bih=416#i=86
Old 10-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
Windjammer

http://images.autoaccessories4less.c...windjammer.jpg

Mopar air deflector

Old 10-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of school busses have these to aid in keeping the rear window clear.

Unfortunately for us, I have never come across something similar. I also have a Leer 100XL. I've basically given up trying to look through the rear windows, especially at night and dirty.

On another note OP: did you look into getting the power lock accessory for your canopy?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #13
the logical one
fixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfixer5000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
fixer5000's Tacoma Gallery
i had that mopar one on my 99 grand cherokee...waste of money really...so was that jeep as a matter of fact
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
my rear topper window gets everybit as dirty as my wife's subaru forester rear window. and she has the "Wing" deflector.

lucky her car has that rear washer..we use it all the time. not so sure a deflector is gonna improve things.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
If done right, the deflector basically scoops a little bit of air and sends a layer of it down the window. I recall my father's mid-80s S10 Blazer had this when I was a kid and it worked like a champ compared to others without.

Not exactly what i was thinking, but here's something more like it:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gts-56256/overview/

But now that introduces other issues like covering up my 3rd brake light, blocking my rear glass from opening, etc...

Back to the search...either for a product or for patience to deal with the covered window.

Cheers.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Beast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeast Mode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Beast Mode's Tacoma Gallery
I do not have a link for you OP, nor a product in mind, but what you are describing is kind of like what the 4th gen 4runners have (and 3rd gen's too). They call it a spoiler, but the design is to do just what you are saying, keep the back window clean(er). They actually redesigned the spoiler in 2006 with a "hump" to aid in pushing the air downwards. To me it would seem that whatever fairing or windjammer product would need to be stuck to canopy's glass, not the top of the canopy. This is coming from my past 4runner's as reference.